Brewer Fanatic

Over/Under on complaints about MMP in the IGT

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I thought part of the odd dimensions were a result of the roof.

Whereas Miller Park has the very expensive roof that folds back to the first base line and third base line, Minute Made has a roof that only moves in one direction as a whole unit. Hence, they needed a more square/rectangular share to make the roof feasible and affordable.

But then why do Safeco and Chase Field have normal dimensions......I may be wrong but don't they have the same kind of roof that MMP has?

Safeco's roof, I believe, has a roof similar in style to Minute Maid's in that it moves in one piece (Northwest folks, please chime in and correct me if I'm wrong). Chase Field's splits down the middle, like Miller Park's, and folds up on top of each other. The only difference is that it doesn't pivot on a semi-circular track like MP does but rather straight along a line.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Safeco:

http://blog.aia.org/mt-static/plugins/Ajaxify/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/imagemanager/images/favorite_architecture_images/ut0002605.jpg

Chase:

http://www.springtrainingtours.com/images/chasefield.jpg

http://images.art.com/images/products/regular/10098000/10098379.jpg
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Enron Park is one of my least favorite in the bigs. I'd compare it in architectural finesse to Cowboy Stadium. The few restaurants and businesses around are typical of Texas, cheaply-made, steel-and-glass and without character. I actually found the "ghetto" area, as one person put it, to at least have some character, and some decent barbecue. But the biggest sin, unpardonable in my book, is the prohibition on tailgating. That is something that no self-respecting Brewers fan can abide.

First off, it's not Enron Park anymore. I suppose that a jab at Texas too. Well, Enron, bad a company as it was, has done less harm to society than Miller Beer. Secondly, what's with this "few restaurants and businesses around are typical of Texas, cheaply-made, steel-and-glass and without character." Really. is it necessary to be so condescending. A lot of folks down here think Milwaukee beer is cheaply made and without character.

I admit I flew off the handle a couple of times. Then I tried to delete the post. Yes, it was classless, but the comment I was responding to struck me as cheap shots.

If by "Milwaukee beer", you mean Miller products, I don't think there's much argument that they're anything more than swill/cheap beer.

If you want to over-generalize & include all the great brews from Milwaukee, then I disagree.

First off, it's not Enron Park anymore. I suppose that a jab at Texas too. Well, Enron, bad a company as it was, has done less harm to society than Miller Beer.

That's debatable.

Anyway, I personally like the variety of ballparks in MLB. It's better than the 1970s era when every new ballpark was basically the same, and lacking in much character at all.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Im an Astros fan as well, and hearing the prolonged negativity of the park gets old. The hill hardly ever comes into to play, and the flag pole even less (sans Sexson). Oddly enough, I played a little college ball (D-III) and we once had a tournament out in L.A. We played at 4 different fields, and all but Occidental had hills in LEFT field, which happened to be my very position. Before the game I would get acquainted with them, but I never once felt my health was in jeopardy because of it. Of course I only had to actually climb it 2 or 3 times during a game.

I understand the Crawford box complaint, I just wish they would jettison deeper quicker if that makes sense. Overall it is a nice park however, not exactly the circus some make it out to be. The way I usually tend to look at it, if a ball flies to the back or above the Crawfords, it would be a home run at most parks, except maybe the far right corner, those are the ones I hate the worst.

It is also the place where Kendall home run droughts go to die. He hit one last year, maybe the year before, that broke a year plus long drought. He loves this place.

I still love that he stared down the ball he hit that barely missed being a HR. Kendall, the penultimate 'doesn't watch his HR' type of ballplayer... of course the one time he posed, the baseball gods punished him.

I understand the Crawford box complaint, I just wish they would jettison deeper quicker if that makes sense. Overall it is a nice park however, not exactly the circus some make it out to be.

Yeah, I get you & agree on that. The RF corner is god-awfully short, too. I think most baseball fans in general would share those two gripes with you.

I agree, the right field gap, before the bullpen, should be deeper. Maybe the wall should be a little taller as well.

On a side note, with all of the oil and gas companies around Houston, I was hoping that when Enron tanked they would just replace the "n" and "r" with a couple of X's. Of course Exxon is a little conservative for that, however I do remember Conoco making a pitch.

We do get to fill the train with those Texas-sized oranges now, so I guess it all worked out.

Could you please help me understand the word y'all so that I may better understand the post and respond accordingly?

Well, I don't know about us'all, but I'all am not a fan of messing around with the dimensions of a ballpark. The attraction should be on the field, not the field itself.

And as for Richie Sexson, he'all ain't too happy with it, particularly that pole. But that mark is still there on the pole.

Well, Enron, bad a company as it was, has done less harm to society than Miller Beer... A lot of folks down here think Milwaukee beer is cheaply made and without character.
I understand how some of the comments here have been brutal, but as for Enron doing less harm on society than Miller Beer... tell that to the thousands of people who lost their entire retirement savings, and thousands of additional investors that lost a ton of money and confidence. The only group to benefit from Enron was the accounting industry (SOX boom). Now unfortunately all those people can afford is the High Life, gross.

And, Budweiser and Coors are really not that much different. Mass produced domestic/imported beers are all the same... crappy. Heineken is gross, but they make you feel like its not with their marketing. At least Miller doesn't substitute the barley for rice (Bud).

Lastly, thanks to MMP for turning the Brewers into fence swinging morons again. I do appreciate it.

Let's try to stay apolitical here.

As far as dimensions, I guess I don't care a whole lot. I think variations from park to park are part of the coolness of baseball.

If one doesn't like short dimensions in a particular park, complaints should be directed toward Major League Baseball. There are rules setting minimum dimensions; exceptions have to be specifically approved.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Archived