Brewer Fanatic

Cardinals Series

Scooter1027

I don't consider myself a "sky is falling" type and I would almost never call a series in July a "must win", but I look at the pitching matchups for this St. Louis series and I feel like we really should win 3 at least.

Vargas vs. Maroth (5.82) -- I know I'm not the only one who tenses up hearing "Vargas", but Maroth is even worse, and what's more, he's a lefty. We should knock him around (despite letting him off the hook in Detroit).

Parra vs. Thompson (4.93) -- This the one I have us losing in my mind, just because there are no guarantees when you're talking about a young man's first big league start.

Capuano vs. Reyes (0-10, 6.40) -- I'm in the camp that W-L record for pitchers doesn't matter much, but this is kind of funny. 0-10. A 6.40 ERA will do that though. Cappy's been better of late, this should be a win.

Gallardo vs. Wells (5.57) -- Wells just isn't a good pitcher, at all. Gallardo has been our ace. This should be a gimme.

I don't like to put too much pressure on one series because I don't like to be let down to harshly. But I think this is a real big 4 games in 3 days. Let's hope the Cards are blowing all their runs tonight against Chicago!

I say we split the series, even though I agree we really don't face even a decent pitcher the entire series. I guess I don't consider any road game a likely win right now.

What I want to see is no more resting multiple starters, and giving the Cards our full arsenal all four games. I don't think that's too much to ask.

Archived