Brewer Fanatic

Deadspin on Prince's eating habits

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I just wish people on both sides of the vegetarian issue would stop judging those on the other side. If Prince wants to go veggie, good for him. If it affects his performance on the field (which I really doubt) I'm not going to get mad at him if he feels so strongly about it.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I just wish people on both sides of the vegetarian issue would stop judging those on the other side. If Prince wants to go veggie, good for him. If it affects

his performance on the field (which I really doubt) I'm not going to get mad at him if he feels so strongly about it.

You're willing to let someone else's moral values take precedent over your entertainment? Blasphemy.

I just wish people on both sides of the vegetarian issue would stop judging those on the other side. If Prince wants to go veggie, good for him. If it affects his performance on the field (which I really doubt) I'm not going to get mad at him if he feels so strongly about it.

Here, here! I couldn't agree more. Some day I want all you meat eating Wisconsinites to come out to the Bay Area for a big grill out. We'll have burgers, brats, and polish sausage for the meat eaters and veggie dogs, fakin bacon (tempeh style, truly delicious), bbq seitan, and grilled eggplant strips for the veggies. Then we can put on our Braun, De la Rosa, and Cocanower jerseys, turn on the Brewer game, cheer wildly for Branyan, collectively groan when Sheets leaves the game with a toothache, and complain endlessly when Yost's bullpen management blows the game.

MK

Really who cares if he is or isn't a vegetarian. What I think needs to be addressed is his overall size. He seems to be quite a bit larger than last year and I think it is really affecting his production. He is a barrel chested man who has tremendous power. He is talented but he is TOO HEAVY! I believe his size is leading to his slow start. IMO he is struggling with his bat speed because he is having a tough time opening his hips and rotating his upper body. Eat meat or don't eat meat but at least work as hard as you can to keep your body in top shape to maximize your production as well as your future in the league. I would bet that many teams in this league would be very wary of signing Fielder to a long term deal because of the perception that he will not stay in good enough shape to realize his vast potential. Eating rib eye steaks or PBJ makes little difference, it comes down to the quantity and quality of the food in the diet and the amount of exercise needed to burn the calories consumed. He needs to slim down!

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Probably not. He eats meat.

You don't know that he does or doesn't.

Just like I don't know if he could beat your brother up.

Just like you don't know that you're in better shape than 99% of the posters here.

Internet boasting makes a person super cool.

Probably not. He eats meat.

You don't know that he does or doesn't.

Just like I don't know if he could beat your brother up.

Just like you don't know that you're in better shape than 99% of the posters here.

Internet boasting makes a person super cool.

Actually, I was talking about *my* brother, and he does eat meat (next time I'll get out the blue font). Learn to take a joke, dude.

For whatever reason, last year they were more willing to pitch to him.

You haven't answered the question yet. Earlier you blamed his production on who is hitting behind him and it's not all that different from last year. It seems you went from the theory that Prince doesn't have a "good power hitter" behind him to the league is adjusting to him. It kind of only goes one way with that since the guys behind him haven't changed all that much.

Wasn't Ryan Braun and Corey Hart hitting behind Fielder earlier in the season?

Any who, the thing I don't like about Prince not eating meat is that Prince read it from what is probably a propaganda book. So instead of attacking the problem and making sure that all the meat he ate was kosher or the animals were treated properly that he ate he cut meat out of his diet completely?

I just don't get it.

I worked on a farm, I have been to meat processing plants. I don't get what he is all worked up about. That they die so we can eat? If you don't like the way Oscar Meyer makes a hot dog. Don't eat Oscar Meyer or the Hot Dog, but don't cut meat out of the whole food group. If you don't like the way your meat is being processed buy it straight from a Farmer and go investigate the processing plant. Prince is rich enough that he could easily do that. Hell you don't have to even be rich. Millions of Americans already do it.

Also I love how all the vegan groups and animal rights groups complain about how badly animals such as cows, chickens or pigs are treated but none of them come to the realization that if they were not used for food and grown on farms that there would probably at least 60% less of them in the world (totally rough guess).

Maybe Fielder does have a diet in place that would work. If it was Gabe Kapler going Vegetarian I would trust him a little more. It just doesn't seem like a nice healthy salad and legumes were what prince was craving before he turned vegetarian so I don't really see how that would be his main courses. Maybe I am wrong though, maybe Prince is what most people look like about 4 months after they substitute Vegetables, Legumes, Nuts and whole grains into the diet instead of meat and play a professional sport daily during that time period.

I don't have all the facts and I shouldn't really criticize. Literature can influence peoples lives dramatically. I guess I just wished for Prince Fielder's sake that his wife would have given him a book about how a healthy diet can affect a person's life instead of a book on how poorly animals are treated during food processing or whatever it was. Although I might be wrong and Prince might be in better overall physical health this year than he was last year. But for some reason he just doesn't look like it to me

By the way

I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich Mahoghany. I--I'm friends with Merlin Olsen, too. He comes over on occasion.

"A healthy, vegetarian athlete who can probably out-run, out-swim, out-bike, and out-lift 99% of the people on this message board"

And who is nowhere near the best meat-eaters in any of those sports. Especially lifting.

Oh I wouldn't say that, I bet he takes down a good sassage.

Nonetheless, I'm not trying to claim that going veggie magically makes one healthy. If you're living off of doritos, mountain dew, marshmallow peeps, and hot dogs, dumping the hot dogs isn't going to fix much. Prince is a heavy set dude with some big-boned genes running the show. Whether he's taking care of that body or not, I don't really know. When he comes up to bat, I think we all have to admit that he doesn't look too fit. He looks like someone that... well... lives off of doritos, mountain dew, and marshmallow peeps.

Yeah, that was kinda my point about the reports on Prince's diet.

I guess I forgot what it's like to live in the Midwest. This sort of close-minded attitude...

Ah yes, demonstrating your coastal "open-mindedness" by putting down an entire region.

Not sure what is closed minded about finding that one does not like lentils, beans, humus and other typical fashionable healthy vegetarian fare. But I understand, I'd probably also be a bit testy if I had to eat that stuff instead of tasty dead animals http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/tongue.gif.

Oh no. Not the "it's not natural" argument. The vegetarianism isn't "natural" argument is pretty weak IMHO.

Congratulations on demolishing that straw man. Of course, the point actually being made was not with regard to "natural" in the sense of "organic" or not manufactured, rather it is that since man evolved eating meat, perhaps our bodies are designed to function best with some meat and eating meat is as normal or "natural" for us as it is for a lion, tiger, or bear...oh my.

That is not to say that with careful dietary planning this can not be gotten around.

The thing about Prince is his concern is reportedly the treatment of the animals, not specifically the concept of killing them to eat them. As someone else pointed out, he did not need to give up meat to avoid eating "mistreated" aninmals. In addition, the apparent fact that he still eats cheese would seem to indicate that he's okay with "abusing" baby bovines.

"A healthy, vegetarian athlete who can probably out-run, out-swim, out-bike, and out-lift 99% of the people on this message board"

And who is nowhere near the best meat-eaters in any of those sports. Especially lifting.

Oh I wouldn't say that, I bet he takes down a good sassage.

Wow, thanks for contributing to the conversation with a vulgar, off-topic ad hominem. My comment was meant (I thought rather obviously, guess not) to be tongue-in-cheek and silly, but it obviously threatened the masculinity of several board members. To all who took umbrage, I apologize. Next time I'm in Wisco, we can run a race. I promise to go easy so you can win (I'll blame it on the tofu and my lack of energy). That way everyone's masculinity can be vindicated.

I guess I forgot what it's like to live in the Midwest. This sort of close-minded attitude...

Ah yes, demonstrating your coastal "open-mindedness" by putting down an entire region.

You're right, I was being a little unfair with that comment. There are close-minded and open-minded people everywhere - the coasts and the great lake states are no exception. However, from my personal experience (small sample alert), I can honestly say that it's much easier and much less shocking/controversial/eyebrow raising/anger inducing to be a vegetarian in northern California than in Southeast Wisconsin.

jeffyscott wrote:

Not sure what is closed minded about finding that one does not like lentils, beans, humus and other typical fashionable healthy vegetarian fare.

Well you did admit (or imply) that you didn't even know what tempeh or seitan are, yet you dismissed them as being "probably something gross". I would call that close-minded.

Honestly, no offense to anyone, but this whole topic should just be locked at this point, IMHO. It's not generating any kind of objective or worthwhile conversation, and has already been discussed in several other threads.

Yep.

Archived