Brewer Fanatic

Should guys wear Crocs?

The Active 33
I would love to wear crocs. I would also love to wear sweat pants on the town. Lastly, I would love to never have to shave or comb my hair but as a functioning member of society one must sacrafice a little for the sake of others and I am the kind of guy that will subject oneself to make sure others don't have to put up with the stinky hobo walking the streets.

I suppose you never wear a baseball cap out and about, huh?

http://www.boingboing.net/200801091404.jpg

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People with bad feet cannot wear flip flops...they cause too much pain. I can't even wear boat shoes anymore.

It's not a good thing having such high arches that the poster in the podiatrist's office showing high arches aren't even close to as high as mine. You know you're unique when the foot doc goes, "Wow, those are high arches".

with hiking in sandals (no socks) my biggest problem is the inevitable "pebble" that continually gets under your foot every 200 yards or so. I don't drag my feet while I walk but they still get in there. Wouldn't this still be a problem with hiking and wearing crocs? I'd think the dirt and rocks would still get inside the holes and bug the tar out of you every 1/4 mile or so.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I wouldn't wear them, but if they feel comfortable, go ahead. I wear shower sandals everywhere in the summer(that's what I think they are anyway, Adidas slip-ons). They slip on and off quickly. I actually prefer to go barefoot as much as possible as long as I am not stepping on rocks or in anything squishy(poop).

Edit: If we are talking about theses Crocs I say no, but that is a personal choice because I think they look goofy. However it looks like they have normal sandal types.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

No one that has hit puberty should wear crocs...ever. I don't care if they are the most comfortable thing in the world. They look awful.

We had a discussion at work about these one day and we went on their website. I can't believe how many different styles of them they make. They are all awful, but the worst that I saw were meant to look like a dress shoe, yet they still had those stupid holes all over them. Any adult who wears them might as well have a bluetooth on and show everyone how big of a tool they really are.

I'm going to add on to my original post. Based on what many of you stated, Crocs are extremely comfortable and prevent your feet from swelling/sweating. My whole problem is that they came out and look horrendous. I know that there are newer styles but the ugly style that originally came out spread like wildfire and now they are everywhere. Plus, there are waaaaayyy too many ridiculous colors out there. All those bright neon colors died out in the early 1990's...and they were horrible back then too.

I tried to walk in mine tonight, and right away, my feet felt like they were sweaty, so I had to put on socks. Other than that, I'm amazed at how soft they were, very comfy.

As for the other stuff, my dad never wore anything besides work shoes and dress shoes, and wondered why anyone would. As he got older, he discovered how much more comfy tennis shoes were, and never wore anything else the last decade of his life.

Anyone worrying about how they look and such has either never had sore feet, or still is extremely succeptible to peer pressure. I gave that up 2+ decades ago. Years ago, when I broke my little toe, I had to wear slippers at work because the rubbing was very painful. I got a doctor's note, and in 2 weeks, not a single customer, employee, or member of management even mentioned it. Trust me, no one gives a rat's behind what your shoes look like.

All right. Between brewizard's experience and the product list to which logan linked, I'm willing to soften my stance on Crocs (though I think I said in the first place that they look like they'd have a time and a place). This all terrain style looks handy for a rainy day, and most of the color options are neutral.

I stopped sacrificing "style" for comfort some time ago, as I have multiple pairs of Birkenstocks; but most of the Crocs styles are too casual even for my workplace.

(Edited to reconstruct the original end of my post.)

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Thanks for the softening tone, guys!

And, by the way, I agree with those of you who think Crocs are ugly. They are hideous. It's true. I mean look:

http://earthskyknitter.files.wordpress.com/2007/06/crocs.jpg

But then, I personally think tennis shoes are really really ugly:

http://www.uncrate.com/men/images/air-jordan-xxi.jpg

http://www.shoes.com/productimages/shoes_iaec1006388.jpg

Face it. Shoes, in general, are really ugly:

http://www.bestbuymenswear.com/ekmps/shops/bestbuymenswear/images/gucci-dress-shoes024_01%5Bekm%5D387x300%5Bekm%5D.jpg

At least Crocs are comfortable. And lightweight.

"When it comes to shoes, there are usually three deciding factors: quality, price, and style. Some shoes are cheap and stylish, but poor quality, while others are stylish and durable, but expensive. Crocs usually go for $30-$60, which doesn't sound like much for a shoe, until you consider that what you're really paying for are melted pellets squirted into a cast-iron mold in some province in China. Crocs have the rare combination of being expensive, poor quality, and ugly. It's quite a feat for one shoe to suck this bad."
"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

I got a doctor's note, and in 2 weeks, not a single customer, employee, or member of management even mentioned it. Trust me, no one gives a rat's behind what your shoes look like.

Just because someone doesn't say anything to a person, that doesn't mean they aren't thinking something. Same with bad breath. Someone can have breath that could make a horse keel over dead, but few people will speak up and say, your breath smells like rotting garbage, you might want to buy some Tic-Tacs. I was in the very full doctors office waiting area about a week ago and this fat chick had on a way to tight t-shirt that left part of her belly hanging out, but i and nobody else there said to her that she looked pretty damn gross in that top. Given the looks on the faces though i caught of others as they looked at her, i'm quite certain others were sharing my thought.

As for those shoes, whenever i see guys wearing them, they look like a man wearing womens shoes to me. I wouldn't wear them under any circumstances, buy hey, it's their feet and their fashion choices.

Wow. I don't own a pair, but I think people should wear whatever they feel comfortable in, whether that be crocs or a paper bag with a string for a belt. Seriously, don't be so judgmental people.

I personally don't care what other people wear and don't care what people think of what I wear. With that being said, Crocs look absolutely ridiculous, male or female. That's cool if you want to wear them, I just think they're goofy.

I would love to wear crocs. I would also love to wear sweat pants on the town. Lastly, I would love to never have to shave or comb my hair but as a functioning member of society one must sacrafice a little for the sake of others and I am the kind of guy that will subject oneself to make sure others don't have to put up with the stinky hobo walking the streets.

I would drape myself in velvet if it were socially acceptable.

I guess with the MLB logos, they're trying to reach out to men, so maybe perhaps they're okay. But this just seems to be the kind of thing that 5 years from now, everyone will look back with shame on the memory of owning a pair.

Also. . .Where does your foot perspiration go? With any amount of sweat (and I sweat a LOT), It seems that it would be a little slippery & funky inside there.

"When it comes to shoes, there are usually three deciding factors: quality, price, and style. Some shoes are cheap and stylish, but poor quality, while others are stylish and durable, but expensive. Crocs usually go for $30-$60, which doesn't sound like much for a shoe, until you consider that what you're really paying for are melted pellets squirted into a cast-iron mold in some province in China. Crocs have the rare combination of being expensive, poor quality, and ugly. It's quite a feat for one shoe to suck this bad."

I got my croc knock-offs for 10 bucks...

I got my croc knock-offs for 10 bucks...

Croc knock offs don't use the same patented material. So they won't feel the same.

Crocs are ugly. They are. But they are, simply put, the most comfortable, lightweight, easy to take on and off shoes I've ever worn.

So a bunch of manly-men don't like the way they look, and would be mortified to be caught dead in them. However, these same guys will happily walk around in something that looks like this:

http://x9d.xanga.com/cdab40516323534675987/z23981230.jpg

Somehow, old, ugly tennis shoes are socially acceptable, and Crocs are not.

Honestly, men, unless you look like this:

http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/51057856.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=03FC8F4A2C60278158EC03F02F49812E284831B75F48EF45

you are dressed like a modern slob, and history will be less kind to you than you think, Crocs or no Crocs.

I went to the Canadian Grand Prix in Montreal the other week. They had a Crocs kiosk on the circuit and I checked it out. I almost bought a pair of these. Link

They looked pretty nice to me and I need a pair of casual everyday shoes that don't look like tennies. I don't know. They look acceptable to me. What does everyone think?

IMO, Crocs are the fannie pack of the '00s.

You can probably still get away with wearing them right now, but the tide will turn over the next year or two....so don't be surprised when people start making fun of them.

Archived