Brewer Fanatic

Anyone else ever have nasal surgery?

danzig6767

All of my life i've never been able to breathe good through my nose, so i decided to finally go see a ear, nose, throat doctor. It took him about 5-10 seconds looking into my nose to say i had a deviated septum, which i had never heard of before. The doctor basically said that if i wanted to be able to breathe through my nose, i'd need to have surgery on that deviated septum. He did warn me that after the surgery, i'd have packing in my nose and be uncomfortable.

Well a warning to anyone whoever decides to have surgery on your nose, my lord is it flat out miserable. I had it done yesterday and after i got home, it was one of if not the most miserable days of my life. Blood and mucus fills up your nose with the packing inside it, but you aren't allowed to blow your nose. When you try to eat or drink, you start to gag because your nose is so plugged. My whole face and mouth feels swollen and sore. When you try lay down to sleep, your nose fill up even more, to the point it feels like the congestion goes all the way back to your eyeballs and it feels like i'm breathing through a thin straw.

Has anyone else here had surgery on their nose and was it as miserable as what i'm going through right now? It's taking every bit of willpower in my body to not just rip this packing out ASAP and not wait until Saturday.

You've got to look at the big picture - it's going to be a tough few days, but the rest of your life will be better than if you had never gone through with the surgery. Hang in there.

I had it done when I was in high school. I caught an elbow in the face playing basketball so just opted for the "all-in-one" readjustment plus septoplasty. I felt miserable for a week, being pretty much homebound. I think I nearly finished an entire season of High Heat baseball in a week.

Yup, absolutely miderable. Worst pain I've ever been in -- was after that surgery. Two knee surgeries and an ankle surgery were all nothing compared to the septoplasty. It was one week of hell, another week of pain and then back to "normal." However, it took several months before I really noticed a difference in my breathing and was better than before.

Before my septoplasty, I really could not breathe through my nose at all. But now, I can breathe freely and life's a lot better. So, in the end, it's worth it, but I wouldn't want to go back to those first two weeks after the surgery, that's for sure.

Hang in there!

Just had it done in April. Mine surprisingly wasn't too bad and they didn't have to pack it. But even now, over two months later, it still feels weird and I'm still not completely opened up yet. It's much better than it was before though, even though it's not completely healed.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

my girlfriend wondered about it, because when we'd be watching TV and I'd dose, I'd snore. Also, I have a slightly crooked nose. All of my nose bleeds in my life (plenty given my allergies, and that I now live in a desert) have been the right nostril. I've never wondered, but I may ask my doctor some time

I know i shouldn't have done this, but i took the packing out a day early, man it friggin hurt big time while taking it out. They looked like mini tampons shoved up my nose. I still feel like crap, but at least i can breathe a bit through my nose now and don't have to have that gross bubbling up of mucus/blood/packing in my nose. My one fear though is that i wasn't supposed to blow my nose at all when the packing was in, but i cracked about 5 times and did it anyways while i was trying to sleep the first two nights. I did it as lightly as possible, hopefully it didn't damage anything from the surgery.

I'm dreading having the splints taken out next week, how bad is it?

I had it done when I was in high school. I caught an elbow in the face playing basketball so just opted for the "all-in-one" readjustment plus septoplasty. I felt miserable for a week, being pretty much homebound. I think I nearly finished an entire season of High Heat baseball in a week.

Many years ago when i liked to hang in bars every night and got into my share of fights, i do remember one time catching a wicked right hook straight to my nose and feeling like my life was ending at that very moment. I do wonder now if i broke my nose that night, but just never realized it.

Archived