Brewer Fanatic

Bad vibes in the clubhouse?

AJAY

I don't know about anybody else, but I'm quick to dismiss Justice's report because he runs with the PTI and Around the Horn crew, which makes it extraordinarily difficult to distinguish him from a sock puppet.

Maybe I'm being too hard on him, though. According to his wikipedia page, he not only starred in the original Godzilla film, he also won the best male performer AVN award in 2003. Talk about a renaissance man!

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So when a reporter from another city mentions the same thing, all of a sudden everyone circles the wagon's?

My problem wasn't so much whether it was true or not as how he obviously didn't put too much effort into the piece. When someone in his position does that it gets some amount of legitimacy that I don't believe it deserved. As a Houston writer he couldn't have possibly seen enough of the Brewers interactions to get a legitimate read on what the clubhouse is really like. Add into it the fact that there are so many other tangible reasons to make the same point and it's pretty clear he didn't put a lot of thought into it. That's fine for fans since nobody really puts much credence into what they say. For a reporter to do that is not all that professional and does make me question him overall. After all he put his name and on it and he is paid to be better than Joe fan isn't he?

This assumes that Justice doesn't speak to Brewer insiders...I would imagine he does and I imagine it informed his report...

And TooLive, if you can't keep an open mind when someone says something instead of drinking the koolaid, that's ok, that's the way you choose to look at things.

Drinking the kool-aid? I just don't like drinking whatever it is that Justice drinks. Keeping an open mind would be not just accepting being spoon-fed by an attention-hound like RJ.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

This assumes that Justice doesn't speak to Brewer insiders...I would imagine he does and I imagine it informed his report...

point taken. It still doesn't explain the relationship between good clubhouses and winning or him missing the other, more concrete points, that would have gone further toward the point he was making than the one he did use though. If he didn't do enough research to make those points then I think it fairly safe to assume he didn't do much more work in determining the real clubhouse atmosphere. But tha tis just my own assmuption.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

...But tha tis just my own assmuption.

Great, now you've maken an assm out of u and ption!

And TooLive, if you can't keep an open mind when someone says something instead of drinking the koolaid, that's ok, that's the way you choose to look at things.

Drinking the kool-aid? I just don't like drinking whatever it is that Justice drinks. Keeping an open mind would be not just accepting being spoon-fed by an attention-hound like RJ.

An attention hound? I guess everything Haudricourt now says is invalid too because he's on the radio twice a day. What an attention hound!!!! Drew Olsen? Idiot. He left his reporter's gig to work for a website and a radio station. He just wants the attention!!!

You have proven you can't keep an open mind with your moron and blowhard comments above and the fact you immediately dismiss it because no one on this board reported it first.

Excellent Stars Wars ref Stein, you continue to drop nuggets of enjoyable reading.

The point has been made many times over that no beat write would ever report a story like this as he'd be frozen out by the organization. It literally takes someone with a little national clout to be able to get away with a report like that, it's just the way it is.

Is it credible journalism? Like I said I'm not sure... I'm not going to totally dismiss it as such, but as I said before I'm not sure how to measure the effect a bad atmosphere has on a team. Especially when most of the key players were struggling are starting to ascend back up to respectability (yes there are exceptions). In some cases I would argue that "underperforming" players are actually playing more to their current talent level, and I don't really care what projection system had them doing what, but that's another topic entirely.

You have proven you can't keep an open mind with your moron and blowhard comments above....

Ok... coming from the same person that posted 5 times in a row, and 10 out of the last 26 posts? It's one thing to be opinionated, it's another to lash out and force your opinion's down everyone's throat. You might be right, but does it really matter if anyone agrees with you? I don't see right and wrong here... I see differences of opinion.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

You have proven you can't keep an open mind with your moron and blowhard comments above and the fact you immediately dismiss it because no one on this board reported it first.

Silliness. I find it confusing that you jump into the conversation on p.6 & start telling me what I'm thinking & saying... yet not getting any of it right. It's pretty clear that you haven't taken the time to read the entire discussion, so I'm going to take the time to stop reading your posts in it.

Better Brewer resource? Yes, as far as fans' opinions go, but tell me what breaking Brewers news has ever come out of here? Tell me any insider information that has ever been reported here?
Rickie's callup, Prince's callup, and a fair number of other call-ups... I do recall scooping some of the other outlet on a few trades as well (acquisition of Ginter is one I can think of off the top of my head). Although this is definitely a fan-driven site, we have very good relationships with the minor league clubs, and family members of players who frequently pass information along to us.

I don't claim that we scoop the other outlets more often than not, but to say that we don't pass along insider information is far from correct.

You have proven you can't keep an open mind with your moron and blowhard comments above

Personal attacks and name-calling towards other posters are not allowed at Brewerfan.

I think he was referring to my usage of the words "moron" & "blowhard", fwiw

I was. I wasn't calling you a moron or a blowhard.

Brian the Automator rules with an ironfist, but he doesn't read the whole thread.

Are you actually trying to earn that strike now? Considering that none of the staff earn a single cent for their efforts on this site, your criticism seems a little pompous and ungrateful.

THEbrewguru wrote:

There have been a couple threads and many comments on this board and others (WITH NO ACCESS TO THE PLAYERS) about Prince's attitude this year because of one line he said in spring training about his contract.

So when a reporter from another city mentions the same thing, all of a sudden everyone circles the wagon's?

It's one thing to say that a certain player (or two if you count Bill Hall) have a bad attitude or chemistry. It's quite another to say that the entire team has bad chemistry. (and, doesn't good chemistry usually result in explosions in the scientific world?)

I knew what you meant, I'm not a moderator, and I stand by my comments though I could have been more clear in retrospect. I was referring to the general shots you took at the site and what other people had posted, which is why I listed the number of posts in a short window, I didn't see an objective discussion, more a force feeding of an opinion.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I was. I wasn't calling you a moron or a blowhard.

Brian the Automator rules with an ironfist, but he doesn't read the whole thread.

I PM'd you and took back the strike ... but if you feel that you can sit and taunt the moderators and get all hotheaded with other users, then you've got the wrong message board.

Found this in the JS this morning.

Q: Justin of New York - Richard Justice of SportingNews.com wrote on June 12 about the Brewers: "Take a walk through their clubhouse after a game. There are so many bad vibes in that place it might explode." But on FSN broadcasts the players appear as though they are getting along well. What is your take on the state of the clubhouse atmosphere?

A: Brewers Mailbag - If Richard Justice went in the clubhouse after Oswalt mowed down the Brewers, I would imagine it's very quiet. I don't get "bad" vibes in the clubhouse after game. Actually, I often get no vibes because the players habitually hide from us as long as they can.

Perhaps we've been off base with two of our assumptions. One is that if Tom said anything bad about the Brewers he'd be shut out. It appears he already is as much as allowed. So I wouldn't expect that to factor into his decisions about what to write.

Second is if the regular beat writers aren't allowed into the inner circle of player interactions I don't see how an outsider from another team gets to see such. Perhaps he got it from a source close to the team but honestly it sounds more like he's just taking the things we all hear and read and extrapolating what he wants from that.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Rickie's callup, Prince's callup, and a fair number of other call-ups...

Don't forget the Yohannis Perez signing. Jim tipped off Baseball America.

Didn't some of the Ulice Payne information appear on this site first?

It sure did, thanks to a member who's proven trustworthy. The bad vibes surrounding Ulice were brought to light here months before the public eruption. And while it was termed something like a "big announcement after the first of the year" rather than a sale, this member also reported the that the club would be sold well before the fact.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

If he had some insider source, wouldn't he claim to have one in the article? Instead he bases his conclusions off of "tak(ing) a walk through the clubhouse". Even Tom implies that it would be tough for Justice to know the true "vibes" in the clubhouse.

Archived