Brewer Fanatic

Braun v Fukudome - VOTE NOW FOR THE ALL-STAR GAME (merged with Braun 4th in All-Star voting)

Weirdos19
  • Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I like the way the NFL compiles its All-Stars much better with a weighted system of fan, player, and coach votes. The product of putting everything in the fans' hands is what we see in the American league. If the Yankees had been winning up to this point, the entire starting lineup would be from Boston or NY.

Is it wrong that I'm tempted to vote for Burrell, McLouth and Bay over Braun?
No, I wouldn't vote for Braun either. I would be more tempted to vote for Hart than Braun. I can't vote for a player who is bad in an area that I consider very important for a player.(OBP) The best I can do is not vote for anybody rather than against either.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Is it 25 times a day or 25 times period? I think it was 25 total internet votes last year and this year it says I have already voted 25 times. Anybody else besides zzzmanwitz and I haveing problems?

Bill Hall is the 4th outfielder. What a joke of a system.

Let the coaches and players vote determine the starters. Let the fan vote determine the reserves. Therefore fans still get to see their "favorite stars", yet deserving players dominate the roster.

Bill Hall is the 4th outfielder. What a joke of a system.

Let the coaches and players vote determine the starters. Let the fan vote determine the reserves. Therefore fans still get to see their "favorite stars", yet deserving players dominate the roster.

That's a really good idea

As for Braun, I consider OBP to be twice as important as SLG so after giving it that weighting, Braun is the 15th best OF in the NL right now. I would probably vote for Burrel, Ludwick and McClouth.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I know I'm supposed to be a homer but it's hard to justify wanting a guy with a .316 OBP to start in the all star game. Then again, I don't agree with the 3 guys ahead of him, either. It just turns into a silly popularity contest, with the large markets getting a big advantage. Griffey might not even be average at this point in his career! 7 of the 9 starters in the AL may be from the Yankees or Boston!

Well it's always been a silly popularity contest since fan voting was restored 38 years ago. And since that's the case we might as well vote for a player we want to see play rather than one that "deserves" it.

Is it 25 times a day or 25 times period? I think it was 25 total internet votes last year and this year it says I have already voted 25 times. Anybody else besides zzzmanwitz and I haveing problems?

25 per day per email address. I have a bunch of email addresses so I can vote a lot every day. In years past I had to reset the cookies in order to vote with more than one email address but I haven't had to do that this year.

Braun may not entirely deserve a starting spot, or a place on the team at all, but it's important for us to flex our Brewer fan muscles. A starter in the ASG two years in a row would be an impressive accomplishment. If you're not going to vote for Braun, please don't vote for Fukudome or Soriano.

Well, if you feel that OBP is the most important stat for an outfielder, than no, I guess you aren't supposed to vote for him.

I think, for any player at any position, one should weight each component stat (walks, hits, outs) in terms of how well they contribute to "runs scored" on a team level. It's pretty simple Braun has insane power but makes a lot of outs. He's still having a very nice year with the stick but about 8 other outfielders are doing better.

You still want to vote for him? Great. I would enjoy seeing him start in the All Star game.

The bottom line is will you enjoy watching the game more with Braun in the starting lineup? If so you vote for him. If not vote for whoever you will enjoy watching more. We can argue over whether he deserves it or not but that's not how it works and it's not how fans of other teams vote either.

We can argue over whether he deserves it or not but that's not how it works and it's not how fans of other teams vote either.

Are you sure? I've heard a lot about fans weighing each component stat in terms of how well they contribute to "runs scored" on a team level and then basing their votes on that.

I voted for Braun because he is one of the few Brewers that is having a good year and also has a chance at getting enough votes to be a starter.

We can argue over whether he deserves it or not but that's not how it works and it's not how fans of other teams vote either.

I'm the only fan that attempts to weigh actual on field production when filling out my all-star selection sheet? Say it ain't so!

I'm the only fan that attempts to weigh actual on field production when filling out my all-star selection sheet? Say it ain't so!

That's great if you want to do it that way. You are not alone I'm sure. But if the realistic choices in the outfield are going to be Soriano, Fukudome, Griffey and Braun (and that's what they are this year), I'm voting Braun.

Braun does not deserve to be an All-Star starter based upon his season thus far. He simply makes too many outs. That being said, I am rooting for him to start because it would be fun to watch him play and represent the Brewers.

You are in the minority though a rather small minority of fans that vote based on how well a player is playing. 25% will just look at HR, RBI, and Average to determine who they should vote for. 60% will just vote for their teams players. 10% will vote for a popular player. 5% will vote on players deserving to be in the game based on OBP and other stats.

Just a rough estimation but it is probably more than likely true to what it would boil down to.

Or there is more to a baseball player than a guy who walks but has no power or batting average. Valuing walks at 2x SLG, I would say is a little extreme. I'll take the guy who hits .330 with a .375 OBP over a guy who hits .240 with a .375 OBP all day long since he might actually drive that run in from 2nd base with 2 outs or 1 out and not just walk and hope the next guy can drive him in or avoid the DP. I'll take the hits of Braun of which many are extra bases over the walks of a Gabe Gross or Counsell any day.

Brewerfan.net, the first fan site to lobby against our team's players starting in an All Star game. Eat that Sons of Sam Horn.

If we were true fans we'd start a petition and send it to MLB lobbying that no Brewer be selected to the All Star game this year.

Archived