Brewer Fanatic

Proposal: Sheets to Yankees

With the Yankees in third place in their division, numerous pitchers injured, and the Rays seemingly in talks of trading for Griffey, I'd think the Yankees would pay a big price for Ben Sheets right about now. They were willing to offer Phil Hughes and other prospects for Santana in the offseason. If a few more weeks pass and the Brewers haven't gained any ground in the playoff race, the Brewers will have to consider trading Sheets, and the Yankees would be a nice trading partner. I'm no good at putting these proposals together, but a package built around Hughes, Kennedy or Chamberlain would give us a nice 1-2 punch at the top of our rotation (along with Gallardo) for a few seasons.

Any ideas what type of return the Brewers could expect for Sheets?

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Considering they would then get 2 draft picks, they would come out on top. Hughes is unlikely to be dealt as well.
Exactly. Sheets is sure to be a type A free agent.

I would take a first round pick and a sandwich pick over Hughes. Hughes is starting to look a lot like an over-hyped NY prospect.

Considering they would then get 2 draft picks, they would come out on top. Hughes is unlikely to be dealt as well.
Exactly. Sheets is sure to be a type A free agent.

I would take a first round pick and a sandwich pick over Hughes. Hughes is starting to look a lot like an over-hyped NY prospect.

What makes you think that? 22 innings this year? He pitched 72 league average innings last year as a 21 year old. In 2006, he was brilliant as a 20 year old in AA: 138 ks and 32 bbs in 116 innings and a WHIP of .91. You think the average haul from two draft picks will give you better results than that?

Remembering Melvin's oft-quoted theory a few offseasons ago (prior to either the Sexson or Overbay trades), you get more for hitters in the offseason and more for pitching during the season. It should take a lot more than just Hughes to pry Sheets away. Sheets is a true #1, and #1-type starters don't just grow on trees.

To me, it's worth paying to keep Sheets if he keeps this up. The Brewers have some flexibility and Sheets is quite fond of the team, not that that ensures anything. The dilemma, as always, remains his health.

I think we have to sign him. With the money we'd free up from Cameron and Gagne we can hopefully pay up. A 1-2 of him and Gallardo is just what we need....with Suppan Parra and maybe Villanueva or another FA signing at #5. We have got to do better than Mcclung and Bush next season. That being said, if we can get a young starter and an above average pitching prospect, we might have to go for it.

I agree we're too close now to consider trading Sheets. But lets assume that on July 30 we're 12 games back of the Cubs and 6-7 games back of Florida and St. Louis for the Wild Card. Would you still hold onto him for the two draft picks?

Hughes currently has a hairline fracture in his ribs, and won't pitch for around two more months. The Yankees, as always, are in win-now mode. I'd have to think they'd give up Hughes and a good AA player for a player of Sheets' caliber. That would allow the Brewers to have another good pitcher next year, when they will also be in the playoff hunt rather than in 4-5 years when and if the draft picks pan out.

If Sheets leaves as a free agent, which I think is highly likely as he'll probably receive a $100MM contract, we are going to be hurting in our rotation next season. If we're in a tight playoff race, then you don't trade him. If the playoffs look unlikely, I think Melvin has to see what he can get for him.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I'm still holding out hope that the Brewers will give Sheets the money and re-sign him so I don't want to see him traded. Were still in for the wild card and even the division is still a hope so no way you trade your ace.

I agree. Aces are like great Centers in the NBA. Super-rare. I know he's going to want a lot, but you gotta retain your ace.

Hughes looks like a bust to me. I would rather deal with a team that had maybe a Brett Anderson (like the A's) or maybe a Carlos Carrasco (Phillies).

I would hope to get a lot more than Phil Hughes for Sheets. I would rather have the draft picks probably. That said, I really think that if this team wants to compete in the next several years, we really need to re-sign Sheets. Guys like that are not easily replaceable.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

Hughes has been rushed, he's the best pitching prospect in MLB, or I suppose, maybe top 3. People gave up on Eveland too, even though he was just 22. Hughes is oodles better than Eveland, he just is not ready to put up a 3 ERA...yet.

With Wang going down I think Melvin should explore a trade with the Yankees and try and see if he can get Hughes, Melancon/Cox, and a low level prospect. I think we could get both Melancon and Cox in a deal but I'm not sure about that. I have said that we could probably get Hughes and Kennedy but every time I see Kennedy pitch I see a lot of Dave Bush in him. Kennedy maybe better than Bush right now but I don't think he will be any better than Bush in the future.

What makes you think that? 22 innings this year? He pitched 72 league average innings last year as a 21 year old. In 2006, he was brilliant as a 20 year old in AA: 138 ks and 32 bbs in 116 innings and a WHIP of .91. You think the average haul from two draft picks will give you better results than that?
I've watched Hughes pitch a few times. I've never been that impressed.

I think the two draft picks would be better because I trust Jack Z (a lot).

You may not get a 1st rd for Sheets -- It is probably more likely to get a Sammy and a 2.
Possibly, I just would imagine a large market team (and a decent one) would sign Sheets. So we would get a lower 1st round pick for him.

The Yankees, as always, are in win-now mode.
If this was 100% true, they would have been willing to part with some of their young talent to land Santana. The Yankees are much more likely to wait until after this year - and then sign Sheets as a free agent.

Hughes is very likely better than Yo...you're not going to find a better draft pick than that.
Unless Yo's knee hampers his delivery - I would say the odds of Hughes being a better pitcher are around 10% only. (Obviously just my opinion. I am very surprised you think that highly of Hughes)

On a related note, I think Sheets is very likely to sign with the Texas Rangers next year. He lives in Dallas. They are willing to spend money. They could use starting pitching. And they are in the AL. (Plus Ben never seemed like the bright city lights kinda guy)

With Wang out until at least September, I could see the Yank's making a pretty decent offer for Sheets. Whether or not the Crew trades Sheets, I hope it's not to the Yankees. It would be heartbreaking to see Sheets in the black pinstripes.

At the end of the 2007 season, Sheets was classified as a Class B free agent. That would only net the Brewers a sandwich pick if they offer him arbitration and he elects to sign with another team.

While it is probable that Ben's 2008 performance will upgrade his status and get him into the top 20%, there are no guarantees. If goes on the DL for an extended period of time or his performance tails off, he could remain a Class B free agent. I'm not ready to wave the white flag on the 2008 season, but if the Brewers falter over the next five weeks, I'd take one solid prospect that is near major league ready over the crapshoot that is the MLB draft.

With Wang out until at least September, I could see the Yank's making a pretty decent offer for Sheets. Whether or not the Crew trades Sheets, I hope it's not to the Yankees. It would be heartbreaking to see Sheets in the black pinstripes.

The Yankees would have to make a great / tremendous trade offer to the Brewers for Sheets, not just decent.

With the loss of Wang, they may need to add another ace to make the playoffs. Frankly, I'd love to see the Yankees fail to make the postseason.

Hughes is very likely better than Yo...you're not going to find a better draft pick than that.

Wait, I like Hughes too, but let's not go nuts. Hughes was rated better (barely) before 2007, but I can't imagine Yovani's success in the majors wouldn't make him likely to be rated higher now. It's only 130 innings, but they've been dominant.

With the loss of Wang, they may need to add another ace to make the playoffs. Frankly, I'd love to see the Yankees fail to make the postseason.

My desire to see the Yankees fail to make the playoffs falls a far distant second to my desire to see the Brewers make the playoffs, and even become a perennial playoff contender.

If the Brewers are unlikely to make the playoffs this year, and if they are offered a deal that will greatly help them make the playoffs for the next few years, they should do it.

Considering the recent trend of locking up young players, a rotation headed up by Gallardo and Hughes (or other top-caliber young stud pitcher obtained in Sheets trade) for the next 6-8 years would be pretty nice. Add in Braun and probably Hart to go with the current group and the guys coming up from AA in a year or two, and you could be really good for a long time.

~Bill Walsh

Archived