Brewer Fanatic

Status of Hardy's shoulder?

nate82

Anyone got any more information on Hardy? Looks like he was grabbing his left shoulder after a play in the bottom of the 5th.

(Note: as it makes sense to have this discussion here, the thread title has been changed to be more general than just addressing one game --1992)

I think he has been nursing a bad left shoulder since spring training.

I thought I saw Hardy winch in pain and grab his left shoulder after hitting a HR in a spring training game. Then in the season opener against Chicago he stood in the batter's box and was holding his bat in his right hand and swinging his left arm in circles like his shoulder was bothering him. I was hoping it was my imagination.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

From the Brewers Mail Bag by Adam McCalvy

Does Hardy have a health issue where he can't play a day game after a night game? I guess I just don't understand why Yost sits him as often as he does. He is our best defensive player (certainly best defensive shortstop) and yet he seems to get 1-2 days off per week. I understand getting Counsell at-bats but not at the expense of playing time for Hardy. There has to be more reasoning than that.

-- Scott J., Neenah, Wis.

Hardy is not 100 percent -- I suppose the same goes for 90 percent of the players in the league by this time of year -- but good luck getting him or anyone else with the Brewers to talk about it. Hardy receives lower back treatments nearly every day, and you see him in the clubhouse after games with ice on his non-throwing shoulder, the same one he had surgically repaired in 2004. None of his bumps and bruises prevent him from playing, but it makes sense to the Brewers to rest him once or twice a week to keep him as healthy as possible.

I wouldn't be surprised by a Hardy DL stint, I just have that sinking feeling.

Let the Alcides Escobar era begin perhaps?

That has an extremely small chance of happening - he's just now showing that he can actually hit in the minors. We're paying Counsell to be the backup, he'll play. Even Bill Hall at SS is probably unlikely.

say he goes on the DL.... who comes up... Gamel? They thought about him for a DH spot, so why not now? Like said Counsell will play. Hall will play. So, youre looking for a PH and a guy to play once every other week. Why not give him a shot? I don't know. I guess no other IF "deserves" it. I think its worth a shot to see what he can do. If it fails send him back. Sure it costs a few extra bucks and starts his arby clock early, but if he turns out great its worth it.

say he goes on the DL.... who comes up... Gamel? They thought about him for a DH spot, so why not now? Like said Counsell will play. Hall will play. So, youre looking for a PH and a guy to play once every other week. Why not give him a shot? I don't know. I guess no other IF "deserves" it. I think its worth a shot to see what he can do. If it fails send him back. Sure it costs a few extra bucks and starts his arby clock early, but if he turns out great its worth it.

Gamel wouldn't get enough AB's to justify bringing him up. I would rather have him in AA where he is playing everyday. Same goes with Escobar he belongs in AA right now.

If Hardy goes onto the DL Crabbe probably gets the call up especially if Hardy has to be on the DL for a longer than expected time and if Weeks needs more time or needs some time in the minors to rehab a bit it would make sense to have Crabbe up to be a back up for SS or 2B.

Note that Crabbe isn't on the 40 man roster. While they could open up a spot by moving someone to the 60 day DL, I'm hoping that they instead give Brad Nelson a chance. With B.Hall, Dillon, Iribarren, and Counsell available, I think they could adequately cover 2b and SS for the short term.

I second Brad Nelson. They aren't in desperate need of an infielder. Hall can play short for a couple of innings if need be. But I'm crossing my fingers and saying my prayers that Hardy will just miss a day or 2.

On WTMJ this morning, Melvin said that Hardy won't play today against the Astros, and tomorrow will probably be examined by Dr. Rasch to see if anything regarding a DL stint is in the works.

This always starts with just a tweek, then a day off, then the player is listed as "day to day", then the player flies home for a meeting with the doctor, then the inevitable DL stint begins, and finally instead of 14 days it turns into a month or more.

Great! Counsell gets more playing time!

I can enjoy seeing this line MLB Gameday line more often:

Counsell batting:

In play...out(s)

Counsell grounds out to the first baseman

Melvin didn't sound so sure today. He's going to be examined tomorrow and a DL stint is possible.

"They aren't in desperate need of an infielder"? Say what? If Hardy and Weeks are both on the DL at the same time??

Hall is still platooning with Branyan at 3B remember. Now you could replace Hall in that platoon with Dillon, play Counsell at SS and Hall at 2B but that leaves Iribarren as the only backup middle infielder on days where Dillon or Hall is at 3B and Iribarren has played 90% of the time this year in the OF.

No, you bring up Escobar. What's this nonsense that he's just now showing he can hit? He hit .325 at Brevard last year. He hit .281 in the Pioneer League when he was 17.

He hit .300 as a 19 year old in the Arizona Fall League a couple years ago. He hit well this spring in major league camp. His body is starting to mature, and he's a little more patient, but he could always hit. Besides, he's on the roster.

Now you don't play him everyday, but you do start him 3 or 4 times a week.

Hall is still platooning with Branyan at 3B remember. Now you could replace Hall in that platoon with Dillon, play Counsell at SS and Hall at 2B but that leaves Iribarren as the only backup middle infielder on days where Dillon or Hall is at 3B and Iribarren has played 90% of the time this year in the OF.

So is it against the rules for a player to switch positions in the middle of a game? With both Hardy and Weeks on the DL, you still have 5 guys who can/have played the IF: 3B-Counsell, Hall, Branyon, Dillon. SS-Counsell, Hall(in a pinch) 2B- Counsell, Hall, Dillon, Iribarron. So yes, you have plenty of IF options. Some of those options are not the best options, but they will do. SS is the only position to worry about, but if they had to put Hall there for a couple innings of a game, I'd be perfectly fine with that. If Weeks comes back after his 15 days, like expected, that will only be 8 games. I think they can easily get by with what they have.

What's this nonsense that he's just now showing he can hit? He hit .325 at Brevard last year. He hit .281 in the Pioneer League when he was 17. He hit .300 as a 19 year old in the Arizona Fall League a couple years ago.

I don't know. Sometimes people get all crazy and start looking at things other than just BA to measure offensive worth.

Escobar is having his first, solid year offensively this year in Huntsville. He's showing more patience and power. That said, it's 270 AB in AA and the guy is only 21. I don't see him getting brought up, yet.

"They aren't in desperate need of an infielder"? Say what? If Hardy and Weeks are both on the DL at the same time??

Well if the Brewers really are investigating trades for the MIF, would you want the GM to say, 'Yeah, we've really got a huge hole to fill'?

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Witrado with an update:

http://blogs.jsonline.com/brewers/archive/2008/06/12/hardy-to-be-evaluated.aspx

Not sure what to make of this. On the one hand, Hardy says he could have played today and the article indicates he "passed all his strength tests." On the other hand, no one is quite sure what's wrong, which is always worrisome.

I don't see why Escobar would be better than either Counsell or Hall. He isn't ready for the big leagues yet.

Based on what? His experience? He has roughly 1,900 professional AB's. Weeks has roughly 2,100. Braun has around 1,500. His age? Jose Reyes was barely 20 when he first came up. That he's never played above AA? Well neither did Hanley Ramirez, whose AA numbers at age 21 were pedestrian compared to Escobar's.

Archived