Brewer Fanatic

Ken Griffey Jr. hits HR #600

Glennron

Congratulations to Griffey Junior. Now let's hope Melvin can talk the Reds into a Griffey for Cameron trade. I think they were traded for each other once before, weren't they? I'm sure the Reds would love to have Cameron.

I've been a Griffey fan for a long-time and out of all the home run hitters out there (those that have been around for awhile) he is one of the few I've never heard of PEDs and his name. I really hope the Reds can work out a trade with a contender that is fair for both sides so Junior gets a shot at a ring. He's a classy player and he's been terrific for the sport.

It's a great accomplishment. It's just shame that injuries have left him a shell of his former self.

Like Molitor to a certain extent, no telling what his final numbers would have been had he stayed on the field more.

I've been a Griffey fan for a long-time and out of all the home run hitters out there (those that have been around for awhile) he is one of the few I've never heard of PEDs and his name.

The closest I've ever heard is that Griffey and Bonds had a conversation once where Bonds got all pissed off about younger players juicing and he said he was gonna "do something about it." Even with the rumor of that conversation out there, I don't think there was ever a whisper of Griffey ever doing anything.

Anyway, back on topic...man, that is a sweet swing.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

The closest I've ever heard is that Griffey and Bonds had a conversation once where Bonds got all pissed off about younger players juicing and he said he was gonna "do something about it." Even with the rumor of that conversation out there, I don't think there was ever a whisper of Griffey ever doing anything.

I'd heard of that as well. That said, I don't believe Griffey was involved with PEDs. What do I have to base that on? My miles-from-ground-zero intuition. He always had that sweet stroke, even as a skinny teenager playing alongside his pops in Seattle.

Props to you Junior.

I can't say it any better than Joe Posnanski:

There's an old baseball man I knew who saw Babe Ruth, Josh Gibson and Albert Pujols all hit home runs. He loved baseball with an intensity that never stopped surprising people around him. Wherever he went, people would ask him to name his favorite, and he never could do that. He loved too many of them. He would talk about Ted Williams' swing, and he would talk about the way Roberto Clemente threw, and the way Willie Mays' cap flew off, and the way Cool Papa Bell ran around the bases.

"But your favorite," the people would say, coaxing him, and he would smile, and he would say, "Well, I sure like that Ken Girffey Jr."

"Why's that?" people asked.

"Because," Buck O'Neil said. "He's having so much fun."

Congrats, Junior.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

10 years from now 20,000 people will claim they were at the game when Jr. hit #600...

You're kidding, right?

With the announced attendance at 16,003, (I'm sure it was really more like they added the 1) 20,000 will claim they were there by the end of the week!

By the end of this season it'll be 76,003 etc, etc, etc.

http://images.yuku.com/image/jpeg/d7d3528194018d52452462e615589e2cae866bf.jpg

Class act, great player and all the while had fun playing the game. If I have a son I will tell him I saw Ken Griffey Jr. play. He is the kind of player that candy bars are named after.

Archived