Brewer Fanatic

What about Corey Hart?

I read somewhere this week (TH blog maybe) that he was offered one after Braun was extended but that he turned it down.
Anyone have a link for this?

I know early this year Corey made several public comments about wanting "security" now that he is a family man with more responsibilities.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's clear to see that Hart isn't the hitter that Prince is (or has as high a ceiling).

I would disagree with this. I don't know if it's "clear" IMO. Are you saying that Prince has a higher ceiling? I do not think that is the case at all. Hart IMO has the higher ceiling and obviously provides better defense than Prince does and probably won't have to worry about any potential weight issues. I also am not saying that Hart should get a Braun deal, but something with less money and less years might be possible.

Considering Fielder has already hit 50 home runs in a season, it's hard to argue that Hart has a higher ceiling as a hitter. But, I think Hart is a very valuable part of the puzzle that provided consistent hitting, solid defense, good speed, and great character. I'd imagine he's on our starting outfield for the next 7-8 years.

the "good character" part of this excites me most, as it seems we have a number of those on the team. wouldn't it be nice if a bunch of humble, out of the spotlight guys on a small market team won the series?

when is the last time that happened?

I would love it the Brewers locked up Hart, I've been on his bandwagon forever, and he's one of my favorite Brewers. I understand all the reasons why he wouldn't sign, but I still hope it happens.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I'm fairly confident that it's only a matter of when, not if the Brewers get him locked up long term. The only thing i wonder about is i think the Brewers got a real bargain with Braun's contract and what if Hart's agent asked for more money than Braun got?

why don't braun, sheets, hart & fielder all sign identical contracts. set an example for the rest of the league.

Kiki - there are too many factors for why this won't happen

1) agents' rakes for percentage of the contracts they take differ

2) positional values, for instance pitching, differs greatly

3) number of arby years and free agency years bought out

4) worthiness of anyone but Fielder/Hart/Sheets to get anything close to a Braun contract at this time

5) i am sure i am missing more, maybe even some obvious ones

In theory, it'd be a great idea though and I am sure the Braun contract will be a barometer for Doug and Co. dishing out contract offers for the other young studs in the future.

I think Hart will never match the best year Fielder will ever put up, but will have a longer more productive career, so in my opinion Fielder has a higher celing, but Hart will have the better overall career.

Weeks and Hart are at the top of the list that I most want to see locked up for a few free agent years.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

1) agents' rakes for percentage of the contracts they take differ

2) positional values, for instance pitching, differs greatly

3) number of arby years and free agency years bought out

4) worthiness of anyone but Fielder/Hart/Sheets to get anything close to a Braun contract at this time

5) i am sure i am missing more, maybe even some obvious ones

And then there are players who actually have some financial smarts. Braun blows out his knee tomorrow and say his career is done...he's set for life. Hart or Fielder do the same thing and it's different scenario. I personally think it was Braun telling his agent he wanted a deal and not his agent suggesting it. Like Braun said there's not much you can't buy with $45 million. I personally think the Hart deal gets done and some projections here are a tad bit high at this point. I'd get the deal done ASAP if I'm the Brewers because I think he might have a year that raises the bar quite a bit. Hart is a family man and the security for his kids and all might be too much to resist. Can we all agree that Prince is gone sooner than later? I for one am tiring over the "he's under the Brewers control". That is true, but that control isn't going to be cheap. Paying Prince $10 million a year after arby doesn't make me feel better about it. I feel Hart will be signed and Fielder will be moved before the 2009 season.

Regarding Hart's long term contract. It was said after Braun signed his deal that they would like to lock up more young players (Hart included) but no deal with any other young player was close. Weren't these deals first proposed in spring to Braun and Fielder. I would wait a little longer if it took that long to negotiate a deal.

Kiki - there are too many factors for why this won't happen
You do know that blue means sarcasm right?

he didn't but it was kind of cool to hear the logic behind it never happening!

and he called me Kiki. at first i felt a little slighted but then i realized if i were actually Kiki the Celts would have called my mobile phone device at halftime in need of my skills.http://images.yuku.com/image/jpeg/cef35656958c83062f9bd93bacff1913083a514.jpg

I also agree that Hart should be the next to get offered a nice long-term deal (with Gallardo to follow if he comes back and has a heathly first half of 09). I'd think a deal for Hart would be a win-win - the Brewers lock up a great player (and person) and Hart gets some security for his family which I'm sure is very important to him. But I'm sure with each HR he hits and with each great game, the price goes up and the chances he'd rather just wait until arbitration also increase. I'd say if it's not done within a month, it's probably not getting done anytime soon.

I think the Brewers should wait until they know exactly what Corey is going to be, both offensively and defensively. There's a big difference between a right fielder who hits 280/330/475 with 20 steals and a CF who hits 325/400/550 with 30-40 steals. I've heard comparisons to Grady Sizemore offensively, and I can't think of a centerfielder who has been as tall and fast as him... I would endorse any deal he is signed to within reason, but letting him hit arbitration isn't going to cripple our organization, especially in his first year.

I think the Brewers should wait until they know exactly what Corey is going to be, both offensively and defensively.

Wait for what exactly? Last year he had around a .900 OPS with 24 home runs and 23 steals when he was platooned with Mench and Gwynn for the first month or two. This year he's on pace for an .851 OPS 25 home runs and 25 steals. We pretty much know what he is right now. Pretty much a .300/.350/.525 player. Plus, we already know he's open to a long term deal. Why wouldn't you want that kind of production from a right fielder? It's just icing on the cake if he can play a good center field.

But would you pay him the going rate for that line from a centerfielder? It was the argument that got Hall's contract in line with Jose Reyes'. Would anyone now argue that Hall and Reyes are in the same stratosphere for contract expectations? Defensive position definitely matters in contract negotiations, and Corey has every right to assume the Brewers may move him to centerfield to accomodate LaPorta in the next year or two. And also, he could definitely raise his ceiling still, putting up a comparable stat line to Matt Holliday, with 15-20 more steals.

But would you pay him the going rate for that line from a centerfielder?

What is the going rate? He's not going to be a free agent so it's not like he'll be getting a Beltran like contract. If he'll accept something like 5 years (starting next year) $48 million then yes, I would give him that contract.

But would you pay him the going rate for that line from a centerfielder? It was the argument that got Hall's contract in line with Jose Reyes'. Would anyone now argue that Hall and Reyes are in the same stratosphere for contract expectations? Defensive position definitely matters in contract negotiations, and Corey has every right to assume the Brewers may move him to centerfield to accomodate LaPorta in the next year or two. And also, he could definitely raise his ceiling still, putting up a comparable stat line to Matt Holliday, with 15-20 more steals.
If you're arguing based on position, wouldn't it be better to sign him now, when he's just above league-average (for a RF), rather than way above league-average (for a CF).

I think for Corey it'd be great to compare against center fielders, but for the Brewers it'd be better to compare against right fielders.

IluvDaBush has a point. Hart clearly is the guy who's going to have to move to CF to make room for LaPorta. He may not really want to make that move or the Brewers may want to see him out there before committing multiple years to him. If I had to guess, ultimately I think one of those two ends up at 1B.

Really though it comes down to Hart figuring he could make more in year to year arby, and FA and he's willing to take that risk.

What do you do about a long term line-up that is 100% RH? If Fielder leaves as many believe, you are left with Braun, Hart, LaPorta, Gamel, Weeks, Hardy, etc. Salome too, right? Even if you end up replacing Weeks or Hardy, you still have the middle, run producing, portion of the line-up entirely RH. I don't have the answer, but I think that's a big issue that nobody is reallt talking about.

What do you do about a long term line-up that is 100% RH? If Fielder leaves as many believe, you are left with Braun, Hart, LaPorta, Gamel, Weeks, Hardy, etc. Salome too, right? Even if you end up replacing Weeks or Hardy, you still have the middle, run producing, portion of the line-up entirely RH. I don't have the answer, but I think that's a big issue that nobody is reallt talking about.

Gamel is left handed.

1) I think you have to pay Hart before he moves to centerfield to keep the cost down a bit.

2) Tall people lose their speed faster than regular people, really? Why? (no sarcasm intended, really want to know).

3) While Prince has a much higher ceiling, he's got a much lower basement.

4) The money they give Hart can't be so much as to make him untradeable. It's been pointed out that we have far too many right-handed batters, and I think that's a real concern, especially if this team eventually becomes a consistent playoff bound team.

5) The money they give Hart or any everyday player can't stop them from signing proven pitchers.

6) If you can't sign at least one more young player this season, I think something's wrong for sure. And that the Crew is going to go back and be a seller in the near future like the good old days.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Oddly enough, both LaPorta and Salome hit righties better than lefties......well, so far this year anyway - small sample.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Gamel is left handed.

My bad...I knew that! You know, I would love to sign Hart (and Fielder for that matter) long term. But in my opinion, the priority should be Sheets, Gallardo, Parra, and Villy. We know what it costs to get front of the rotation pitchers in FA, and the Brewers just can't compete for those guys. Without them, doesn't really matter if Hart is here or not.

Archived