Brewer Fanatic

To go to RENT, or not to go?

jason21nl
At the end of this month I'll be going to New York with a group of people and the majority of them want to go see the musical RENT. I'm going to admit I know nothing about it except for the little bit I have looked up on the internet. I'll also say that I have no real interest in plays, or musicals and the only way I'm considering it is because of the group of people that want to go. I don't want to be the only one out of 6 people to say no to it but like I also said, I'm not really into this type of thing. So should I suck it up and go with? Or should I just find a bar and sit there for a couple hours by myself(I would have no problem with this) Has anyone been to this, and if so did you like it? Any info or input would be appreciated. Thanks

How much of your overall trip to NY would the musical take up?

I'm not a big fan of that kind of show myself, but if it's on Broadway, and it doesn't eat up like half your time there, I'd give it a go just for the experience. You can sit in a bar for a couple of hours anywhere.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Rent is horribly depressing. There are so many other shows to consider. . .I've never heard a single bad word about Jersey Boys.

If your group doesn't have a specific show in mind, visit the TKTS booth on Times Square to get tickets at discounted prices. And don't be shy about seeing something Off Broadway either.

Lots of good ones. Altar Boyz, Avenue Q, I Love You. . .Now Change, Stomp!, Gypsy, Lion King, Spamalot, Mamma Mia. . .Blue Man Group

I really enjoy live theater, but if you're only going to see one show, and especially if you're going to pop for $120 a seat (or whatever), I'd pass on Rent.

I saw RENT last time I was in New York (98) and like you I got dragged to it by the people I was with. I'm not a fan of musicals and seeing RENT didn't change that. And while I didn't get anything from the musical itself, I felt better for going because I got to see it with my friends and it was something I otherwise wouldn't have done. Plus every two years or so RENT comes up in conversation (or Jeopardy, BF.net) and I get to give my opinion on it.

If I was in New York and had a chance to see a Broadway show, I would probably hope to see anything but Rent. But if that was the only choice, I think I would probably do it. Like hawing said, you can sit in a bar anywhere. It kinda reminds me of when I was younger and I would go on vacations and spend all of my money on things that I could easily find at home. For some reason, it felt cooler because I was buying it in D.C. or something like that.

Also, you know you enjoy sitting in a bar, but do you even know how you really feel about musicals? How will you ever know if you don't experience it? Contrary to popular belief, it doesn't make you less of a man to enjoy musical theatre (at least I hope not http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif )

Finally, and here's the kicker, if there are any attractive women in this group of friends, you have a prime opportunity to both show that you're up for trying new things, and that you don't think you're too macho to see a musical. There's a chance that it could be noticed that you're willing to try anything. There is little to no chance of them noticing you if you bail and sit in a bar while they go to a show.

While reading this, keep in mind that it's terribly difficult for me to suggest to anyone to go see Rent. But I think everyone can become a little more rounded by experiencing new things.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

I never would have thought I would be the type to like theater and/or musicals, until I dated an actress/singer a while back. I then felt obligated to see her shows, and I really enjoyed it. She took me to see some Broadway shows, and I really enjoyed that as well. I now go to the theater whenever I get the chance, even though I haven't been with her in several years. Needless to say I highly suggest you give it a shot.

I saw Phantom of the Opera on Broadway my senior year of high school. I enjoy musical theatre and loved the show, but my friends who saw the show and find musicals less appealling were very happy that we took in a show. Just a thought. I wouldn't pass it up.

RENT is by far my favorite show. I've seen in three times (New York, Chicago, and Milwaukee). There were all fantastic, but the one in New York was by far the best. Then again, I haven't seen Wicked yet, which i've heard is pretty amazing. I also saw Les Miserables in New York, that was a great show as well.

However, if you really aren't into plays or musicals, you probably won't have a good time.

If I were to suggest a show to anyone, it would be RENT.

Archived