Brewer Fanatic

Wild Card Speculation (Latest: 10 Game September Roadtrip)

Arizona vs. Chicago Cubs

Milwaukee vs. Philadelphia

Wild-card team plays the best team, provided they do not belong to the same division. It's a pretty safe bet that'd the Brewers would be playing the NL East Champion in the NLDS.

Personally I would rather play against the Phillies than the Diamondbacks. Webb and Haren is a better 1 2 punch in the beginning of the rotation than Zambrano and Harden/or anyone else on the Cubs roster. I would still take the Diamondbacks over the Cubs in the playoffs even with their current struggles.

I would rather take my chances with the Phillies pitching staff than the Diamondbacks pitching staff.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With how the Cubs finish the season in September, and with how the Mets have been starting to come alive, I think we're going to be really confused with who to root for in that 4 game set prior to the last weekend.

Yeah, it is going to be messed up. The Central will be close either way, and so will the East. There might be a five-team scramble, between those two divisions, for three playoff spots.

The safest thing is always to just take care of business within your own division, and the Brewers will have a chance to do that with the Cubs at the end of the year.

Eh, that Webb-Haren combo isn't so deadly for the Cubs now that they could possibly counter it with Zambrano-Harden, and they'd probably have the edge in the third game with Dempster vs. Davis -- not to mention they'd likely have homefield advantage in that series, and Wrigley would be absolutely rocking in the playoffs with a season like this. Anything could happen in a 5-game series, though...no one was counting on Zambrano and Lilly imploding in the desert last year.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

I'd much rather play Arizona. One would expect Arizona to be pretty close to .500, probably stumbling into the playoffs, and of course, Arizona's offense is nowhere near as explosive as Philadelphia's. Heck, the Brewers are 10-4 against Arizona the past two seasons (if they don't puke up that game on July 3, they're 11-3). I'll take my chances with Sheets/Sabathia v. Webb/Haren.

Philadelphia would be rocking...Arizona likely not. I could see the Brewers caving in a pressure-filled, electric environment.

I thought Zambrano was pulled early with the game still in doubt last year so he could make another start on short rest in the series.

Sorry, you're right -- Zambrano was taken out with the game still tied at 1. Marmol was brought in and he gave up a go-ahead HR and a sac fly to make it 3-1. Lilly did get roughed up pretty bad against Doug Davis in Game 2, though.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Now there are Holliday-to-the-Mets rumors, which could really shake up the WC picture. I almost (but not fully?) think that could impact the Brewers as much as Harden going to Cubs -- it could really propel them forward over the second half. They could have a serious middle of the lineup.

Edit: On second thought, I checked some trade scenarios, and they seem far-fetched at best. Ken Rosenthal strikes again!

• 2 weeks later...

The Cardinals did what they had to do, in climbing out of a hole every day to beat the last-place Padres. Good for them, they deserve credit, they've been getting it done all year.

Unfortunately for the Cardinals, the Brewers also did what they had to do, in pulling off a road sweep, also against an inferior opponent. Both teams gained some ground on the Cubs, but at the top of the wild card standings, St Louis added 1/2 game, while winning every game they played.

Here come the Brewers for four games, every bit as hot as the Cardinals. If the Brewers manage a split in this series, the Cards will have burned 8 home games to gain 1/2 game on the Crew. McClung vs Piniero is a matchup the Brewers might be able to win, and we've got Sabathia and Sheets for the second half of the series - a split is certainly possible.

Here's to 2 (or more) wins in St Louis, and a bit of frustration in Cardinal Land, as the home schedule gets shorter, while the standings stand still.

Soon enough, we'll be playing at home....and the Padres are still on the schedule.

National League

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/images/nl_symbol.gif
Team W L PCT GB E# L10 STRK LAST GAME NEXT GAME
Milwaukee 57 43 .570 - - 7-3 W6 7/22 @ STL, W 4-3 7/23 @ STL, 8:15P
St. Louis 57 45 .559 1.0 61 6-4 L2 7/22 v MIL, L 3-4 7/23 v MIL, 8:15P
Florida 53 47 .530 4.0 59 7-3 W1 7/22 v ATL, W 4-0 7/23 v ATL, 7:10P
NY Mets 53 47 .530 4.0 59 7-3 L1 7/22 v PHI, L 6-8 7/23 v PHI, 7:10P
LA Dodgers 49 51 .490 8.0 55 5-5 L1 7/22 @ COL, L 1-10 7/23 @ COL, 3:05P
Cincinnati 49 53 .480 9.0 53 6-4 W1 7/22 v SD, W 4-3 7/23 v SD, 12:35P
Atlanta 47 53 .470 10.0 53 5-5 L1 7/22 @ FLA, L 0-4 7/23 @ FLA, 7:10P

Edit: Took out lower half of standings.

I wanted to share this post from a Yankee beat writer with Brewers fans. He posted the odds from bodog.com on several categories, including the chances of a team winning the World Series, NL Pennant, and NL MVP and Cy Young. Take it for what it's worth, but I thought it was cool to see where the Brewers ranked. (BTW, it was before the Brewers won and Cubs lost tonight.)

ETA: Check out who was ranked last in the NL MVP section. LOL! Why was he even included?

Check out who was ranked last in the NL MVP section. LOL! Why was he even included?
Because Vegas was looking to make some extra dollars off of a big name. What a sucker bet.

I like those odds though. Notice how the Twins are 25 to 1 and the Brewers are 12 to 1 to win the WS. Vegas also thinks the Twins are getting lucky. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/tongue.gif

Check out who was ranked last in the NL MVP section. LOL! Why was he even included?
Because Vegas was looking to make some extra dollars off of a big name. What a sucker bet.

I like those odds though. Notice how the Twins are 25 to 1 and the Brewers are 12 to 1 to win the WS. Vegas also thinks the Twins are getting lucky. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/tongue.gif

That's probably not the case. It's most likely because the AL is considered tougher than the NL and thus the Twins' road to win the WS will be more difficult than the Brewers'.

They have to compete directly with the White Sox and Tigers in their division and would have to compete with one of those teams plus two of the Rays, Red Sox, and Yankees to grab the WC. Factor in the Angels in the playoffs, and that's a more formidable challenge than the mix of the Dbacks, Dodgers, Cubs, Cards, Mets, Phils, and Marlins in the NL.

1992casey wrote:
The first one was fine, but it'd be better not to continually be posting the standings directly into this thread. They're easy enough to look up.

As an occasional option, let me suggest this. ESPN's standings offer some nice sort options. Here's an example sorting for wild card order on June 1. Grab the date you desire, then copy and use the URL.

To grab an URL that would force today's standings to still show up tomorrow, toggle the popup to a different date, then toggle it back.

There's been a bit of confusion about posting standings to this thread. Mods have discussed this and have come to this consensus.

The issue is that posting messages containing nothing but standings bumps the thread, causing members to click through and see something they're probably looking at anyway. Besides all of our favorite places to check standings, they also tend to be posted in the In-Game Threads. Standings in the IGTs are fine, of course.

Therefore, messages in this thread should focus on useful and interesting content. Messages containing only standings will be hidden. If there's a case where a small snippet of the day's standings or a link adds clarity to an original post, that's fine.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

That's probably not the case. It's most likely because the AL is considered tougher than the NL and thus the Twins' road to win the WS will be more difficult than the Brewers'.
That's a valid point, and that sure is a factor, but I think if you asked Vegas who was a better team, they would say the Brewers. That's just my speculation though.

the brewers are at +250? Really? I better go back to Vegas with my wife next week (she has to pick some stuff up) and place some wagers.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Archived