Brewer Fanatic

Tornado hit boy scout camp in Iowa. Amazing story!

craigharmann

Just watching the Today show and they were interviewing a couple of scouts who were in the middle of this tornado. There were many injuries, but many of the scouts stepped into action with first aid and helping take care of the injured. One of them, a 13 year old, said that if a tornado was to hit anywhere, it was good that it hit a scout camp, because they knew what to do, they had first aid training. Amazing to see the bravery and heroism of these young men, and the adults who model that leadership for them. I know scouting has taken some hits over the past few years, but it is a great thing and this shows one of the reasons why.

Scout camp story

Well, obviously. That's a tragedy, but when I was watching the interview, I was impressed by the composure and the lack of fear in these kids. Any loss of life is a tragedy and my heart breaks for those families and my prayers go out for them, but I'm very impressed and happy to see young men be men and take charge in a time of emergency.

As mentioned in the other weather thread, this is real close to my heart having been involved for a long time. Ironically, the tornado that hit the south side of Wausau (Rib Mtn) in 1984 was my neighborhood and the clean up & rebuilding became my Eagle Scout project. I'm sure the combination of those experiences in first aid training, encouragement to help others, and leadership skills gained in the Boy Scout program was a big reason I found chose to become a volunteer EMT & firefighter. I don't doubt that many of those affected will come out stronger in the long run, but for the time being, my sympathies and condolences go to the families and friends of those that lost young loved ones in this tragedy.

Archived