Brewer Fanatic

Can we give credit to Yost/Melvin about Seth McClung?

Since McClung is arbitration eligible for a few more years, they don't really need to lock him up. And I would hope they'd at least wait until the end of the season before thinking about a deal that extends him at all. If he finishes the year with a starting ERA around 4.00 (or better), I could see them offering a 3 year/15 mil type deal.

But it has only been five starts.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Since McClung is arbitration eligible for a few more years, they don't really need to lock him up. And I would hope they'd at least wait until the end of the season before thinking about a deal that extends him at all. If he finishes the year with a starting ERA around 4.00 (or better), I could see them offering a 3 year/15 mil type deal.

But it has only been five starts.

Yeah, I forgot about the fact he was still Arby Eligible. I would honestly keep him going with arbitration for the next few years, maybe offer him a longer extension after next season.

McClung is at least young enough where it's possible that he may actually have turned a corner.

The way I look at it, though, is that even if he crashes back down to Earth, he's already contributed much more than I ever thought he would this season.

There's no real option minus bringing Villy back into the rotation and moving Bushy to long relief.

Our only other option will be to lay some holy hands on Gallardos knee and magically fix it.

Given that Villy has turned it around in the pen... it might be a good idea to give it a shot when Riske comes back.

you know the difference between me and Yost? Yost took a team from the bottom of baseball to a winning season and another 500 season.

Why do you still do this? Yost didn't turn the team around -- the team actually got some talented players. W-L record is a terrible way to gauge a mgr. But you already know that.

Also, I would never compare anyone in a MLB job like Mgr. or GM to 'the layman' in order to determine if he's good at his job or not. You have to compare with other managers, but all that seems to 'do it' for many people is a manager's teams' W-L record, so I'll bow back out before that even starts.

I am still waiting for the bottom to drop out.

I'm not necessarily waiting for the bottom to fall out, but at this point I am expecting Seth to start pitching a bit more like the rest of his career. I think he'll probably continue to have success, but I think the BBs are going to start accumulating.

Once again, I hope I am wrong.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I gotta give Mike Maddux credit for helping McClung out. Last year as a reliever and with the Devil Rays, he used a full windup with a lot of stops and stunts in it. Thats what Brian and Bill mean when they say a complex and tiring delivery. It also messed up his command of his 2 seem fastball and his curveball. He also locates his fastball much better even though he has lost velocity. He has become a valuable starter and his mechanics will allow him to be solid all year for us and i hope he continues.

However i believe the reason the brewers aren't opening up bush's spot in the rotation yet is because they feel they can aquire a starter to fill that void. That is the only reason i can see why they would allow bush to continue pitching.

I think Yost does a lot of stupid things, but you know the difference between me and Yost? Yost took a team from the bottom of baseball to a winning season and another 500 season. I didn't do that. So I realize that Yost makes a lot of "dumb" decisions, but I give him the benefit of the doubt because he knows baseball better than I do. And you know what? He knows

baseball better than you do too!

There are some managers that have taken their teams to consistent losing seasons. Based on your argument, I should also give those managers the benefit of the doubt because I've never taken a team to win one single baseball game.

And saying something like "He knows baseball better than you!" really doesn't make any sense. Knows what about baseball? Do you think Ned understands statistics in baseball as well as some people on here? Does Ned somehow manage people better? Cause I'm a manager and I think I'm pretty good at it.

I bet I could manage a team to at least one win if I was a manager. Does that mean that I know baseball better than you TWR?

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

I bet I could manage a team to at least one win if I was a manager. Does that mean that I know baseball better than you TWR?

I'll go even farther. I bet anyone on this message board could manage any of the 30 clubs to at least 40 wins.

And I bet Seth McClung could manage the Brewers to about 65-70 wins easy. So if McClung ever becomes a marginal big league manager, I'll give 100% credit to Yost on that one.

While I don't agree with TWR's arguement to be fair I do think when Ned, or any manager for that matter, does something that seems really stupid I usually assume I'm the one missing something. Not because I think he is always right but because anyone who gets that far in any line of work has to be, at the very least, not a complete idiot. So while there are prefences I like vs what others like in a manager when it comes to really stupid moves I just assume I don't have all the information.

For instance when a reliever didn't pitch in an obvious situation for him I assume it's because he was tired or has a minor nagging injury that they don't want other teams to know about instead of just thinking Ned is as stupid as the move made him appear.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

While I don't agree with TWR's arguement to be fair I do think when Ned, or any manager for that matter, does something that seems really stupid I usually assume I'm the one missing something. Not because I think he is always right but because anyone who gets that far in any line of work has to be, at the very least, not a complete idiot. So while there are prefences I like vs what others like in a manager when it comes to really stupid moves I just assume I don't have all the information.
For instance when a reliever didn't pitch in an obvious situation for him I assume it's because he was tired or has a minor nagging injury that they don't want other teams to know about instead of just thinking Ned is as stupid as the move made him appear.
You basically said what I was getting at except I was being a little more harsh and had some exaggeration in mine. Thanks for putting it in better terms for me.

The Seth McClung story is starting to remind me of Mike Caldwell.

If you remember back to mid-1977, Caldwell was a journeyman pitcher who was in his 3rd organization. Jim Baumer acquired him for Richard O'Keefe and Gerald Pyka, a trade that didn't even make a ripple locally.

Caldwell was used in middle relief the rest of that season and in early '78. Then, Moose Haas, fresh off a 14-strikeout game against the World Champion Yankees, got injured. George Bamberger had nowhere else to turn, so he inserted Caldwell into the starting rotation.

102 wins later, Caldwell goes down as one of the best starting pitchers in Brewer history.

McClung has the same start to his Brewer career. I'm not saying he's going to finish the same way, but the similarities are there.

Archived