Brewer Fanatic

Wainwright to the DL

Other teams with pitching injuries... I told myself that these things can even out, but I was starting to get nervous. I'm not glad Wainwright got hurt, but I'm glad the Brewers aren't the only team to have injury woahs thrown at them.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I found it to be distasteful, too. I edited the lead and hid some replies. One hidden reply was perfectly appropriate, but it became irrelevant once the others were hidden.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Wow, I just looked at the standings and the Brewers are only four back of St. Louis for the wild card and the only team besides St. Louis ahead of us for the wild card is Florida, by one game. Let's make up some ground! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I don't think this is necessarily a good thing for the Brewers. I've never considered the Cardinals to be a serious playoff threat (they have many guys performing well over thier heads) and I still don't, but they are keeping the heat on the Cubs for now and causing Piniella to manage like every game is the World Series. A loss of Wainwright might cause them to fade a little too soon, and give the Cubs some breathing room to save their pen.

But John, how can you not consider them a serious threat? We are nearing the 1/2 way point of the season, if they were not legit they wouldn't still be 11 games over .500. And until Wainwright went down, the Cardinals were going to get healthier with so many players returning from injuries. I would much rather be in second place in the Wild Card race trailing the Marlins by just 1 game...

But John, how can you not consider them a serious threat? We are nearing the 1/2 way point of the season, if they were not legit they wouldn't still be 11 games over .500. And until Wainwright went down, the Cardinals were going to get healthier with so many players returning from injuries. I would much rather be in second place in the Wild Card race trailing the Marlins by just 1 game...

Menotti80,

The 1977 Cubs were 25 games over .500 in June of 1977 and finished 81-81. Numerous Brewer teams over the years were right there as late as early July. In 2004, on July 1st the Brewers were 41-34 and finished the year 67-94. I've been around a long time. Teams that have no business contending can play very well for 2 or 3 months. But the Cardinals don't fool me.

The Cardinals are where they are because of Ryan Ludwick, Skip Schumacher, Todd Wellemeyer, and Kyle Lohse having monster couple of months. Those are all journeyman major leaguers. Do you think for a minute that Ludwick, suddenly at age 30, is going to put up MVP type numbers over a full season or that Wellemeyer, who's bounced around all over, is going to be in the Cy Young discussion?

As for their injured players coming back, are Mulder (who hasn't been effective since 2005) or Carpenter (coming off surgery) going to be anywhere near top form?

Did I hear that Mark Mulder is still having difficulties in his comeback from surgury? Or was it Chris Carpenter? Regardless, for them to lose Wainright is like us losing Gallardo. Although it looks like Adam will be okay and return sometime soon whereas Yo is done for the year.

I'm kind of hoping that Mulder and Carpenter don't make it back this year, or at least until September. It doesn't sound good for them so far.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

pitchleague wrote:

I'm kind of hoping that Mulder and Carpenter don't make it back this year, or at least until September. It doesn't sound good for them so far.

I don't even know if Mulder can be effective anymore throughout his career. Since the end of '05 he's only pitched 104 innings while giving up 23 home runs with 53 Ks/42 BBs, and has had two rotator cuff surgeries. It sucks because I was a huge fan of the early 2000's Oakland teams but I can't imagine he could be that great again.

If there ever was a time to start showing some life, now is the time. With Pujols possibly going out for awhile and Wainright on the DL, if the crew could at least start splitting some of these road trips with a .500 record by taking the next 2 games at Houston and take 6 of the next 9 at home, they would be 41-34 heading into that big road trip at the end of the month through Atlanta, Minnesota, and Arizona.

They could shave off some of that 5 game lead the Cards are currently enjoying over the Brewers in the Wild Card race. They just have to get by Florida and St. Louis currently. Better to only have to bypass 2 teams, instead of 5 or 6 teams. With teams like Atlanta, NY Mets, and the L.A. Dodgers already below us in the standings, I feel that it is a good possibility of the Crew catching the Cards and Marlins who may be overachieving thus far and with the Cardinals injuries, this may make it even more possible. Can Ryan Ludwick survive without Pujols in the lineup??

This years NL Wild Card race is reminding me of the 2006 season. A bunch of mediocre teams battling it out. As bad as it has been this year, to be in this position, isn't that bad. You could be a Mets fan, Braves fan, or something else. However it is time for the Crew to take advantage of the situation.

However, this is a lot to ask of a strike out prone, low OBP Ned Yost lineup that has consistently gone through long scoring droughts like the one they are in now- having scored just 1 run in the past 16 innings.

Archived