Brewer Fanatic

Choate and Riske coming back soon

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=762238

This could be a nice shot in the arm to the bullpen not to mention Gagne coming back prolly in a month or so. Our bullpen is holding up pretty well but having another lefty to go to in Choate and a nice pitcher in Riske available this should only help our chances to win games.

I would send down DeFelice and end the Tavarez experiment when these guys come back.

he does have a career 4.64 ERA in 165 career innings as a LOOGY. That seems fine for a 2nd lefty out of the pen.

I'd pass based on that. I'd rather go with Stetter, but having another LOOGY option isn't a bad thing. We'll see how he comes back from his injury.

Didn't Choate sign a minor league deal though? I thought the Brewers could simply put him in the minors and call him up as needed and then if he fails he could be claimed by another team. I also think Stetter has already used this years option so it doesn't matter how many times he gets called up or sent down.

Just because Choate is "on rehab assignment" doesn't mean he won't stay in the minors. After 30 days, he will most likely stay at Nashville unless a need develops and he proves more effective than Statter.
I was not aware that Choate had a minor league deal. I was thinking he had a Major League Deal. Wouldn't you guys still give him a look in the bullpen as the 2nd lefty though? I think I would and give Tavarez a nice pink slip and call it a day with him.

When Riske comes back next weekend Tavarez will get the pink slip. I'd almost say give him the pink slip now and bring up Stetter until Riske is ready.

Choate and Gagne won't be an option anytime before the All-Star break, so no need to worry about them now. So DiFelice is probably safe until then, unless they decide to go with Stetter or Pena.

I am really hoping that once Gagne and Riske come back Tavarez and DeFelice are the two sent packing. DeFelice serves a purpose as the baby seal in blow out games but Tavarez serves no purpose whatsoever other than limiting the number of players on the 25 man roster available for a swimsuit calender.

Wouldn't you guys still give him a look in the bullpen as the 2nd lefty though?

Absolutely not. Choate just isn't that good, I don't want to waste a roster spot with him, especially when he can be in the minors. The depth is fine but I don't want him up here unless it's absolutely necessary.

Taverez has been lights out and very hittable. I gotta think DiFelice will be the easy move first, but after that, it'll be tough. Julian certainly has a lot of talent, but is likely a Matt Wise type, better not pitching more than an inning or 2 days in a row.

Absolutely not. Choate just isn't that good, I don't want to waste a roster spot with him, especially when he can be in the minors. The depth is fine but I don't want him up here unless it's absolutely necessary.
I don't know if you are correct about Choate not being that good, but you do have one thing right: That Choate can get as much time as he wants to work things out in the minors. It has yet to be seen if he can produce in AAA, but if he can, I'm all for calling him up. He would have to outperform Stetter though in order to get that callup.

It will be nice to have Riske back. I really, really hope they DFA Tavarez. I just think the guy is awful. Righties v. DiFelice: 4-28, 1 XBH, 9 K's, 0 BB. Now, lefties are killing him. But, used in the correct manner, I firmly, firmly believe that Difelice could be an important part of the pen. When Gagne comes back (yuck), I would guess that would be all for Tavarez, although Dillard has been less than impressive of late. Some interesting choices to make, for sure.

Archived