Brewer Fanatic

Lake Delton- Gone

Barbs4339

The pictures are absolutely astonishing. It's ridiculous to see that in every picture they have up on JSonline.com there are locals there with their cameras taking pictures. No one can believe it. How does a lake just disappear?

Verified Member

I saw that and it's just amazing. No Tommy Bartlett show or Duck boat tours. Not to mention all the resorts and water sports on the Lake. This will have a big impact on Dells tourism.

tristarscoop wrote:

How does a lake just disappear?

Sadly, it's not magic. It's a whole lot of water that has to go somewhere. I just watched a video of a house floating away. Just goes to remind us all what is important in life. It sure ain't stuff, because it can go away or be destroyed very quickly.

Community Moderator
From what I understand, Lake Delton was created by this dam. The dam didn't break, but the water level got so high that it just flowed over/around the dam, causing major erosion and draining the lake. Once they fix the hole, it will probably take months to refill the lake, essentially wiping out the summer tourism season.

now THAT, bullox, is a GREAT line. Bravo! Sure made me laugh!

On a more serious side, that is too bad about the lake and people losing their homes. I could care less about the resorts--they were overpriced to begin with--but anybody that bought land and built a vacation home/primary home on that lake has had their lives completely changed. Gotta wonder if they had flood insurance.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

There were some concerns earlier today that the lake in Marshall might suffer the same fate. The dam is expected to hold, but there's just so much water, it's basically leaking right around the sides of the dam, which forced an evacuation of the area.

I used to live on that lake, I just can't imagine where that much water would go if that dam is compromised.

Gotta wonder if they had flood insurance.

The people interviewed on the local news last night did not, as the area wasn't in a floodplain (until yesterday). The homes lost are in some cases the second home and some cases the primary home for the owners.

As I understand it, the resorts are OK in the sense of being intact, but their owners are naturally worried about how much business they'll lose. Some customers have already cancelled reservation since the location is not currently "waterfront."

One would think the Dells region as a whole stands to lose a noticeable amount of business. The Tommy Bartlett folks can't do their ski show (though there are other Tommy Bartlett attractions) and the Ducks at best have to alter their route. Both attractions are already planning workarounds (link). But with this house disintegrating footage making national news, you wonder how many people are going to just say, hmm, we'll go somewhere else this year.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

You would think that after this, if you live remotely close to a body of water, you would seriously consider flood insurance! You never know how many 25, 100 or 250 year floods you're going to have, and it would have be something to consider

You would think that after this, if you live remotely close to a body of water, you would seriously consider flood insurance! You never know how many 25, 100 or 250 year floods you're going to have, and it would have be something to consider

It isn't that these people didn't want flood insurance, it's that they COULDN'T buy it. Flood insurance (a relatiely new concept in home owners coverage) is only available to people that live in a flood plain area that qualifies under a 50-year incident. That means if the area has flooded once in the last 50 years, you are qualified. Obviously these people on Lake Delton didn't qualify. However, I'm sure that their insurance will come through, or face a huge backlash of negative public relations.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

"I could care less about the resorts--they were overpriced to begin with"

You do realize those resorts employed hundreds of people right?

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I thought this was a fitting quote.

Men may dam it and say that they have made a lake, but it will still be a river. It will keep its nature and bide its time, like a caged animal alert for the slightest opening. In Time, it will have its way; the dam, like the ancient cliffs, will be carried away piecemeal in the currents.
- Wendell Berry

I could care less about the resorts--they were overpriced to begin with

False! Once a year in May my car club has an annual gathering at a resort on Lake Delton. Downright cheap lodging at a very nice place. Hard to imagine what the view is like there right now -- 3 or 4 weeks ago it there were beautiful sunsets over a picturesque lake. Maybe never again.... Very sad.
"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

Lake Delton will be as good as new soon...it was man made once, and will be again. I believe they said they had to fill it in 1983 due to draining, it only took 14 days, and they did it slowly.

I believe Gov. Doyle said he hoped they could get it back in 30 days, but the consensus seems to be late Fall or next Spring.

And the Berry quote above is true...anything you build on it will eventually need to be replaced. The Colorado River made the Grand Canyon, water is a powerful force.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Are there any dam questions? If not, we'll continue with the dam tour.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Wonder if the prices have come down. Might not be a bad cheap solution to just "get out of town".

I'm curious how long it's going to take to repair the dam. My guess is that's what's going to take the most time, repair.

Yeah, unless I misunderstood, the water washed away a road (hwy A?) that separated the lake from the Wisconsin river. Dam fine, but lake drained through an unexpected breach. That's good news that the lake can be refilled so soon. How will they do that? The same people that come fill people's inground pools? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif
"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

That's good news that the lake can be refilled so soon. How will they do that? The same people that come fill people's inground pools? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

One idea would be to re-direct the sewage that was leaving Miller Park restrooms and flowing directly into the Menominee River. Have a 50 cent beer night and you've got yourself a lake. Good thing I don't swim.

linkage

Archived