Brewer Fanatic

Willie Randolph fired, Jerry Manuel in as NY Mets manager.

JoeHova

It finally happened, after weeks (or maybe months) of speculation. I don't know that Manuel is any kind of answer, though he did win a manager of the year award, iirc. He was the Mets bench coach this year.

There was also a coaching shakeup, with Rick Peterson, the famous pitching coach, also getting the axe.

link

I was just about to post this, I wish we could you know... like umm Fire our manager.. and ya know... hire him

Here's proof for the Yost supporters that Ned is a bad manager. Prince Fielder says so, ya know? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Omar Minaya and the organization are under quite a bit of heat. Tune in to WFAN.com today and listen to the grief they get. And it's all deserved.

Minaya was somewhat of a golden boy, but he really handled this poorly.

I was just about to post this, I wish we could you know... like umm Fire our manager.. and ya know... hire him

why would they hire Randolph? Ned beat him out in the interview process when he was originally hired. Plus, after the collapse last year and now the poor start this year when many people had the Mets pegged as a contender, the bloom is definitely off of Randolph's rose. Also, from what I've heard from Mets fans, Willie is just as much an ineffectual guy as Ned.

Willie Randolph was just as bad at managing his bullpen as Ned Yost is. While a lot of people don't like Ned's on-field decisions, at least it's generally accepted that he's a good manager behind closed doors in the clubhouse. Willie Randolph wasn't. He was horrible at keeping things under control in the Mets clubhouse, and now that club is basically divided between the Latin players and the non-Latin players. They had no chemistry under Randolph, and the Latin players had absolutely no respect for him. The Mets desperately needed someone else in that clubhouse who could try to mend some of those differences.

Now, of course, Omar Minaya has his hand deep in this cookie jar, so he's not completely without blame, either. He traded away Lastings Milledge for Ryan Church and Brian Schneider. He took on Carlos Delgado's mammoth contract. He extended Luis Castillo when it was pretty clear he wasn't the player he used to be. He counted on guys like Moises Alou, Pedro Martinez, and Orlando Hernandez to stay healthy. He knew he had a bullpen weakness and unlike Doug Melvin, didn't even try to fix it. The Mets don't have much of a farm system to speak of. He completely botched this firing process -- everyone's known for the past week that it was going to happen soon, and it got leaked out that they were also planning on firing the pitching coach and the first base coach. Unless the Mets put together something special under Jerry Manuel, Omar probably shouldn't be around next year, either...I know the Wilpons would like nothing better than to start over with a new manager and a new GM as they head into their new park next year.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Yeah, I would rather keep Ned than hire Randolph. And that's saying something coming from me. Read a Mets fan forum sometime and you'll hear all the stuff that we say about Ned with a New York accent.

If Ned is going to be knocked for last year's collapse, then I don't think Randolph is the answer. I do find it interesting that Ned and Randolph's quotes are almost exact copies during those collapses.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

Yeah, what with his abilities to do so much with so little and all...

Boy, you must really hate Yost to even consider jumping from Ned to the ineffectual, race-card playing success story that is Willie Randolph. I'm open to suggestions about who should replace Yost, assuming we don't make the postseason this year, but color me unimpressed with what Randolph can do with $130m worth of talent.

Firing after a win, after the whole team flew to the West Coast, and at 3 am is pretty much the definition of classless and cowardly. Omar Minaya and Mets ownership are going to get a lot of grief today and deserve all of it.

And, no, I want no part of Randolph taking over for Yost. He's done nothing with plenty of talent and a much bigger payroll. There are guys out there that have had success. Jack McKeon on an interim basis or Larry Dierker, for example.

Robert

Is it true that he was notified of his firing via e-mail? They were talking about that on the radio this morning, but I have no idea if that part is true or not.

Still, a completely botched handling of this whole thing that makes the Mets look like an even bigger joke.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Is it true that he was notified of his firing via e-mail? They were talking about that on the radio this morning, but I have no idea if that part is true or not.

no, the media was informed via email, not Willie himself.

no, the media was informed via email, not Willie himself.

OK, thanks, I figured that made more sense.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I just heard on ESPN Radio that apparently Willie went up to Omar before the flight out west to ask him about his job status because he had a bad feeling. Minaya reassured him that all was well. After thinking about it for a while, Willie went back to Omar again, and asked him if he was sure that everything was okay with his job, whether he should be on the flight or not, etc. Omar again let him know that everything was okay and that he should definitely fly with the team.

Now this.

http://www.arenaflowers.com/product_image/large/600-mohican_chicken.jpg http://kamaladolphinkingsley.com/otisblog/images/fancy-poop-web.jpg

I was fired via email once (needless to say, it was a bogus reason for termination). Not much fun. I can't imagine this is any better for Willie.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

This is pretty much what teams look like when they make changes midseason, it simply shows a lack of planning. The Mets may have taken it to a new low, bu it seems rather obvious that the braintrust is not planning to win, they are making reactionary moves based on everything except a long-term blueprint.

It's just a shame really, and makes me glad we have Doug Melvin running things.

Nice start to Manuel's managerial stint in NY....Jose Reyes leads off with a single tonight and is kind of acting like his leg is a little sore or something. Manuel comes out with the trainer and talks to Reyes. You then see Manuel point into the dugout at Damion Easley to replace Reyes. Manuel is trying to keep his arm around Reyes (who is obviously petitioning to stay in the game) and is trying to coax Reyes back to the dugout. Then Reyes turns away from Manuel, throws his helmet as he exits the field and heads right down the tunnel.

Nice to be basically shown up by one of your stars in the first inning of your first game. Maybe I'm reading too deep into this, but Reyes' antics struck me as disrespectful.

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

Nice start to Manuel's managerial stint in NY....Jose Reyes leads off with a single tonight and is kind of acting like his leg is a little sore or something. Manuel comes out with the trainer and talks to Reyes. You then see Manuel point into the dugout at Damion Easley to replace Reyes. Manuel is trying to keep his arm around Reyes (who is obviously petitioning to stay in the game) and is trying to coax Reyes back to the dugout. Then Reyes turns away from Manuel, throws his helmet as he exits the field and heads right down the tunnel.

Nice to be basically shown up by one of your stars in the first inning of your first game. Maybe I'm reading too deep into this, but Reyes' antics struck me as disrespectful.

Apparently, after Manuel heard that Reyes went crying into the clubhouse, he followed him in there and chewed him out for several minutes. Reyes sheepishly re-appeared in the dugout with his tail between his legs, and Manuel followed.

One of the things that sunk Willie was he let players show him up on the field like that. I think it was pretty important that Manuel showed the rest of the team that he wasn't taking any crap like the act Reyes pulled in the first inning. Kind of surprising, considering his reputation from his days in Chicago was that he was a very laid-back guy.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

I did see Manuel head down the tunnel and they cut to him re-emerging a few minutes later. The game announcers told a story about an incident between Manuel and Frank Thomas in Chicago where Manuel took him behind closed doors, but within earshot of the clubhouse, and ripped Thomas apart. They said Thomas came out after that and apologized to his teammates.

So he may be laid back until challenged and then he lets you know who's in charge.

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

Archived