Brewer Fanatic

Yankees Wang out for 6 weeks

nate82

Chien-Ming Wang of the Yankees will be out for 6 weeks and in the MLB article it says he would need a couple more weeks to get his arm ready for pitching again which would put him returning around August or September. Does this mean that the Yankees are now done for this season? Or do the Yankees make a big trade for a guy like Sheets or Sabathia?

MLB Link

NY Times Link

The 12-year old that still resides deep inside of me giggled a bit when I saw the NYT headline of "Wang Will Be on Crutches for Six Weeks", or other headlines like "Loss of Wang Could Hurt Yankees".

I think the Yankees probably go out looking for possible replacements now, but they're probably not going to find anything for a couple more weeks. The talks about Sabathia could get serious, but do the Yankees really have much that the Indians would want? Would the Indians, who are still set up to be AL contenders for years to come, want to trade Sabathia to another potential AL contender? At only 5-6 games out of a winnable AL Central, do the Indians even call it quits this early and trade Sabathia at all?

I'm sure Melvin will get the requisite call from the Yankees about Sheets, but I don't know if it they would go very far. Just out of pure hatred for the Yankees, I'd hate to see Sheets go there for anything less than Hughes and Cabrera, but that's probably an unrealistic demand. I think the Yankees will end up having to look at guys like Randy Wolf to fill the gap, otherwise they'll probably have to start throwing guys like Jeff Karstens and Darrell Rasner out there.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

The 12-year old that still resides deep inside of me giggled a bit when I saw the NYT headline of "Wang Will Be on Crutches for Six Weeks", or other headlines like "Loss of Wang Could Hurt Yankees".
I was thinking the same thing when I read the subject of this thread...Six weeks is a long time for anyone's Wang to be out.

Just out of pure hatred for the Yankees, I'd hate to see Sheets go there for anything less than Hughes and Cabrera...

Outside of the New York press, does anybody even think Cabrera's any good? I would really want Hughes as part of that package, though. Can you imagine Gallardo-Hughes as 1-2 for the next four to five years? I'm practically salivating.

Cabrera is what he is -- good/stellar D with avg. (or so) offense. If he could draw some more BBs, his value would go way up imho. It's kinda easy to forget that 2008 is only his age-23 season.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I would be very concerned with Wang's foot because of the possibility of it being a Lisfranc injury. Lisfranc injuries can be very hard to treat. I recall a Packer CB with a Lisfranc (Blackmon maybe?) that lingered for quite awhile. I realize that a pitcher has less stress on a foot than a NFL corner. My point is that stress in that part of the foot takes a long time to heal no matter who you are. I would speculate that it will be longer than the timetable. And unless they deal for a pitcher they are done... well, they might have been done already.

Two additional points:

1) The headlines are hilarious. I will never grow up.

2) Hank Steinbrenner is funnier. His quotes on this subject are precious. I would cut and paste or link to them but you have to go find them. Then you have to double check that you are not at the Onion.

JJ

On Baseball Tonight they were talking about how he would be out until September at minimum. They said he was going to be in the boot for six weeks and then would have to start rehabbing which will take longer.

2) Hank Steinbrenner is funnier. His quotes on this subject are precious. I would cut and paste or link to them but you have to go find them. Then you have to double check that you are not at the Onion.

They're priceless. Referring to not having the DH as a "1800's" rule and "welcome to the 20th century" comments (even though it is the 21st century). BTW Hank, NL teams face this peril every freakin' game and it could weaken a team for their post-season run and/or the World Series against AL teams like yours, but we don't gripe about it.

Somebody give Hank a sucker and he'll be all-right.

Rotoworld.com said it would be more like 10 weeks. . .

And the headlines are funny every time I read them.

Wang out of action for six weeks

Wang reduced to a limp

Wang unable to perform

Whether you're 12 or 112, you'll find that stuff funny, which is why men are funnier than women.

JimH5 wrote:which is why men are funnier than women.

I hate to call you out, but this seems a bit sexist. I realize that this thread is jokey, and I don't want to get into a big thing, but it's not cool, imo.

Fair enough JoeHova. . .I usually get chippy when I sense racism, sexism, or other -isms in other people, so I should face the music when I deserve it.

I did mean it somewhat jokey, but I hate the use of blue type, and even so, I should have been smart enough to not be sexist and think it was funny, because it wasn't.

And while I offer a full retraction of my comparison of men's and women's senses of humor, I will say that I like the thinly veiled jokes that people make about the Yankee pitcher's name. I just don't know many women who would actually waste the time to think up funny ways to drop Wang's name into a fake headline.

I swear, they must do this intentionally.

http://www.colinbaker.org/files/images/yankswang.png

Nothing could hurt the Yankees more then having an injured Wang at this point in the season. The only thing that can save them is to go after Arizona starter Richard Harden.

My dad's name is Richard, but his friends call him Dick.

Here are Hank Steinbrenner comments that were printed in my local paper:

- "My only message is simple. The National League needs to join the 21st century. They need to grow up and join the 21st century."

- "Am I mad about it? Yes. I've got my pitchers running the bases, and one of them gets hurt. He going to be out. I don't like that."

I like the fact that Hank is not afraid to speak his mind for the simple reason that it entertains me, but you've got to believe that the suggestions / criticisms he provides are sometimes only convenient for the Yankees and not MLB.

Just wait for the headlines when Randy Choate starts pitching for the Crew:

- Choate blows lead

- Brewers' Choate out duels Yank's Wang

- Choate loses it late

- Choate strong to the finish

I digress....giggling

Follow me on Twitter

Just out of pure hatred for the Yankees, I'd hate to see Sheets go there for anything less than Hughes and Cabrera...

Outside of the New York press, does anybody even think Cabrera's any good? I would really want Hughes as part of that package, though. Can you imagine Gallardo-Hughes as 1-2 for the next four to five years? I'm practically salivating.

I'm normally not high on the Melk Man, either, but he'd be a decent option in centerfield post-Cameron. He's certainly better than TGJ and plays some very good defense. IMO, he could be a pretty decent #2 hitter, too. For whatever reason the New York media makes him out to be better than he really is, but he could still be a pretty good player in the future once he starts taking walks...I think the ability is definitely there (he did have an OBP of .360 in 460 ABs in 2006, but slipped to .327 last year). I think it's pretty much a moot point, though, since I don't think Hank Steinbrenner would allow Cashman to trade Cabrera anyway.

Steinbrenner's going to kick and scream for a top-of-the-line replacement, but he won't want to give up anything substantial for that player because they're still trying to get into the playoffs. From the Yankees' perspective, it wouldn't make much sense to trade Melky and Phil Hughes if they're trying to make the playoffs now -- that would be more of an offseason deal, when they would still have time to go out and buy replacements for those players, too. They're probably more likely to give up some minor leaguers with a little potential for Paul Byrd and Randy Wolf and just hope for the best.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Community Moderator

My favorite was the ESPN headline:

"Yanks slam Astros, but Wang leaves with injury"

And btw, my girlfriend found that to be hilarious, and she hates baseball.

Archived