Brewer Fanatic

Bill Bavasi Fired

A lot of people were picking the Mariners to contend this year. So it does some kind of ironic that those same baseball people who were picking the Mariners to contend are now saying how awful (or atleast not good) of a GM Bavasi was. Just goes to show that you can throw all the money out there, the players still have to play up to expectations.

They're dancing in the streets of Seattle. I don't think there's been a worse GM in the league over the past few years, with the exception of maybe Sabean in San Francisco. The fact that he gave up so much for Erik Bedard and he hasn't performed very well probably sealed Bavasi's fate, but their draft this year was also pretty questionable. Seattle's a team that needs a complete retooling, from the general manager down to the grounds crew. They fired their hitting coach a few days ago and got blasted by a lot of people for using him as a scapegoat (RotoWorld, for one) when Bavasi was still being employed and filled the roster full of guys like Jose Vidro and Richie Sexson. Now that Bavasi is gone, I wouldn't be surprised to see McLaren let go soon just so they can start over from scratch.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Yeah, I mentioned Beltre because Bavasi gave him that big contract after is one career year that was way above anything he had done or anything he's done since.

Edgar Diaz Rocks (EDR) is a poster here. I believe he lives in Seattle and/or is a Mariners fan?

Beltre has a 737 OPS and is making 13.4 mil this year. He does play some decent D though.

I'm going to stick up for Beltre here, and will admit a bias -- I think he's the best all-around 3B in MLB not named "Rodriguez" or "Jones". That OPS is heavily skewed by playing at Safeco Park (2008 Road OPS of .791 so far; road OPS of .805 or better each season in SEA save the disastrous 2005). Also, I know Sam was going for understatement, but Beltre's D at 3B is as good as you could imagine. The guy is an absolute wizard with the leather.

They certainly overpaid for him at the time, but he was hitting his prime after a monster season & plays/ed impeccably good D. On the FA market, you pay through the orifices for that.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Beltre looked kind of interesting but according to BP his defensive statistics have been below average the last two years. Not horribly so, but not the defensive whiz he was earlier in his career. And a decline in defense starts much earlier than offensive decline. Without the well above average defense he just isn't that interesting of a player. Erik Bedard on the other hand. His K rate has dropped from last year but it is completely in line with all of his other previous seasons. His walk rate is also up somewhat and is still somewhat consistent with past performances. His HR is the only thing out of line and 1.1/ 9 innings is not exactly horrible (about 25 in a full season). His DERA is only 4.19, which ain't bad and out of the DH league you could expect an ERA at or below 4.0 going forward. I definitely think he is a player you could buy low on with someone who wants to clean house.

Beltre looked kind of interesting but according to BP his defensive statistics have been below average the last two years. Not horribly so, but not the defensive whiz he was earlier in his career. And a decline in defense starts much earlier than offensive decline.

That's interesting -- I hadn't checked the defensive #s just yet. I can say (from watching M's games -- they're my 'market' where I live) that I would have to disagree with any metric that has Beltre as below-avg. right now. That's not because I'm as smart as or smarter than whoever is putting the time into the BP metrics -- it's just because Beltre is still an elite defender at 3B. I geniunely don't think of that as just my opinion... it looks pretty clear-cut every time I watch a Mariners game.

And a decline in defense starts much earlier than offensive decline.

I'll definitely try to watch with a more critical eye than I have been. Beltre is admittedly just fun to watch field.

I agree that SEA should be a target for anyone looking at a prospects-for-stud trade. I'd have to guess that Beltre, Bedard, and many others are available. Maybe Balentien, Ichiro, & Clement (Hernandez?) are off-limits in terms of names that people know. This will be interesting to see how the Mariners change things in the F.O.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Just looked at the current season UZR data and Beltre rates as the second best 3rd basemen there, though he is near a number of other guys. So my guess is that the BP numbers are the outlier here. Although I'd still question if his defense is enough of an asset at this point. Might make an interesting platoon with Branyan. You can go r/L or offense/defense.

Don't forget Bavasi traded Freddy Garcia for 3 prospects who never have amounted to anything with Seattle, while Garcia won 40 games in the 2.5 years since he left the Mariners. Also, Bavasi traded Carlos Guilled to Detroit for Ramon Santiago and an unknown farmhand.

It was certainly strange to see the GM of a big market team pull of quality for quantity trades.

BPro defensive stats are terrible.

Most stats guys thought the Mariners were a sub .500 team, they were mostly right. This team overachieved last year and haven't done it again this year.

Excuse, but who is EDR?

The world wonders.

I was on a ferry in the middle of the Sound when somebody gave me the happy news. My response? "Great! What about Howard Lincoln?" Until this whole management team goes, nothing will really change. The only saving grace is that Jockety and Ed Wade already have jobs.

My dream team? Gord Ash, President. Kim Ng, GM

Never happen with Lincoln and Armstrong still around. Dave Littlefield might get an interview.

And to raise anyone's ire in the memory of the now ended Bavasi years one only has to utter two words: Scott Spezio.

Yeah, I would say when even your DGWD (designated gritty white dude) loses confidence in the direction of the organization, it's time for a change.

And I'd be pretty mad if I was raking like Willie (.160/.288/.160 - look at that walk rate!) and not playing every day, too. I mean, is that team blind?!?!

Archived