Brewer Fanatic

So... it's mid June. Buyers?

kiwi brewer

Vargas wouldn't fetch anything because of what he was owed, and Bush has some years left for essentially nothing.

iirc, Vargas was around $3MM, while Bush is signed for $2.55MM in his first arby year, which of course is liekly to go up in his 2nd & 3rd arby years. In other words, you'd control Bush longer, but he's owed essentially the same as Vargas was owed.

Melvin was trying to unload any of Capuano, Vargas or Bush during the offseason. He couldn't get any takers, so he dumped Vargas. I doubt this season's numbers will make Bush any more marketable.

By the way, how would that Capuano and Hall for Rolen trade look now?

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Are the Padres really going to cut and run? They've been playing better of late, are only one game out of 2nd in the division. Chris Young can come back anytime, though I don't know his status. Though they have a losing record they are closer to first place than the Brewers.

The Brewers are 5 games out of the wild card with only two teams to jump. The Padres are 11 games back with 10 teams to jump. Sure, if Arizona collapses the Padres have a chance, but the odds are against them. Baseball Prospectus' playoff odds report gives San Diego a 4.8% chance of making the playoffs, almost all of that residing on them winning the division.

Someone like Bush may be of interest to the Padres since his biggest problem appears to be his HR rate. Definitely won't do it by himself though. Probably going to cost the Brewers someone like Salome or Gillespie in addition.

Robert

Are the Padres really going to cut and run? They've been playing better of late, are only one game out of 2nd in the division. Chris Young can come back anytime, though I don't know his status. Though they have a losing record they are closer to first place than the Brewers.

The Brewers are 5 games out of the wild card with only two teams to jump. The Padres are 11 games back with 10 teams to jump. Sure, if Arizona collapses the Padres have a chance, but the odds are against them. Baseball Prospectus' playoff odds report gives San Diego a 4.8% chance of making the playoffs, almost all of that residing on them winning the division.

Someone like Bush may be of interest to the Padres since his biggest problem appears to be his HR rate. Definitely won't do it by himself though. Probably going to cost the Brewers someone like Salome or Gillespie in addition.

Robert

I hope Doug holds onto our top Prospects this season. I am not sold that the brewers will make the playoffs even as the wild card. I would not mind trading hall and Bush even though it only be for a rental type of player at most.

I hope Doug holds onto our top Prospects this season. I am not sold that the brewers will make the playoffs even as the wild card. I would not mind trading hall and Bush even though it only be for a rental type of player at most.

Wolf would be a better pick up than Maddux or you could possibly get both in a trade.

What about this for Maddux and Wolf.

Brewers send: Gwynn, Bush, Gillespie, and Crabbe

Padres send: Maddux, Wolf, and a player to be named later

I'm not sure I would send Gillespie over to the Padres but if we could get both Maddux and Wolf it would be a nice rotation of Sheets, Suppan, Maddux, Wolf, Parra/McClung/Villanueva. It wouldn't be the best rotation in baseball but it would be better than what we have right now though. Plus we really wouldn't be losing much in terms of prospects. The Padres would like to have Gwynn and get Crabbe back. Gillespie doesn't look like a CF to me and we already have a lot of corner OF that would be blocking him.

Wolf would be a better pick up than Maddux or you could possibly get both in a trade.

What about this for Maddux and Wolf.

I'm not sure I would send Gillespie over to the Padres but if we could get both Maddux and Wolf it would be a nice rotation of Sheets, Suppan, Maddux, Wolf, Parra/McClung/Villanueva. It wouldn't be the best rotation in baseball but it would be better than what we have right now though. Plus we really wouldn't be losing much in terms of prospects. The Padres would like to have Gwynn and get Crabbe back. Gillespie doesn't look like a CF to me and we already have a lot of corner OF that would be blocking him.

TGJ to SD to rent Maddux for the rest of the season.

i think that's an excellent idea, and SD would do that in a heartbeat. and with Maddux probably retiring, they wouldn't be looking at losing a pick if he were to be a Type B FA.

TGJ to SD to rent Maddux for the rest of the season.

i think that's an excellent idea, and SD would do that in a heartbeat. and with Maddux probably retiring, they wouldn't be looking at losing a pick if he were to be a Type B FA.

Brewers only need one starter, not two. Sheets, Suppan, Maddux, McClung, Parra... the way Suppan, McClung, and Parra have been pitching the last month that rotation would be awesome. And if they balanced it right - Sheet's power followed by Suppan's finesse and movement followed by McClung's power followed by Maddux's location and movement... teams would be so off-balance from one night to the next.

Brewers only need one starter, not two. Sheets, Suppan, Maddux, McClung, Parra... the way Suppan, McClung, and Parra have been pitching the last month that rotation would be awesome. And if they balanced it right - Sheet's power followed by Suppan's finesse and movement followed by McClung's power followed by Maddux's location and movement... teams would be so off-balance from one night to the next.

Archived