Brewer Fanatic

Metrodome Roll Call

Where is a good place to mingle at a family friendly restaurant/pub before the game?

If you love a good burger and don't mind catching a cab, you should hop down to Matt's Bar on Cedar Ave. It's not quite 3 miles from your hotel (Mapquest) and that have what are called "juicy lucy's" up here in the cities. They are burgers stuffed with cheese that flows out as you eat it. I love them and haven't met a burger eating person that doesn't. As far as it being a family place, I have never seen anything over the top when I have been there so I would think you should be alright. You can see their website here.

If you do go, make sure to get there 20 or 30 minutes before you would want to eat because they don't have much seating and there is a short list sometimes.

On that note, I might be there myself before the friday night game. All this talk about these burgers has made me crave one. If anybody else is going to be there, let me know.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My brother and I will be at the Saturday and Sunday games (we will leave Racine Saturday morning to drive all the way up there). We will be staying at the Best Western a few blocks away.

So add these two the list:

jaybird2001wi

jaybird2001wi's older brother

I still haven't decided on this series yet. My boy wants to go to a couple of road games and this is the only remaning weekend series that is within reasonable driving distance from Milwaukee. But I hate that dome, horrible place to watch a game. And I don't think much of Twink fans after their "Flood Insurance" chants last weekend.

Here is a nice article about the Brewer fan base and how well they have been traveling. It says that the Twins are expected 3,000-5,000 Brewer fans for each game this weekend. I guess when we arrive in downtown Minneapolis on Friday, I should make sure I stay on the look out for "Rock" as the article says!

Brewer Nation

It says that the Twins are expected 3,000-5,000 Brewer fans for each game this weekend.

Doesn't that seem like a really low estimate? I've never been to a Brewer game there, but even if there's only 30,000 fans there a day, that's anywhere from a 6:1 or 10:1 ratio of Twins fans, I doubt it'll be that. Plus, earlier in the thread dadofandrew said:

It used to be about 2-1 Twins' fans, but I have not been there in a decade.

The Brewers are better now than they were 10 years ago, so you'd think more fans would be going from Milwaukee. I know the Twins weren't good about 10 years ago but I still doubt it'll only be 3-5,000.

I will be there with a group of 20 on Saturday in the LF Home Run Porch.

PS if you can get there early for BP in LF. The ball just gravitates that way and there is a lot of action.

I'm taking my sons for the Sunday game. Any idea what time the gates open for batting practice?

I'll be there hopefully. It's been hard to get some reasonably priced tickets. If anyone has any extras, send me a PM. I only live 45 minutes from the Giant Trash Bag.

This is a "Premium Game" for the Metrodome, so tickets are $5 more. I bought 9th row left field bleacher tickets on MLB.com last night (Monday) for $25 a ticket. A checked out StubHub, but the ticket prices on that site are very expensive. There were a lot of people selling tickets on Craigslist-Minneapolis.

The Metrodome is definitely a Giant Trash Bag. I've only been to a handful of major league stadiums. This one is surely the worst. Just think, there is a whole generation of Twin's fans that have never seen an MLB game outdoors. They are going to be very happy when the new stadium opens (except for those games in April when it is snowing out!).

Since this thread got bumped up a bit, I think Lukevan mentioned a place to get a bite to eat downtown. Where is a good place to mingle at a family friendly restaurant/pub before the game? As mentioned, we are staying downtown 4 blocks from the Humpty Dome at the Best Western Normandy Inn (on 8th Street).

walk west five blocks from the hotel towards nicollet mall. up (to the right) and down (to the left) nicollet mall are lots of good eateries.

i like: the newsroom, mccormick & schmick's, the local, brit's pub and m&s grill. continue north up nicollet mall (the street numbers will get smaller) and you can board lrt for 50 cents heading east to the dome. you can easily walk back to your hotel from the dome. just head west a few blocks to 5th avenue and head south.

two more blocks west of nicollet mall is hennepin avenue. more eateries abound, and if you head north on hennepin, you can board lrt there as well. still 50 cents to the dome.

and to correct a previous poster, they are known as jucy lucy's . . . no "i" in the first word. do not, i repeat, do not take a bite right away. you will burn off half your face.

i highly recommend that minneapolis visitors walk north from the dome towards the river and towards the big, blocky blue building. (for your reference, kirby puckett plaza is on the west side of the dome.) big blue is the guthrie theater. walk inside, and go up the escalators. continue walking forward once off the escalators. trust me.

and since you'll be over there, check out mill city museum to the west and the stone arch bridge that spans across the river.

I'm going Saturday. I live in La Crosse, so I usually go to at least one in MN per year since it's an hour closer than Milwaukee. I always park at the Mall of America and ride the light rail to the dome. Cheap transport, don't have to pay for parking, and I kinda like the ride.

I just got a couple GA for the Saturday and Sunday games. It just so happens that I'll be in town for a wedding on Saturday afternoon and then cut out afterwards and head to the game. Hope to see a lot of Brewers clothing. My cousin (displaced Wisconsinite) is joining my brother and me on Saturday so hopefully it will be a good one.

GA stretches from just around the LF foul pole to the baggy in RF. Right, Center Field doesn't have very much seating due to the large curtain that hangs down. If you're sitting GA, get there EARLY. Also, if you sit in RF and are about 6-7 rows up, get a good look at Hart when he is hitting, cuz you won't see him in the field.

Archived