Brewer Fanatic

What would you trade for Erik Bedard?

Rumor has it he is on the trading block. (Since the Mariners are out of it)

He is signed through next year (arbitration eligible) and would give a nice 1/2 punch with Sheets this year and Yovanni next year. He has struggled a little this year - but still maintains a 1.30 WHIP and almost 1K per inning. I would imagine a switch to the NL would help as well.

Matt LaPorta would probably have to start the discussion.

I would not trade any of my top 7 or so, as cheap young talent is vital for a small market team. Bedard has been a huge letdown, but as pointed out, has not been bad by any means.

As long as you're talking about SEA, I might offer them a handful of magic beans.

Sbrylski06, you could sign me up for those two trades. Essentially you are trading Rickie's potential for Brian Roberts and Erik Bedard....that would be both unbelievable and awesome. Hall amounts to little or no use at this point and Gillespie doesn't really fit into any long range plan with this teams as far as I can see. Lucroy seems like a nice young player, but he is an A ball catcher that is 3-4 years away from even a sniff of the big leagues.

Sbrylski06, you could sign me up for those two trades. Essentially you are trading Rickie's potential for Brian Roberts and Erik Bedard....that would be both unbelievable and awesome. Hall amounts to little or no use at this point and Gillespie doesn't really fit into any long range plan with this teams as far as I can see. Lucroy seems like a nice young player, but he is an A ball catcher that is 3-4 years away from even a sniff of the big leagues.

Sure, they make sense for us. Hall's no longer in the major plans, and Rickie is still teetering between above average and bust. Gillespie is a good wood, but at the back of the logjam. And though Lucroy is also tearing the cover off the ball, Salome and Lawrie are at worst sufficient for an organization's catching prospect pool.

Do they make sense to the Orioles and Mariners? I'm guessing they fall a little short, though they aren't too far fetched. This scenario would definitely solidify the Brewers as contenders both this season and next though, without sacrificing much future, and I'd be thrilled.

One of the reasons young talent is important is because it can be traded to get established talent to push teams over the hump. Trading LaPorta to add 1.5 wins this year and three wins next year is a very good use of talent.

One of the reasons young talent is important is because it can be traded to get established talent to push teams over the hump.

This is a great point, and it's something that the Brewers will need to start doing before their organization starts getting rule 5'd to death. Whether it be young MLB players or hot prospects that are blocked by franchise cornerstones, the Brewers need to identify early on how they can get maximum value out of all parts of their organization. Stockpiling prospects that are blocked from playing in the majors is great if you want to win minor league titles, but it really doesn't benefit the major league team. The Brewers have been able to advance their best prospects to the big league level pretty well, but the next wave of players is coming, and tough decisions need to be made in order to field the best MLB team. There have been next to no examples of teams relying heavily on young talent winning championships, and in today's baseball trade market, it's easier to get a quality player in return by trading a young prospect than a proven MLB player.

To this point, the Brewers' organization had been devoid enough in talent to push their best prospects and advance them at a good clip directly to the big league club. They've done a good job of building depth in their organization, and the best way for a small market team to capitalize on that depth is to trade players/prospects to help the big league club while knowing that the cubbard isn't going to be completely empty. I think what's going on in AA Huntsville this season is raising alot of baseball people's eyebrows, and there definitely appears to be a surplus of players that will be playing in the major leagues soon, whether they stay with Milwaukee or get traded.

I'd be awfully tempted to trade LaPorta+ for Bedard.

I wonder if Seattle could get a package centered around Adam Jones, George Sherrill and Chris Tillman for Bedard. That'd be a nice haul.

Don't guys like LaPorta and Gamel have a higher ceiling than Adam Jones? Should they expect to get as much talent back as they gave up for Bedard?

I can see why Seattle would want LaPorta as they will be looking to contend next year I'm sure. Maybe a #5-10 prospect + Villanueva (I'd rather lose CVilly than Parra at this point) + another pitching prospect would get it done.

Edit: I'd love to extend sheets and have a 2009 rotation of:

Sheets

Bedard

Gallardo

Suppan

Parra

with Bush taking over Cvilly's role in the pen. That's pretty sick

You don't have an Adam Wainwright. Easily the best gentlemen in all of sports. You don't have the amount of real good old American men like the Cardinals do. Holliday, Wainwright, Skip, Berkman those 4 guys are incredible people

GhostofQuantrill

Maybe we could pawn off Suppan on them? They have an excellent infield defense that could really help out Jeff plus we would have more money to sign Sheets. I would give them Soup and two higher prospects for Bedard. Our top three would rival anyone next season and I could definately live with Bush and Parra in the backend.

Yeah... I don't really care if he's a jerk to the media. And he's not a total wacko or anything. He's a really good pitcher. If they traded for Bedard and re-signed Sheets, the Brewers would be awesome next season.

Any deal that includes LaPorta or Gamel for a frontline pitcher better be for a pitcher than we can control for at least 2 full years.

To each his own, but I'm not into giving up 6-7 years of a potentially special bat for 3 wins that will matter. Since you don't get credit for half wins in a season, I fail to see how Bedard helps us get in the postseason this season... if in fact that would end up being the true result, so we're really talking about next season. How many win shares would you giving up over those 6 or 7 years in Gamel or LaPorta? Yes the Crew is still in the race, but they are 5 games back in the Wildcard. I'm not throwing in the towel, but if we're trading premium prospects, I want a relatively sure thing. Bedard is essentially replacing Yo this year, which puts us back to "even", but the Crew wasn't a lock before the season to make the postseason. If Sheets goes down for any length of time, we've gained absolutely nothing for giving up quite a bit of talent. I'd be much more receptive to this towards the trading deadline if we're just a couple of games out, I just have a hard time believing that this team is 1 player away from a playoff appearance.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I'd try offering Prince + Hall for Bedard + Clement. The Mariners may be looking for Sexson's replacement and with an offense as bad as theirs, they might be interested in Prince as a cornerstone of their franchise.

Archived