Brewer Fanatic

Instant Replay for MLB

brewcrew00

Doing it for the final 2 months of the season seems silly, and as much as I cringe about instant replay in baseball, I think its becoming hard to argue against. Maybe its the media attention, but it really seems that there are so many more blatantly blown calls this season. I remember someone posting a clip earlier this season from a Braves game, that was just amazingly bad.

Overall I think the umpiring has been brutal this year, its hard to decide how to even use instant replay. The balls and strikes are really all over the place this year, bad calls at bases seem up, and then the homerun misses.

It's about time baseball adopted replay. In this era of technology, there is no need for human error anymore. I would actually like to expand replay and overturn ALL blown calls, not just homeruns.

Yeah, the umpires seem to be doing their best this year to remove the doubters. Umpiring has been an abomination this year, and I think something needs to be done. That said, they should probably wait until next spring, rather than doing anything mid-season.

It's about time baseball adopted replay. In this era of technology, there is no need for human error anymore. I would actually like to expand replay and overturn ALL blown calls, not just homeruns.

It is a good idea, as mentioned in the article, to get the bugs out now before the post season games. Also, my belief is that if you use it for many other calls the games will last longer than they are now. If it is for, say, one home run call, the game is not taking longer as you are eliminating the arguing time that you usually have.

I just liked how baseball was left alone with replay until now. I know the umpires mess up enough, but that human error is part of the game, it's gone long enough just fine, I just don't see a reason to change it now, simply because the technology is there.

Also, my belief is that if you use it for many other calls the games will last longer than they are now

Actually, it will save time because you won't have to sit through long arguments between managers and umpires. They can have a rule that nobody is allowed to come out of the dugout and argue a call that was decided by replay.

I know the umpires mess up enough, but that human error is part of the game, it's gone long enough just fine, I just don't see a reason to change it now, simply because the technology is there.

I think getting the calls right is more important than maintaining silly outdated traditions. History is full of examples of where machine replaced man. It's called progress.

Community Moderator

I'm one of those who used to be against replay but am now in favor of it.

Home runs that are close are very difficult to call, especially with crazy walls and dimensions in parks like Minute Maid. Usually, the correct call is quite obvious on replay, but with the umpires running into the outfield to make a call, it is easy to see why they could screw up.

I also am fine with it being used on fair/foul calls.

Here's how I would do it:

-Have a central command center like the NHL that handles all replay calls, with a headset set up near the dugout

-For HR and fair/foul calls, all close plays should be automatically replayed (this would probably be less than 1 per game).

-For safe/out calls, managers get 1 challenge per game. If they win the challenge, they can challenge again.

-No replay on balls and strikes. Umpires are correct 95% of the time. Automated umpires may be ok at some point, but not for at least 10-20 years.

It should not be implemented in August. The policy should be tested in Spring Training and implemented for the 2009 season if it works successfully.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Just because something has been a certain way for a really long time doesn't make it right. I'm sure the guys playing for millions of dollars want to know that their efforts decide games, not an arbitrary call by a guy who's 200 feet from a ball that could be 1" either way over/not over a fence.

I'm 1 million % in favor of replay, for example, had Fielders ball been a HR that game would have have hurt even more. I know I know it wasn't but teams around the league have had Hr's taken away from them, if a simple call to a review monitor is all it takes and an umpire has a "bluetooth" in his ear, man isn't this a no-brainer??

As long as the Instant Replay isn't implemented like the NFL's I will be OK with it. I would prefer something like what they have in college football over anything else. Having it decide fair/foul or home run or not a home run will be fine by me. You still have the human element in the calling of strikes and everything else. This will just help the umpires out a lot with making these judgmental calls that they may not even had seen.

I am for sure in favor of this. I hope they have a guy that is up in a booth for fair/foul balls and HR calls to ease the time constrant. This also means those very close foul balls will be called fair and then overturned more. Hockey was given a lot of credit for changing the rules midway through and baseball should get that same credit.

Like many of you, I'm in favor of the replay for fair/foul/home run balls. However, I'd be extremely against implementing it in the middle of the season. Why is it fair that some people get robbed before the all-star break, but we can check the replay as we get closer to the playoffs? New technology is great, but jumping in without preparation is a poor choice.

Yeah, I think implementing it mid-season is sort of strange. How will it help teams who have already been negatively affected by the umps in some way so far this season? I say bring it in during spring training next year, or even test it down in AAA at a few parks, then go in feet first on opening day next year.

Also, my belief is that if you use it for many other calls the games will last longer than they are now

Actually, it will save time because you won't have to sit through long arguments between managers and umpires. They can have a rule that nobody is allowed to come out of the dugout and argue a call that was decided by replay.

That, AJAY, is the idea behind the home run calls. They have to draw the line someplace or else players/managers will will be crying 'blown call' on more plays than they are now. Plus, they need to work out the kinks. As much as you might want it for about every other thing, this is a good start. Maybe down the road.

Yeah, I think implementing it mid-season is sort of strange.

The one thing I wonder about, is how they are going to position all of the cameras in all the differently shaped fields to ensure good angles. It seems like it would take some time to figure out. I could see doing it in the off-season, but it seems rushed mid-season.

In Hockey you have identical playing surfaces -- not so in baseball.

God help us all, if they are relying on FSN's camerawork.

I'll play the old man: I love how it is now, the human element. The occasional blown call, the occasional horrendous call that gets chronicled on the team's wiki page, the manager-umpire argument ritual. It adds to the enjoyment for me.

I'll play the old man: I love how it is now, the human element. The occasional blown call, the occasional horrendous call that gets chronicled on the team's wiki page, the manager-umpire argument ritual. It adds to the enjoyment for me.

This will still happen since you will still have the plays where the umps can blow the call at any of the bases and the strikes and balls will still be human determined.

This is what I'm saying, I love how baseball hasn't fell into the use of replay. And I understand "progress" but simply because it's available, doesn't mean it's the best option.

And I understand "progress" but simply because it's available, doesn't mean it's the best option.

I understand personal preference. I don't understand how not righting obvious wrongs is the best option.

Archived