Brewer Fanatic

Braun v Fukudome - VOTE NOW FOR THE ALL-STAR GAME (merged with Braun 4th in All-Star voting)

Weirdos19
  • Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply
everyone is trying to prove a point but be realistic, you will vote however you want and just leave it at that, this so called discussion is going nowhere and not changing any minds. yes the points are valid but really dont matter. this if you want to prove your point go and vote for the players with better obp. and the people that want to see their favorite players will vote for them. correct me if im wrong but that what the all star game is nowadays anyway right?

How is that objective when nobody came close to saying that, or accusing others of saying something similar?

I didn't mean my (admittedly) snarky/overstated comment was objective, just that the discussion of why there are other players that are more deserving (or perhaps more deserving) for the ASG than Braun was objective observation. Sorry... I worded that post (#134) poorly.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I voted for Brewers across the board even though only one of the guys I voted for deserves to go. I'm a Brewers fan and frankly I don't care whether or not Chase Utley or Lance Berkman gets their "deserved" all-star spot. I really don't. I don't feel like I should have to defend that position. I only care about my favorite players. I'd rather turn on a nationally televised spectacle and see as many Brewers in the lineup as possible than I would players I don't care about on teams I don't care about.

That's just how I feel about the whole AS thing. I think some people take it way too seriously.

I don't believe we have an All-Star thread yet, so I figured why not give one a start. What got me thinking about it was comparing stats for a few players for Fantasy Baseball, when I came across the amazing seasons Chase Utley and Dan Uggla are having. It's quite phenomenal.

(I can't get a link to work...)

Uggla - .296/.377/.648, 23 homers, 24 doubles, OPS+ 168 (also 86 K's, if it weren't for all the doubles, I would say a possible mini-3TO)

Utley - .291/.380/.600, 22 homers, OPS+ 149 (he already equaled his HR total from all of last year)

I think those two are a pretty safe bet. Oddly enough, though, besides the homers, Utley is having a similar year to last year. His SLG is up, but his OBP is down.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

Last year the NL took 4 first basemen and 7 outfielders. I'd put Fielder 4 and Braun 8th. Considering defense and position, I'd still argue Fielder has been at least as valuable as Braun this year, and likely more. I didn't even think of the DH, which would only make Fielder's odds even better.

Mainly, my point is that Braun is getting all the hype and support from Brewer fans, and I really haven't heard anything about Fielder deserving a spot.

Considering defense and position, I'd still argue Fielder has been at least as valuable as Braun this year, and likely more.

I'm not sure that I understand this. I always thought 1B was the "easiest" position, and Fielder's defense has been atrocious this year. Even with the learning curve, I think Braun has been better defensively than Fielder. I guess it would be hard to measure an infielder against an outfielder defensively, though.

~Nottso

Community Moderator

Update: with a week to go, Braun is still trailing:

Braun closed the gap on Griffey by only about 20,000 votes. Last week, he was 195,733 behind Griffey. This week, Braun trails by 175,176.

Considering defense and position, I'd still argue Fielder has been at least as valuable as Braun this year, and likely more.

I'm not sure that I understand this. I always thought 1B was the "easiest" position, and Fielder's defense has been atrocious this year.

You're right, I just worded it poorly. I should have said "Even considering defense and position, I'd still... bla bla." Fielder is awful and an easier position than Braun, but I still think he's been the better player.

Fair enough. I figured you meant something different. Considering how well he's been hitting lately, I could definitely see that. Fielder has been very patient at the plate all year even as fans were getting on him about being a vegetarian and not hitting homers. He just kept taking his walks (sometimes to the point of driving me crazy), and now he's getting his homers.

OWBC, you're at 1,000 posts now! You can say whatever you want!

~Nottso

Update: with a week to go, Braun is still trailing:

Braun closed the gap on Griffey by only about 20,000 votes. Last week, he was 195,733 behind Griffey. This week, Braun trails by 175,176.

I thought it was kind of funny that Brian and Bill were saying how a lot of the Brewers would probably make a big jump cause of their high attendance at the recent home stand. I wonder if they realize that a lot more people vote on the internet than at the stadium.

I thought it was kind of funny that Brian and Bill were saying how a lot of the Brewers would probably make a big jump cause of their high attendance at the recent home stand. I wonder if they realize that a lot more people vote on the internet than at the stadium.

I was at 2 games last week, and they didn't even come pass out All-Star ballots in the seats, as they have for about as long as I can remember. Tuesday night I never even left my seat, so I know I didn't just miss it. I don't think I've been to a game yet that they handed out ballots this year.

Community Moderator

Usually voting jumps do follow homestands. People at least hear about it at the ballpark, even if they don't fill out ballots while they are at the game.

I thought he would do better too, but I guess we forget that the Reds have fans too (and they were also on a long home stand before this weekend)

There's also a lot of people who are just fans of Ken Griffey, Jr. and know this could possibly be his last All-Star game. Junior is the kind of player that has fans across the league that will vote for him. I also think it's harder to catch the leading vote getters in the outfield, since you're voting for 3 players instead of just one -- how many people (not necessarily just Brewers fans) do you think voted for both Braun AND Griffey on the same ballot, essentially negating any votes Braun would gain?

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

The home stand just ended so those votes are probably not all counted. Who knows. But regardless of whether Braun deserves it (and Lord knows that's been debated enough), the reality is there are 3 spots for 4 players. And I'd rather see Braun start than the others so I'll keep voting for him.

I believe that Braun deserves to be a part of the all-stars, but to leave Corey out of the conversation is just crazy.

His stats are every bit as good as Holliday, Lee, & Ankiel. All who are receiving more votes than Corey. I know that it is a popularity contest for the starters, but if you look at everyone else stats, Corey is in more of the top 10 categories than any other eligible outfielder.

I know it's a long shot, but doesn't anybody else see the logic behind him being selected.

Hopefully the tired "his OBP isn't good enough" debate doesn't start up again. IT DOESN'T MATTER. The bottom line is one of these two guys is going to be the starter, like it or not. So if you will enjoy the game more with Braun as the starter you have 2 1/2 days to vote.

Archived