Brewer Fanatic

6/15/08 Twins (Baker) at Brewers (McClung): 1:05 PM CDT

hawing
well that was interesting.. another strikeout with a player out of the batters box

At least both times the pitchers were able to throw strikes... would have been kinda sad if a ball was thrown in those situations.

Judging by the following batter's strike out call, the plate ump is wanting to keep this game moving along.

Hope the Brewer batters have learned from that.

Baker is not a bad pitcher. He's probably better than everyone the Brewers have active other than Sheets and Suppan.

In game scoreboard update: CHC 7 TOR 1 (B7) STL 5 PHI 1 (T5)

At some point you have to be closer to even second place than last. Got to get it done this afternoon.

I would say he's better than Suppan too. 102 K / 29 BB ratio last year, 42 K / 9 BB this year to go with a solid 3.71 ERA. On paper I did not like this McClung/Baker matchup at all, in fact I thought it would be the only one we lost this series. What do I know, I guess. Could McClung actually be a decent SP? I'm having trouble getting on board with this, but I certainly can't deny that he's been good so far.

Torres looking dominant now... Gagne's "injury" could linger for quite awhile now.

Quiet day on the board - hope many either made it to the game or spent it with Dad (or being a Dad), or better... at the game with Dad.

If his Ks are down along with his walks is it possible that he's let up just enough to get some more control? In any event I'm all for riding this batch of success as long as it continues. Sometimes those stuff guys can finally get enough control to be effective.

Another surprisingly good start from McClung, and Torres was incredible after pitching 2.1 innings last night -- I was definitely expecting the worst. Kendall had a nice day at the plate, and hopefully Cameron can get into a groove after hitting that go-ahead home run.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

I was at the game with my Dad today. Had a great time, had a few beers and brats and got to see our favorite team pick up a W. My Dad is the entire reason I got into baseball and the Brewers when I was young so it was nice to share a game on Fathers Day.

McClung was outstanding once again, this guy continues to grow on me start after start. I love how Yost called himself a "dummy" in the post game presser for making McClung bunt after ripping a double and those two hits off Johnson.

I actually called the Cam HR when I turned to my Dad and said I think after he hits this HR I will forget all about his .215 AVG.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

What? Nobody complaining about taking a guy out who struck out the side on 10 pitches, and bringing in a guy who pitched 2 innings the night before. Oh, that's right. It worked this time. If it had not worked, people would have been all over Yost on here.

If it had not worked, people would have been all over Yost on here.

Probably. So what?? Yost is going to be second-guessed. Once Bf.net got its 2nd member there were going to be disagreements here on what a Brewer manager should do.

These straw man arguments really are pointless and do not further any sort of discussion civilly. There is no point to what you wrote, asides from the obvious observation that BF.net is going to have divergent ideas as to how Yost should handle things.

Here is what a straw man argument is, and how they can be avoided.

Probably. So what?? Yost is going to be second-guessed. Once Bf.net got its 2nd member there were going to be disagreements here on what a Brewer manager should do.
Differences of opinion are expected. However, this place turns into a lynch mob whenever Yost takes an OPTION that doesn't work out. The move he made today, was the same one he made last week. However, since the names were Mota/Torres, instead of Villanueva/Mota, and the move worked, this place is extremely quiet.

Once something goes wrong, this place goes crazy, as everyone comes out of the woodwork to bash Yost. I thought this site was supposed to be better than the espn boards, et al. The bandwagon bashing just gets out of control.

What? Nobody complaining about taking a guy out who struck out the side on 10 pitches, and bringing in a guy who pitched 2 innings the night before. Oh, that's right. It worked this time. If it had not worked, people would have been all over Yost on here.

Salomon Torres is a better pitcher than Mota, it doesn't work that way.

Salomon Torres is a better pitcher than Mota, it doesn't work that way.

And Mota has had a better year and career than Villanueva.

Nobody complaining about taking a guy out who struck out the side on 10 pitches, and bringing in a guy who pitched 2 innings the night before. Oh, that's right. It worked this time. If it had not worked, people would have been all over Yost on here.

I know I'm a day late, but this exact thought crept into my head when it became clear that Ned would once again not deviate from what his 'guys are'. It was too bad that a fresh, fully rested, & sharp-looking Mota was left to sit on the bench while a guy that could/should have gotten a day off (Torres) came in to pitch. It doesn't have anything to do with second-guessing for most of the sane Yost critics with whom I'm familiar here. I can comfortably say that I was disappointed to not see Mota back out there yesterday, but it's not due to his results... it's that his results matched up with his performance.

I really think there are a lot more people in the middle when it comes to Yost than most give credit for. I don't think it's nearly as polarized as last season, though that could just be a case of the 'seems likes' & my general avoidance of the Yost thread in the ML forum.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

While I initially wondered what the plan was going to be after Torres's 2 1/3 the night before, the situation seemed to make it a no-brainer. With a runner on 3rd and less than 2 outs, it appeared to make simple sense to go to the bench for a pinch hitter for Mota in the bottom of the 8th to try for more insurance runs... seeming to kinda make much of this debate off base.

Archived