Brewer Fanatic

Should guys wear Crocs?

The Active 33
I have a pair that I wear for yard work. They are comfortable, but I will agree they look ridiculous when worn in public. However, I think most modern footwear trends look pretty ridiculous, and that Crocs are probably one of the lesser offenders. I played college basketball 3 years ago, and actually had trouble finding a pair of shoes that did not have patent leather on them. I see people wearing timberlands and hiking boots with shorts, which is great if you are hiking, but if you are not, looks ridiculous. I think adults who have colored laces in their shoes look silly. The most offensive shoe trend to me is the "heely" brand. Nothing like putting aimless, clueless 9 year olds on wheels to make them more prone to run into people and things in crowded stores.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

even as a Croc supporter, there's definitely some validity to not wearing them to certain places. they do give off an aire of "I don't care," and there are definitely places where you should. to wear Crocs in a nicer place, i put on the same level as a dude keeping his baseball cap on in a restaurant (that's always really bugged me).

but yeah, the $50 price tag is ridiculous. i wear the same Merrell sandals I got for $7. and for my money, Keene's are better than Crocs.

as far as hiking in them, I do like to hike in sandals/Crocs, but the pebbles and sticks that get in there is annoying. but they're fine on long-distance hikes because your feet get so calloused up that you barely even feel a pebble.

I've never worn them, but I don't see what the problem is. What is un-manly about them? Did Mike & Mike talk about them recently or something?

FWIW, I wear sandals with socks sometimes. Apparently you're not supposed to do that. I have no idea why, and nobody has ever been able to explain it to me.

Diskono wrote:

FWIW, I wear sandals with socks sometimes. Apparently you're not supposed to do that. I have no idea why, and nobody has ever been able to explain it to me.

same here, dude. don't know, but apparently it's odd looking. but for me, since almost nobody else does it, it's apparently become my thing, to the point that people will comment if I'm not wearing them. I walked by a group of friends through a crowd last week, and I guess they said to each other "it looks like him, but that guy's not wearing socks and sandals, so it can't be him."

The real pleasure is obviously Crocs with socks! Just ask W!

http://www.portfolio.com/images/feeds/blogs/bushcrocs-large.jpg

I would walk around naked all the time, but society has a way of making me put stuff all over my body every time I walk outside my door. Darn society. I walk around barefoot quite a bit when I'm outside and I'm almost always barefoot while I'm indoors and not working. Work is a place where society is really crippling (I wear steel toe boots there). There is a lot distractions that keep people busy. Shaving, plucking eyebrows, worrying about what shoes you have on your feet. I say if they feel comfortable just do it. It won't bother me if your belly is sticking out.

Those Brewers Crocs may be the nicest shoes I've ever seen. I don't think I've ever paid more than $30-35 for a pair of shoes in my life, but I just might to get those.

EDIT: They are only $35, so I can still keep my "why pay that much for shoes" streak in tact.

Year 2000: "congratulations, new Mr. President. Welcome to the White House. Our first order of business, here's what really happened at Area 51, this is who shot JFK, here's the recipe to Secret Stadium Sauce, and of course, here are your socks with the Presidential Seal."

I couldn't really care less if people think they're not manly or whatever. They look equally bad on everyone; man, woman, or child. And it's not like there's some law of the universe that says things can't be aesthetically pleasing and be comfortable. I have a hard time believing that they couldn't make an equally comfortable shoe that doesn't look like a plastic clog that someone took a hole punch to. Somebody made them look like that on purpose.

So, I'm not buying the excuse that they're comfortable, easy to put on, or whatever; that doesn't make up for the fact that they're still ugly as sin.

I've never worn them, but I don't see what the problem is. What is un-manly about them?

Ummmm, they just look like womens shoes to me. If you were to ask why, i'd put it this way.

When i shop for shoes, even though the mens and womens area are labeled, that's not really needed. By my eyeballs, i can easily spot the area were i see the shoes men wear and the area with shoes i see women wear. Except in the case of a few pairs of tennis shoes that i could see both sexes wearing, boxes don't need to be labeled mens or womens.

So the first time i saw a guy wearing Crocs, my initial thought that came to mind was, damn, why is that guy wearing womens shoes? Then some time after that, i was with a friend at Best Buy and i saw another guy wearing them and i pointed him out to my buddy. He said right away, are those womens clogs with holes in it?

To others, obviously some folks out there don't share that opinion since more and more guys are wearing them, not just women wearing them. I just know i won't be joining those men, regardless if they are very comfortable or not.

Yeah, so, I don't even know how I would go about buying these shoes. I'm reasonably sure that my wife would never buy me shoes that are some type of primary color. It's those type of understandings that help a marriage along.

I dunno. I do know that I need a pair of shoes to slip on/off easily when gardening. I can't walk in the house with muddy feet or Mary will kill me and then probably bury me in Crocs just to prove her point.
-I used to have a neat-o signature, but it got erased.

No.

Expand your question to include women as well and my answer still remains the same.

exactly. Men shouldn't wear sandals of any kind, in my opinion (actually, nobody should, but they are too large a part of women's wardrobes to eliminate, unfortunately). To quote GZA: "that's minimum, and feminine like sandals".

my girlfriend got me a pair of the sandal ones. they look OK and are pretty comfortable, aside from the blisters that the canvas strap is currently causing. they're khaki colored though. yuo wouldn't catch me dead in the clog style ones or anything in the ridiculous colors that they come in.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

I admit it. I didn't know what crocs were until I saw the pictures.

Put me in this group as well.

I wouldn't wear those things. Just don't like how they look.

I'm not afraid to admit I watch "What Not to Wear" from time to time.

So if anyone's looking for an "is it fashionable to wear crocs" answer, my guess is that Stacy and Clinton would probably throw those in the garbage can. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Tennies might be the worst word ever.

agreed, I think it might be an Iowa thing, the only people I've ever heard say it were either from Iowa or had parents from Iowa. Small sample size warning though.

I'm not afraid to admit I watch "What Not to Wear" from time to time.

So if anyone's looking for an "is it fashionable to wear crocs" answer, my guess is that Stacy and Clinton would probably throw those in the

garbage can. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I watch that show too. Stacy London is a fox.

Archived