Brewer Fanatic

Why can't pitchers throw to first base?

danzig6767

It amazes me how often pitchers make flat out terrible throws to first base after a bunt or infield roller to them. I understand that they don't do it all that much, but these are guys who throw a baseball for a living.

Anyone have a theory as to why so many pitchers look like they've never thrown a baseball before on these plays?

I'm likely of no help, but our slow pitch softball pitcher always underhands it to first now because he has missed so badly on the overhand throw so many times. So he now underhands it on combackers and makes the play to first everytime. It must be something to do with having your arm do the same motion with the ball to the plate so many times that something different like a throw to first, though appearing to be routine, is really quite a challenge.

I've got a similar problem when pitching in softball, but nowhere else on the diamond. For me it feels like some kind of mental fear that the baseman won't have time to react to a ball thrown hard like the rest of the fielders, but from a shorter distance. Hopefully the MLB'ers practice that situation more, but I can't ever remember seeing anyone practice firing the throw to first from that side of the mound during infield practice or warm ups between innings.

When I pitched, there seemed to be two reasons that it felt awkward to make a throw to a base: a) it's not off a mound - you get so used to throwing downhill that throwing off of a flat surface an instant later is very odd, and b) I wasn't using a pitching motion - similar to the previous reason, your body gets so used to throwing in a certain way that having to change it up at the drop of the hat can be tough.

Now, I don't remember ever screwing up a throw as a pitcher (except for a pickoff once), but it still felt awkward much of the time. What I tried to do, provided I didn't have to make a hurried throw, was take a half-second to set my feet, switch my mind from "pitcher" to "baseball player" mode, and make a throw like I was just playing catch before the game.

What's funny is that I was a very good infielder and outfielder, as well, and never had problems making throws from those positions.

This is a good question. I think it's because pitchers usually don't practice throws to first all that much and are more worried about the at-bats which makes sense. I think this thread is probably about McClung's "throw" to first tonight that was ugly. It may be not only the lack of practice, but the routine of throwing a certain distance and speed to a short distance and unknown speed?

Pitchers spend every day throwing from a certain position, arm motion being the same, feet starting and landing in the same spot. It isn't rocket science; they get used to doing that to the point that throwing a baseball any other way is awkward and requires thought.

Where pitchers screw up is when they don't step with their throw. This is the part I don't understand. Since pitching as a freshman in HS my dad would yell, every time I got a comebacker or fielded a bunt, "Step and throw!!". It honestly helped. It's a reminder to use proper form when making the throw. Something as simple as stepping with the toss makes all the difference in the world.

If you watched Tavares when he tried to make that play tonight he did the same thing every pitcher in the world does when he screws up a throw to first. He tossed it flat footed. If he takes a step that ball makes it to Fielder.

Maybe it's something taken for granted at the pro level, but if I was sitting along the first base line I'd be screaming "Step and throw!" simply out of habit.

Also, on a side note, it wasn't uncommon for me to bounce or sky the first few balls when just playing catch in practice or before games, throwing along the chalk in the outfield. I was a left fielder as well and when I warmed up I usually couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with my first couple tosses.

It's weird.

I seem to remember fielding a few bunts in college and throwing them to the right fielder.

I have no idea why it happened, but after it happened once, I started thinking about it every time. I think I was in a hurry and then would short-arm it.

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

I think some problems arise when certain pitchers get in the mind set of "just don't screw up". Some guys know there is a high probability they won't get a positive outcome in a pick off and only a negative can come in the throw.

pitching from the mound and making a throw across the diamond to first base are two totally different throwing motions (at least they should be). Pitching requires a full range of motion in delivering the baseball, and pitchers get used to that delivery moving downhill off the mound to the plate. A pitcher who tries to use that same motion when throwing to a base not only takes longer to get rid of the ball, he's not throwing downhill anymore, and the release point needs to be altered in order to make an accurate throw. that's why you see so many high and low throws to a bag. Not getting feet in proper alignment and stepping toward your target is also a big reason.

as a pitcher, I was always taught to make throws to bases by shortarming the throw, by keeping my throwing hand by my ear and eliminating the full range of motion. you get rid of the ball faster and increase the accuracy of throws. I think the reason why pitchers seem to have difficulty making throws to bases lies directly with not enough consistent practice to make all the throws. pitchers' arms are babied so much in todays game due to their value that teams don't let them take extensive pitcher fielding practice in gamelike situations where they need to make strong, accurate throws. aside from running to cover first in spring training and rolled-out comebackers, I doubt they do much additional fielding/infield practice.

Like others have said, it is also the same reason pitchers have trouble with intentional walks. Its hard to dial it back and throw it soft.

When I read this, the first person I thought of was Juan Acevedo. If I remember right, this guy had all kinds of trouble with intentional walks. I think he even had a wild pitch on at least one occasion.

Like others have said, it is also the same reason pitchers have trouble with intentional walks. Its hard to dial it back and throw it soft.

They seem to screw up most when they throw it too soft to first base. Not sure why they sometimes seem to think that they have to make lolly-pop throws to first.

Archived