Brewer Fanatic

Tim Russert RIP

homer

Wow -- did not see that one coming. Sheesh.

he definitely one of the few reporters who treated politicians from both parties fairly. He was a great journalist.

Seconded. The truly objective reporter seems to be a dying breed http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/frown.gif

"Tim Russert, NBC News' Washington bureau chief and the moderator of "Meet the Press," died Friday after a sudden heart attack at the bureau, NBC News said Friday. He was 58.

Russert was recording voiceovers for Sunday's "Meet the Press" program when he collapsed, the network said. He and his family had recently returned from Italy, where they celebrated the graduation of Russert's son, Luke, from Boston College."

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Yea, you could just tell by watching him the passion and love he had for what he did. Just a devastating loss. One of my favorites. He was simply one of the best. I'm going to miss him.

I was talking to my 82 year old grandmother the other day about the presidential race and politics in general with MSNBC on and grandma turns to me and says, "you know how I think should be President? Tim Russert" and meant it. She really liked him.

Rest in peace Tim. 58 is far too young.

Election night isn't going to be the same without him manning the whiteboard.

His personal politics tilted one-way, but that didn't stop him from asking the tough questions to his guests, regardless of affiliation. That's a character trait that's all too rare in beltway journalism. I always tried to watch Meet the Press on Sunday mornings; he'll most certainly be missed.

(Kinda makes me wish the Bills would've won one of those Super Bowls for him...)

Certianly didn't see that coming. I attened a speech he gave on ethics in the media while I was in college. While I thought I tended to be a little biased to the left, he was an extremely likeable and sincere individual

I agree with you, but I think any bias was slight, and when you consider how much passion he had for what he did, it's forgivable. He loved this job. It would be like you or I writing about sports and someone saying we had a Brewers bias. Of course we do. When you put him next to Bill O'Reilly or Keith Olbermann, he was the cream of the crop.

I'm sorry if this seems extreme but I'm really shaken up over this. I met Tim multiple times, and I can tell you that of the famous people I've been able to meet, he stuck me as a truly genuine individual. I met him at a restaurant before an event in which he was speaking, and I later saw him that night at the event. I was there early, and when he saw my group of friends, his eyes lit up and he said, "You actually came!" He appeared genuinely happy to see us. He was unique, genuine and real ... he was human. I didn't really know him, but I'm really going to miss seeing him on television. And whoever commented about the election night is exactly right ... it won't be the same without him.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

A huge loss, and I echo all the sentiments mentioned above.

You do wonder what toll his work schedule, which we're hearing was near never-ending (self-imposed), had on his health. He was an immensely popular guest speaker, and had done several commencement speeches as of late as well.

MSNBC has literally dozens of video reports available.

He left his family in Italy, where they had went on vacation to celebrate his son graduating college, to come back early to do the show this week.

A lifetime of stress like that may well have played a part. They also said Big Russ just went into an assisted living facility...I don't think it's an exaggeration to say this will be very tough and unhealthy for him.

If I had to guess, I'd bet that Brokaw takes over on a purely interim basis until the General Election is over, and then a replacement would be found. However, because Brokaw is not as much of an interviewer as say, Andrea Mitchell or David Gregory, I could see somebody else taking over permanently right from the beginning. These are two names that are supposedly the most likely to replace Russert.

I was in shock when I found out, and I still am. Today's Meet the Press was very sad, and I don't think it's really hit me yet that he will not be in that position ever again.

Archived