Brewer Fanatic

Firefox 3?

pitchleague

So I noticed that Firefox v3 came out today. Was anybody here a beta tester and give advice about how much better it is than v2? I know the website tells all about the enhancements but I was looking to see here if anybody has experience with their "improvements" before I download it and get rid of v. 2. I like v. 2 as it is and don't want to get something all full of bugs.

Thanks in advance.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I love the new address bar. It remembers things you've looked at in the past and actively searches both web addresses AND titles of pages previously viewed, making navigation that much easier. Pages also seem to be quicker to load. Beyond that, I didn't notice much different, but I'm not a power user.

I just downloaded it and don't see too big of a difference. The most visited tab up top is sort of cool. I was disappointed that my plugins from v2 don't work with the new one, but I'm sure they'll come in time. In the mean time, I'm lost without my mouse gestures plug-in!

It does seem to be a little faster though; it seems as if it downloads the whole page and then goes back for all the images moreso than before, but I might just be imagining things.

I tried the Beta for a while as the new version is supposed to help fix the memory leak that 2 has but I went back to 2 after I learned there is no auto spell check. I need that.

Edit: Just noticed they added the spell checker now so I am going to check it out.

I saw that this was being released today and decided to give it a try. I had been using IE and was becoming increasingly frustrated by the time it took to load most sites. Even though its been less than a day, I can't believe how much better Firefox is. Every page loads right away with no errors, and it has yet to crash( a more than daily occurrence with IE). I would recommend anyone who uses IE to switch.

I've been using Firefox of a year and a half now. I can't go back to IE at all. It just seems clunky and slow. It annoys me. I'm planning on downloading Firefox3 tomorrow.

edit: I could not wait and downloaded it. It's awesome. Much improved. It seems faster and smoother. Plus it looks better. In my opinion Firefox is superior to IE in every way there is.

. IE just seems like a joke at this point.

It is and always has been.

Firefox is getting a bit more bloated and slow than I would like, but it's still a great option. Opera is also great, and Safari isn't too bad - if not a little buggy. IE is really a last resort, even if IE7 is on the path to improvement.

I ended up downloading it as well. It's pretty much the same thing as v.2 with a few bells and whistles thrown in. I haven't noticed any speed difference, though.

The one thing that I do like is that it appears that it "remembers" your zoom settings. What I mean is my monitor has a 1920x1200 native resolution which makes websites pretty small until I use the CTRL-mouse wheel to zoom in on the sites. On version 2, I had to zoom it every time I went to, say, Brewerfan (or pretty much any site). But with version 3, it remembers how far zoomed in I was and it goes back to it! Nice!

EDIT: Not so nice, after all. Once you get to a certain point of zooming in, you start to have the need for horizontal scrolling (left-to-right) as things get cut off the edge of the screen. This problem did not exist in version 2 as I could zoom until a site was just humongous and it would still fit on the screen without any horizontal scrolling. So this is kind of a bummer and might give me reason to switch back to version 2. Sigh.

EDIT2: Well, I'm pretty sure that I'm switching back. There seems to be a problem with any page on this site (and others) where a picture or video has been inserted and completely bungles the zoom function so the picture/video is too pixelated to see what it is. That and the horizontal scrolling is even worse on those pages. Ugh, I've been very disappointed now that I've had the chance to tinker.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Archived