Brewer Fanatic

Status of Hardy's shoulder?

nate82

Yes.

Escobar should get a shot, split time with Counsell at short. Our defense is good there and we take what we can offensively from both.

Hall gets most of the starts at second with the Hurricane spotting him, ideally against tougher righties.

Branyan/Dillon platoon at 3rd

I don't know if this has been asked elsewhere

If JJ can't even PH over Rivera, or for that matter Bush, shouldn't he be on the DL?

It depends on how long he is out. If he's only out for a few games, no, not really, because than you have 10 or so games where you could have had Hardy rather than Escobar. Would you rather weaken your roster for a few games or 10?

I was basing my question more on Yost saying he would be available to pinch hit

If he was as available as said, I figured you would have seen him in yesterday's game

I think he didn't use him specifically because they are not sure of Hardy's status. They don't want to put him in a game, because if they do they have to restart the time on when he could be taken off the DL if he had to go on it.

Yes.

Escobar should get a shot, split time with Counsell at short. Our defense is good there and we take what we can offensively from both.

Hall gets most of the starts at second with the Hurricane spotting him, ideally against tougher righties.

Branyan/Dillon platoon at 3rd

Totally agree with this. Exactly what I was thinking. If Hardy has to go on the DL why not give Escobar a cup of coffee this season to just split time with Counsell and see what he can do at the big league level. I also like the idea of Branyan/Dillon at 3B and Hall mostly playing 2B with Hernan only playing once in awhile and being a lefty PH off the bench.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I just don't want Hall to log any significant time on the field. I think it's becoming more obvious by the day he doesn't want to be here. Defense is horrible as of late, and doesn't seem to have a clue at the plate.

Also, I thought it was funny today how a team seemingly short on left handed bats, started an entire infield of southpaws.

edited for second line.

I know that, I wasn't saying it's fixed, I just thought it was kind of ironic it was a topic of conversation recently and here they fielded four today. Sorry if I implied that would work every day. I should have removed the word seemingly.

I know that, I wasn't saying it's fixed, I just thought it was kind of ironic it was a topic of conversation recently and here they fielded four today. Sorry if I implied that would work every day. I should have removed the word seemingly.
Oh ok. I see. Yeah in that case, I totally agree in the irony. Although the addition of Branyan does help our lefty bat situation. Replacing Branyan with Gross and a Lefty power bat off the bench has been a huge upgrade.

I believe I heard on WSSP 1250 AM that Yost says Hardy will be back in the lineup on Tuesday. Did anyone else hear this?

Just listened to their update. He said "Hardy is expected to return to the lineup tomorrow night."

Based on what? His experience? He has roughly 1,900 professional AB's. Weeks has roughly 2,100. Braun has around 1,500. His age? Jose Reyes was barely 20 when he first came up. That he's never played above AA? Well neither did Hanley Ramirez, whose AA numbers at age 21 were pedestrian compared to Escobar's.

What do these other guys have to do with Escobar? He's a different player. He's not MLB-ready, or he'd have been called up ahead of Iribarren. I don't know why his most recent 270 AB are supposed to be trusted moreso than his previous work... oh wait, yes I do -- it's happened more recently, therefore, it is his talent level. Nevermind the fact that Escobar has basically the same BA-reliant OBP as he always has, and would not be able to hit the .325+ he'd need to keep his OBP at or over .350 at MLB. Also, we could overlook the .373 BABIP for Alcides, but that doesn't seem very wise to me.

Escobar's defense is great, but it doesn't mean he's MLB-ready because he's hit .333 against AA pitching (with an obscene BABIP). Heck, Ramirez is a perfect example of that. His last season in the minors, the aforementioned AA-stint, he put up .271/.335/.385/.720. The next season his MLB line was .292/.353/.480/.833. Maybe just maybe the scouting can tell us some things the numbers don't.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived