Brewer Fanatic

Is Ponson worth a gamble?

I see the oft-maligned Sidney Ponson was put on waivers. Does anyone think that the Brewers would go after him, considering the numerous character issues that have defined him in his career?

I doubt it. He got released for behavior detrimental to the team or something like that.

I doubt it. He got released for behavior detrimental to the team or something like that.

Yeah it was because he was throwing hissy-fits when there was a change in the rotation, and also apparently he liked to drink a little too much.

Was just curious though if Melvin would take a flier on him given the Dave Bush situation

Yeah it was because he was throwing hissy-fits when there was a change in the rotation, and also apparently he liked to drink a little too much.

Was just curious though if Melvin would take a flier on him given the Dave Bush situation

Wasn't Ponson also the one who punched out an Aruban Judge in a beach brawl a couple offseasons ago?

He also started a fight in hotel bar recently which helped precipitate his release for embarrassing the team as the GM called it.

I would stay far away from this guy especially if the team is starting to feel frustrated about performing below expectations. The only silver lining I can see is the team keeping as a comic relief for the long road trips, watching him get plastered in a hotel bar and picking fights with people and beligerantly swinging and swearing at everyone.

Texas may have been his last best chance. When they signed him he said all the right things: he's matured, refocused, in the best shape of his life, and quit drinkin' and partyin'. Then, the night before his last start in Florida he got into a fight with teammates as they tried to drag his drunken fat self out of the hotel bar. Add in a couple clubhouse hissy fits already, and you have a very troubled guy who's clearly not off the sauce and may never be. This all after he assured everyone he was clean and sober. Fool me once....

Sidney Ponson hasn't been good in ages. He is noteworthy now only for his behavioral issues, not his abilities on a baseball diamond. The Brewers already dumped Jeff Weaver their would be no point in adding a Weaver clone with behavioral issues.

One of the few things I dislike about professional sports is the lack of a "moral compass," which I think stems directly from the lack of ability to discipline players. The monetary fines are jokes to most of the players, and if a team tries to "do the right thing" and cuts someone for ridiculously bad behavior, they still have to pay the player, and the player will quickly find work with another team. I'm glad to see football finally stepping up and banning people from the league, which may be the only thing that gets through to some people.

I feel that probably 99% of the professional athletes in this country are good people. This post is directed at the few athletes who feel they're above the law, and are proven correct in that assumption again and again as teams will overlook almost anything if they think a player can help their team win.

I hope the Brewers steer far clear of Ponson. Unfortunately, some team will look past all of the ugly and look at the only thing that's important to many in the sports world: "Can he still play ball?"

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Was Ponson ever good? I remember Gammons touting him as the next Tom Seaver about ten years ago but he never fufilled his promise.

Edit: Yeah, I guess he had one 'good' year in 2003 when he split time between Baltimore and SF (and his 02 was pretty decent). Other than that his numbers are pretty mediocre.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

He's been mediocre, but he's perfectly capbale to be a 5th starter for half the teams in MLB.

He's been mediocre?

Except for his smoke and mirrors 3.88 ERA so far this year, these are his numbers at all his stops since 2003

ERA/WHIP/BAA

5.30/1.55/.305

6.21/1.73/.331

10.47/2.02/.351

5.24/1.62/.308

6.93/1.88/.335

That's not mediocre in my book, that's pretty damn crappy. I'd rather take my chances any day of the week with some unproven kid in the minors before wasting time picking up this stiff. That doesn't even taken into account that the guy seems like an idiot on top of being a crappy pitcher.

Archived