Brewer Fanatic

Looking for a new cell phone...

The Active 33
Any suggestions on where to get a good phone for a decent price? I currently have a Motorola Slvr and really liked it. I also like the Motorola Rizr, but I heard they do not make then anymore. Are there any sites to get discontinued phones cheap or where to get a good deal? Thanks

I just got the Sony W580i and it seems to be a good phone. Its a slider phone and comes with everything that most new phones come with (camera, mp3 player, ...). It also has an fm radio built in which is kinda nice. I have never owned a phone made by sony before so I can't comment on reliability or anything like that since I've only had it for a few weeks. But over all it has worked well and in my opinion is one of the best looking phones right now that you can get for under $100. The retail price is over $200 but if you sign a new contract with ATT it cost $80 and then they also give you a $50 rebate so it ends up being pretty cheap. The one downside is that its not 3G so if you want internet on it you probably would be better off with something else.

You say that you like the phone that you currently have. What features don't you like? What features are you looking for in a new phone that you don't have in your Silver? Are you upgrading your cell phone plan or just the phone?

I am not high-tech. I really only need a reliable phone that can text. I am open to about anything other than cheap plastic that I will have to replace in a few months. I like to own my phones for several years. I am eligible to upgrade as well.

My wife and I both got MOTOROKR's (looks like a Rizr but has a built in MP3 player or something) about two weeks ago. I hate mine. The sound is poor, battery seems to go dead very quickly. The other morning on my way to work it started beeping at me saying that the charge attempt failed even though it wasn't plugged into anything. My wife's won't hold a charge at all. I think when she returns from her business trip we're taking them back.

We both had KRZR's and I loved mine, but my wife's speaker went all fuzzy after about a year and a half. I think I'm going to look at the new RAZR.

The Active 33, which current SLVR text features would you miss if your next phone didn't have them?

For instance...

• Do you use copy/cut/paste?
  • The lock feature?
  • Bulk message cleanup?
  • Do you take advantage of letting the phone auto-complete the word you're trying to key in?
  • Do you simply hit a key multiple times to get the letter you want (Motorola calls this TAP)? Or do prefer to hit a key once and let the phone figure out which word you're typing (Motorola calls this iTAP)?

I ask this because whenever I switch phones, there's been something that the old phone did that I miss on the new one. My new phone, for example, doesn't copy/cut/paste, doesn't lock outbox messages, and auto-completes in the phone book but not in text messages. Also, its dictionary has the memory of a mosquito.

On the other side of the coin, is there anything your SLVR doesn't do that you'd like to see your new phone do? As an example, I was pleasantly surprised when I found out my new phone could store numbers contained in the content of text messages. That's a way cool step-saver.

The only other thing that's important to me is phone book functionality. Mine's passable, but that's it. There's not enough memory. My preference would be to have plenty of memory in both the phone and on the SIM in case only one or the other had to be switched. In other words, I'd love it if both the phone and the SIM had room to store all the numbers I need.

Another thing: who's your provider? A benevolent member may be willing to go to its web site and look at your options. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I currently have AT&T and would like to stay with them. I do not text a whole lot, but when I do, I like the option of a phone giving me the words that go with the keys rather than just the first letter (which I believe you referred to as Tap). Other than that, I am not to demanding on features, although a music player would be nice.

To correct what I said earlier, I have a Motorola L6, which is like the SLVR but without the music capabilities.

I currently have AT&T and would like to stay with them.

New iPhone, $199!

(That's my half-joking font color)

Might not be a bad idea, but the used 1st generations may be even cheaper off of people who are upgrading.

The new iPhone is $200, which is down from the $400 the old one was. However, ATT requires a 2 year service plan (it did with the old one too) and the price of that has gone up $10 per month. That means that the price cut is actually a $40 price increase. Pretty funny when you think about it. Brilliant marketing by Apple and ATT to get the news of their "price cut" so widely reported.

The new iPhone is $200, which is down from the $400 the old one was. However, ATT requires a 2 year service plan (it did with the old one too) and the price of that has gone up $10 per month. That means that the price cut is actually a $40 price increase. Pretty funny when you think about it. Brilliant marketing by Apple and ATT to get the news of their "price cut" so widely reported.

Sure, but there is a reason for the price increase - the 3G functionality.

most carriers have 3G already included in their monthly price, or at least that was my impression. When I got some 3G phones for the first time, my bill didn't go up. ATT is way late with the 3G (a fact which has been rehashed may times) so it may be hard to do a direct comparison across carriers.

Community Moderator
Get a Samsung. The first one I had lasted 2 years with no problems. When we renewed our contract, I got another Samsung that is currently 1 year old, also with no problems. They are also easier to use than Motorola phones.

• 2 months later...

I figured I'd bump this thread instead of creating a new one.

My current phone, a Nokia 6682, has stopped working and it looks like I need to buy a new phone. My contract with ATT is almost up and I'm considering whether I should change providers as well.

I've looked at US Cellular and they are the main provider I may go to. They have a better text messaging plan as ATT charges you for incoming and outgoing texts, while US is just outgoing.

As for the type of phone I'm looking at, I'm thinking about maybe a Blackberry Curve or Pearl, even though I don't want the $30 per month blackberry plan, I just think the phone is cool. Any suggestions for other types of smartphone or provider? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

Archived