FVBrewerFan

From Mitch's 2008 splits:

IP AB H 2B HR W IW HP K GDP AVG OBP SLG OPS
May 4.3 21 7 2 0 4 0 0 6 0 0.333 0.440 0.429 0.869
June 1.7 5 0 0 0 0 0 0 3 0 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000

BABIP WHIP W/9 K/9 HR/9 G L F P B U
May 0.467 2.54 8.31 12.46 0.00 4 5 5 1 0 0
June 0.000 0.00 0.00 16.20 0.00 1 0 1 0 0 0

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

what happened? Did he drink some Derrick Turnbow serum or something? He seemed to be smooth and steady from the start and then BAM! He's walking the ballpark. Even his career minor league numbers didn't indicate this prior to his "meltdown" in mid-May.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

what happened? Did he drink some Derrick Turnbow serum or something? He seemed to be smooth and steady from the start and then BAM! He's walking the ballpark. Even his career minor league numbers didn't indicate this prior to his "meltdown" in mid-May.

At the same time look at the very small sample size. He hasn't been used a lot in Nashville and let's see what happens as he logs more innings. I would imagine he'll come closer to his career norms rather than further away.

He has made 8 appearances since going down and he's only issued a walk in 2 of those. Unfortunately both of those were 2 walk outings. But there's no need to paint this like it's Steve Blass disease or anything. He's being used more like a LOOGY now it seems (judging by the length of his outings), but by comparison, he's struck somebody out in 7 of those 8 appearances.

In short, he's fine. He should be back now. He probably never should have been sent down in the first place.

The problem is that there is no room now. It would be really hard to send Dillard down in order to get Stetter up which is basically what would happen assuming Riske and Gagne return in the week like Riske hopes.

They don't need DiFelice.

Stetter had two bad games where he lost his release point. Two. Prior to that, he might have been the most effective reliever they had. It returned as soon as he was back in Nashville. With a man on third and one out and a lefty up there, I'd rather have Stetter out there than Shouse myself.

They don't use DiFelice, so they might as well send him down.

Whether they need him or not is a totally different question. I'm still quite convinced that DiFelice is among the 5 best healthy starting pitchers the organization currently possesses, especially if the plan is to keep Villy in the pen for the time being. With the drastic decline in Bush's peripherals this season, I'd probaby rather have DiFelice in the rotation than Bush. It should go without saying that he's a better option than the Seth McClung experiment.

I'd rather have Stetter than Shouse in that situation (need a K), and also any time your LOOGY has to go through a RH hitter to get to the other LH hitter(s) you plan on having him face. Shouse's historical platoon differential is cataclysmically wide.

Archived