Brewer Fanatic

Bad vibes in the clubhouse?

AJAY
  • Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
FWIW, Richard Justice is a very respected sportswriter.

The fellas over at "Fire Joe Morgan" have done quite a bit of work on Mr. Justice. Not saying he's necessarily wrong about the Brewers, but based on this small sample articles, I can't really take his claims seriously.

good point. i think we're lucky to have resources like FJM to go to these days. i would trust them more than a number of "respected journalists" these days. whoever said he is ripe for TV hit the nail on the head. he would fit in well at FOX news, actually. even if he is considered a "respected journalist," those guys know how to stir the pot, too. if the team i covered needed a boost (kick in the arse) i would try to rile things up on one of the teams ahead of me, as well.

whether the crew respects/likes yost or not i have a strong feeling they have one of the better clubhouse atmospheres in the league. sometimes you can just tell.

Here's a sampling of what makes Justice so gosh darn well respected:

http://www.firejoemorgan.com/search/label/richard%20justice

ha! he even referenced FOX News (which i mentioned in my earlier post... that he would be perfect on it) meaning to make fun of it... some are so blind.

thanks for the link. i wonder what his thoughts were during the clemen's ordeal. i seem to remember him actually having something logical to say. so he seems really hot and really cold. really, really cold.

Wow, as clueless as a writer can be, going on and on how good Adam Everett and Brad Ausmus are, are great guys, and that HOU needs more of them.

Apparently, he's unaware the Astros play in a bandbox, and need all 8 spots filled by guys that can hit. If they had a team of Brad and Adams, they'd lose 5-2 or 9-3 every night.

I'm glad he doesn't like the Brewers chances. He's probably still picking the Mariners and Royals to surprise.

I got in a little bit of a thing with Justice on his blog last year when he wrote an article talking about how Milwaukee's young guys choked away the season is September. I pointed out that, on the contrary, Braun, Prince, Rickie, Corey, Gallardo, and Villanueva all played like MVPs/Cy Youngs down the stretch and that it was generally the vets who didn't carry their weight. To his credit, he admitted he should have looked a little deeper. However, I feel he is the kind of writer that just goes for any cliche/easy answer he can get his hands on without regard to whether or not there is a basis for whatever he is saying. A young team missed the playoffs? They obviously missed it because they were too young and couldn't handle the pressure. A team isn't living up to expectations (not that he personally had any, apparently)? Must be poor chemistry.

Bad journalist or not, Justice has something that we do not and that is a press pass and access to players. If he claims that there is some bad chemistry I have a hard time dismissing his claim completely just because he is a bad writer with an ego. All I have to assess player chemistry is occasional camera glimpses in the dugout during the game.

I'd guess that I would wait until someone who actually covers the Brewers on a regular basis says that their is "bad vibes" in the locker room before worrying about it.

Unlike Justice, there is nothing to be gained for TH, AW or AM to report about "bad vibes" or chemistry issues in the clubhouse. For one thing there is no way to prove it so it comes off as hearsay and secondly it would only tick off the players and they might start giving the cold shoulder to said writers and restricting access to them.

Wow, as clueless as a writer can be, going on and on how good Adam Everett and Brad Ausmus are, are great guys, and that HOU needs more of them.

Apparently, he's unaware the Astros play in a bandbox, and need all 8 spots filled by guys that can hit. If they had a team of Brad and Adams, they'd lose 5-2 or 9-3 every night.

I'm glad he doesn't like the Brewers chances. He's probably still picking the Mariners and Royals to surprise.

Yeah, it's not like they went to the World Series in 2005 with Brad Ausmus and Adam Everett playing in that bandbox.

Which is harder to believe based on what we've actually seen as fans?

A) A disgruntled team that worries too much about playing time, contracts, personality clashes, cliques, a lack of leadership that leads to underacheiving, fingerpointing, backbiting etc. who gets called out in a very small way by a national writer who is misinformed, who doesn't talk with colleagues around the country, and bases everything on hearsay and innuendo and small sample sizes. Or...

B) A team that is closely knit, informed with professionalism and personal support. A team that has struggled, but those same struggles have brought them closer together with an "Us vs. Them" mentality, being accused of something that amounts to shoddy journalism because readers in Houston care very much how the Milwaukee Brewers' lockerroom will affect their own beloved Astros.

For my money? I'd choose B.

Yeah, it's not like they went to the World Series in 2005 with Brad Ausmus and Adam Everett playing in that bandbox.

I think Roger Clemens, Any Pettite, and Roy Oswalt had a little more to with Houston getting to the WS that year than Brad Ausmus or Adam Everett, they were just along for the ride.

Of course things could have changed during the season, but this article from December implies the exact opposite with regard to the clubhouse atmosphere in Milwaukee:

Houston also had interest in Gagne, but Boras apparently preferred to steer his client toward Milwaukee, which fell just two games short of winning the National League Central crown last season. Brewers first baseman Prince Fielder is represented by Boras and has told him how much he enjoys playing for the Brewers, and how close the players are in the clubhouse.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=694614

Yeah Ausmus and Everett might not have hurt the team, in that considering their defense and offense together made them league average (or thereabouts) players but that starting rotation was fantastic.

That's like saying Robert Horry is one of the best players in the NBA.

So some reporter, respected or not, is around our team for a few hours over three days, and comes to the conclusion that "there are so many bad vibes in that place it might explode".

Yeah, right.

Like him or not, I'm sure Tom Haudricourt would have reported something or said something in his daily interview in Homer's show on am540. All I've ever heard TH say is the players like Ned.

When was this guy supposedly in the clubhouse anyway? If it was after the game on Tuesday, I would expect the team to be pissed, I would be worried if they weren't. At that point they were 1-3 on the road trip and had just gotten crushed that night. If they were all joking around and pretending nothing was wrong like they were leading the division by 10 games, again, I would be worried.

I put no stock in his comments at all.

Archived