Brewer Fanatic

Braun v Fukudome - VOTE NOW FOR THE ALL-STAR GAME (merged with Braun 4th in All-Star voting)

Weirdos19
I guess that is just where we disagree. While I have no problem w/ Beltran, Bay (to some extent.. I guess a Pirate is needed), and Burrell being in the ASG, I dont see a need for Brian Giles to be there. This game, despite having some meaning (Where game 7 of WS gets played, if it comes to that), is still just an exhibition. It's an exhibition for the nation. It's not an award ceremony. They hand out player of the week and player of the month awards for productive players in the first half of the season. It's an All-Star Game. Deserving or not, Fair or Not, I could give two clicks. The game is a chance for players with Star Appeal to play together and put on a show for the nation in an exhibition. You want to play in an All-Star Game, how about start by being the best and most popular player on your own team (in relation to McClouth).

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brawndo, I thought I'd emphasize that I am only speaking on behalf of what the thread concerns and not trying to engage in an argument over Braun vs the 9 players you mentioned. And again, this is just in relation to the question posed in the title thread (Fukudome vs Braun). Braun to me is the Star, Fukudome is just well known and well-liked in a country an ocean away. I wouldn't even consider him a superstar on the field. Pat Burrell and Carlos Beltran are absolutely Stars and deserve argument for the ASG in addition to their statistical production. But in the purpose of the thread, Braun vs Fukudome, the obvious star to me is Ryan Braun.

Fukudome is a huge star with his own press following playing for the 3rd most popular team in baseball that leads its division. Braun isn't even having the best season for an outfielder on his own team in the smallest media market.

Fukudome=Galaxy

Braun=Red Dwarf

Ok I don't understand this... why do we want our young players to make the all-star game anyway? It raises their value and makes them harder to resign. Personally I'd rather they rested for 3 days for a pennant chase.

Ok I don't understand this... why do we want our young players to make the all-star game anyway? It raises their value and makes them harder to resign. Personally I'd rather they rested for 3 days for a pennant chase.
Yeah I thought about that too, but

Braun is already signed

and its not my money. I want our players to play good so the team does well.

In the case of Sheets, Ihope he doesn't pitch in the all star game or if he does it is one inning.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I'll never get why people consider previous season(s) when voting for all stars.

I'll never get why All-Stars should be selected based on two months worth of performance, or less than a half-season of performance.

I'll agree that All-Stars should not be selected based on what they did several years ago, but you have to include the second-half performance of the previous season because basing it on eight weeks of performance (voting started in MAY) is an even bigger joke.

If the point of the All Star game was to select the best players right now (at least, our best guess at the best players), you'd probably weigh the 80 games from the current season at about 30-35% and previous performance for the balance. Statistically, somewhere around the 130 game mark is when you should weigh the current season as much as all the previous seasons (50/50)

In reality, people just vote for their favorite players, which is fine, of course. Trying to make "it count" and still allowing the fans to vote makes no sense, though.

I voted 25 times ending at 735 CDT last night. I tried to vote tonight, but was barred.

Frankly, the online vote is bovine leavings. If I manage to take an awl or curcuit tester into a game (sorry brewers, not hard) I can vote as many times as I like. As long as I get a paper ballot. I guesss it it is more important to bar my online malfeasance than poking out an eye...

I'm actually trying to find out if Braun's current .313 OBP would be the lowest ever for an All-Star starter. Anyone know where I could find this info? I haven't had any luck. I imagine there's a catcher or something who had one lower, but it has to be lowest ever for an outfielder, doesn't it?

I know Bucky Dent -- 1981, there was a big deal made about that as Dent got the nod over Yount.

EDIT: -- I am sure that many of the 70s SS -- Bowa, Patek, etc... will have .300 OBPs.

I am sure an OF will pop up.

EDIT2: -- I am certain you will find some guys that had crappy OBPs that were at the end of their HOF career (Willie Mays), or a prenniel AS player that was hurt or having a bad year (Strawberry), or a guy that was part of a good team that had lots of other members (Vince Coleman).

I don't think you will find a many players like Braun though..., i.e. not a prenniel AS, or not a guy winding down a long career.

I know it's not official until the "All Star Selection Show" on TBS, but any word on how things ended up shaking out with the vote?

I don't know about the final tally, but MLB.com had an article yesterday about the final day of voting, and they said Braun and Fukudome were a virtual tie, with the two switching places multiple times heading into the final day of online voting, which is typically the day they get the most votes. I don't think anyone will know until TBS flashes the graphics on Sunday, although I'm sure ESPN will try to steal TBS' thunder sometime before then.

The ultimate irony would be that Braun hits a game-winning home run for the NL, giving the league home field advantage in the World Series -- only to see the Cubs, who can't seem to win on the road, make the World Series and win in 7 games because of Braun's HR in the All-Star Game. On a scale of 1-10, how much would that suck for Brewers fans?

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

I was thinking more along the lines of 27, or so. I also have no doubts that if Braun beats out Fukudome, Cub fans will be screaming conspiracy. The next thing we know, there'll be an HBO documentary with Cub fans digging through the garbage at MLB headquarters, looking for the counted ballot ticker-tapes.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

I'm actually trying to find out if Braun's current .313 OBP would be the lowest ever for an All-Star starter.

If it is will you gasp in horror?

I'm already horrified by his OBP. Just looking for some historical comparison. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Archived