Brewer Fanatic

Can we give credit to Yost/Melvin about Seth McClung?

I remember a lot of posts back in April groaning about keeping McClung over Vargas on the roster and even more groans when we put McClung in the rotation. And what did we get? Nothing but production from Seth McClung. Although a small sample size as a starter, I am very satisfied with 4 out of 5 good starts. There is a lot yet to be seen with McClung, but let's at least admit that some of us were quick to jump on management for keeping this guy around. It shows that you can't teach velocity, and McClung definitely has that so let's see what the guy can do down the stretch for us because he could be the key to our success from here on out in the 2008 season.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would like to give a big thumbs up to Melvin, Yost and Maddux on this one. We got him for Grant Balfour and with Maddux working with him and calming down his mechanics he has become a good starting pitcher because he can now control his pitches. I try not to get to excited because of the small sample size but he has looked darn good and I already have said I take back all the "McDung" jokes I made in April.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

We'll see if this holds up, but so far I think McClung is a success story of scouting and coaching. I think the same can be said of Kapler as well. It's easy for us to ridicule decisions that are made based on projections, but it is important to give credit when due.

Wait...I thought almost everyone here thought he was garbage? I'm confused. I've made my statements about McClung many times and was mostly ignored. I still am not sold on him as a starter, but he is a MLB pitcher. I put him in the same regard more or less as Sarfate...who is actually having a pretty darn good year also. They're both overcoming control problems to a certain degree so far.

I like that McClung tries to throw that Brandon Webb type sinking fastball where it has a lot of velocity and movement and it's very hard to get it off the ground if it is kept down. I'm not calling Seth anything close to Brandon Webb, but when he throws that pitch it has a similar effect.

Can we give credit to Yost/Melvin about Seth McClung?

Sure, as long as we can rip Yost apart when a player fails --- you can't have it both ways TWR. If you insist that we blame the players, I think it is only fitting that we give McClung the credit.

McClung has one BB in the last 18 IP, that is insane -- plus he is hitting. I am not sure what to think.

Wait...I thought almost everyone here thought he was garbage?

JJ, I was one of those back in April. After those first two relief outings I was ready to give up on Seth. I totally apologize to Seth for all the "McDung" references I gave to him. I'm glad for him not only because he is helping my team win but I have heard him numerous times on 1250's post game show and he seems like a genuine good guy. Plus, us red heads have to stick together.

Whoever made the Webb comparison I would agree. Not that he is even close to Webb but he seems to throw a hard sinking type fastball and it is working. As long as he continues to not walk many he will have success. If he walks guys he will struggle.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I guess I am scared the bubble is going to burst too, but yeah there are a lot of people involved that deserve some credit. I guess message boards are not always right. I sure didn't see enough to have hope for any of this, but Melvin, Yost, and Maddux all did. Bravo to all of them, and most of all, bravo to Seth McClung for coming though.

Sure, as long as we can rip Yost apart when a player fails --- you can't have it both ways TWR. If you insist that we blame the players, I think it is only fitting that we give McClung the credit.

McClung has one BB in the last 18 IP, that is insane -- plus he is hitting. I am not sure what to think.

I personally have no problem giving McClung the credit and a tiny portion to Maddux. I still wonder exactly how much weight Seth lost from last year to this year. My guess is 20 - 30 lbs and I do believe that and being healthy has everything to do with his success so far.

So far so good. It's a very big surprising hit, and props to the FO for finding this one. With that said, the question is how long will it last? I just hope it's not a fluke and he'll continue pitching well once teams see him more then once.

It just baffles me to see a bad RP turn into a decent SP.

1 walk in 18 IP -- this is either a classic red flag small sample, or McClung has figured something out. I tend to think this BB rate is unsustainable.

The other thing to remember is, that it is not as if McClung was being groomed to be a starter..... rather he was thrown into the rotation because of the injury to Yo and sucktitude of Bush/Villy.

I think Maddux has down something good, Yost/DM got lucky, and big Seth is making the most of his opportunity.

I think most of the credit goes to McClung. They gave up another 95 mph guy (Grant Balfour) to get McClung. Balfour is now a key member of the Rays bullpen. So it wasn't exactly like they got him for nothing. I don't think Maddux or Yost have done anything special. Sometimes guys kick around a while before they find the right situation.

Look at McClung's old teammate at Tampa Bay, Doug Waechter. He kept failing as starter, had injury issues, and now has resurrected his career with Marlins. Then there's Todd Wellemeyer at St. Louis. Pitching is at a premium and guys who can throw will constantly get chances. Many don't pan out. Some eventually do.

All that being said, he's been in the rotation for a month. So far so good, but he's still basically a 5-6 inning pitcher.

Archived