Brewer Fanatic

Cubs in HOF game exhibtion in the middle of the season?

I find this whole idea to be incredibly stupid by MLB

http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080615&content_id=2937115&vkey=news_chc&fext=.jsp&c_id=chc

I would be especially upset if I were a Cubs fan to go from Toronto, to New York, to Tampa in 3 days. This is as bad as Boston and Oakland playing real games in Japan, and coming home to play more exhibition games

I believe that this is the final year of the exhibition. They are no longer going to do it.

As for the road trip, it's no worse than the Brewers going from Milwaukee to Atlanta to Minneapolis to Phoenix in the next week.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

The regulars are going.

Here is what is happening.

They stayed in Toronto last night, flying to Albany (closest major airport) this morning, 90 minute bus ride to Cooperstown, play the game in which regular position players will get no more than 1 at-bat and no MLB pitchers will be used, 90 min bus back to Albany, fly to Tampa arriving late tonight for a game tomorrow night.

It's really not much different than one of those 1 day make-up games. Except that about 17 players were called up from Tennessee (AA) and Daytona (high - A).

pitchleague is right; had it been played, this would have been the final Hall of Fame game. The Brewers participated in 1976, beating the Mets, 9-3, and in 2001, beating the Marlins, 6-2.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Community Moderator
It's really a shame to see the HOF game end. Now that it is over, there is no way that they will ever start it up again. The game was a huge economic boost for Cooperstown and an important way to connect baseball's present with its past.

Archived