Brewer Fanatic

More MJS complaining

endaround
I don't know if you want to move this or not but I couldn't believe that in no place in the MJS did they mention Ausmus and Cooper being ejected. I could see maybe dropping it from the main story for space reasons but to not even have it in their game notes?

eh, I don't see the big deal in this case. Having a manager and horrible player be ejected from the game is not really that noteworthy, especially when it didn't affect the game. If Berkman or Tejada had been ejected or it was a big scene like when Molina laid down his gear at the plate, I would agree.

I'm more surprised that ejections aren't listed in box scores.

Also, we're judging people based on their mug shots now? Seems petty, but whatever.

I have a bigger problem with this post about attendance.

Brewers on pace for record attendance

Through 29 games of its home schedule, the Brewers have drawn an average of 33,594 fans per game. Attendance to date is 974,231. . . The franchise attendance record was set last year, when 2,869,144 fans flocked to Miller Park.

33,594 per game comes out to 2,721,114 for the year, well short of a record. Given the schedule and the fact that kids are now out of school, there's no doubt that there is decent chance of record attendance, but to say the club is "on pace for record attendance" is not a factual statement.

I have a bigger problem with this post about attendance.

Brewers on pace for record attendance

Through 29 games of its home schedule, the Brewers have drawn an average of 33,594 fans per game. Attendance to date is 974,231. . . The franchise attendance record was set last year, when 2,869,144 fans flocked to Miller Park.

33,594 per game comes out to 2,721,114 for the year, well short of a record. Given the schedule and the fact that kids are now out of school, there's no doubt that there is decent chance of record attendance, but to say the club is "on pace for record attendance" is not a factual statement.

It's very factual. Your math is just too pigeon-holed. On pace over last year's pace and that is without any Cubs home games.

How were Ausmus and Cooper ejected and not Berkman? I know watching the game you don't hear what was actually said, but Berkman was throwing a bigger tantrum that my 5-year old son which really shows up the umpire. The play he was arguing wasn't even close. I guess when you hit .380 with 20 homers you get special treatment.

I think it more has to do with the rapport a well-liked guy like Berkman likely has with the umps. One thing I've noticed in watching around the league is how few players actually take time to try & trade some laughs with the umps. I bet the guys that actually care about the umps beyond, 'HEY! YOU MESSED UP THAT CALL!' tend to get what fans could take as preferential treatment.

I thought Campos handled Berkman's reaction well, considering that the play was basically a 50/50 call (looked on replay to be a 'tie goes to the runner' situation -- appeared that the glove hit Cam's hand right as his hand hit 1B), and what came before it. Just my thoughts, certainly not necessarily the 'right' view.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

To be honest, an umpire, he probably gets rung out on the throw down from catcher. Then again on the 2nd throw over. You get caught napping...twice..on principle being that close, you're most likely to get rung.

To be honest, an umpire, he probably gets rung out on the throw down from catcher. Then again on the 2nd throw over. You get caught napping...twice..on principle being that close, you're most likely to get rung.

I've read this like 10 times and I can't tell for certain what you are saying. Are you saying that if there are two pick-off plays that close, an umpire should call the guy out on principle?

I don't think he's saying 'should', just that most umps would have called Cam out on that second pickoff play. I was surprised Cam didn't get called out there, personally... even after seeing the replays.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I believe the equation is:

Almost out + just made it + very close = out.

Other than his strike 3 on Hart today, he's been excellent for both games...but at some point, he'll learn to make that zone bigger, or he'll always be yelled at. Very small strike zone.

When he mentions attendance he is talking strictly from pre order ticket sales, right? I mean, who can predict what walkup will be on a fine July/August evening? Pretty big, methinks.. And thats for non "marquis" series..

I didn't really notice the lack of mention on the ejection thing. However, I was pretty taken aback when I realized the true lack of thought and insight that went into the game story from Tuesday.

Even when the Milwaukee Brewers perform well and make sensible moves, they still have trouble winning on the road...
Not even so much as a mention about all of the questinable decisions that were made during that game - most notably beaning Tejada in front of Berkman, bringing in Tavarez during a 1-run game with a rested bullpen, and the rookie Hernan pinch-hitting in a key spot. Not even a mention. In fact, Witrado found it all to be sensible. I'm no fan of Tom Haudricourt, but he's looking pretty good compared to this clown.

Archived