Brewer Fanatic

Anyone ever use an AC Booster??

MillerParkSouth
My bedroom gets minimal airflow through the vent so it's incredibly hot and stuffy even when the downstairs is cool and comfortable. I was searching around on home depot's website and found a thing called an AC booster. it pretty much looks like a fan that you put over the vent cover and it says that it draws out more air. The reviews i've read have been pretty mixed, has anyone ever tried one of these? how did it work? Thanks!
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

I'd almost thing about going DIY in this scenario. If you put a small piece of sheet metal in the HVAC system right in front of the vents in-line that come before your vent, you may be able to divert some AC goodness to your end of line vent. The key would be to make sure that you aren't diverting too much air. Just a small piece of sheet metal would do.

This may be too much effort for some people, others may look at it as a nice little project.

If I recall, someone around here has mentioned being an HVAC guy, so maybe they can help with this. Who was that now?
"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

Sorry, you lost me at "DIY".

Haha, at least it was after "thing" (durr, typo).

You strike me as the DIY type, Brian. For instance, the Brewers fans needed an internet presence a few years back. Presto! DIY Brewersfandemonium.

Maybe in some areas and not in others... I'll let this slide just this once, I guess.

We had this problem with the heat in our old place. We put covers on the floor vents, and closed up the ceiling vents in the warm parts of the house to push the air to the cold parts. I'm guessing the same thing could be done with AC.

I've read in the past that you don't want to cover more than a certain percentage of your vents...25% I think. Can damage the heating/cooling systems. But my troubleshooting would entail what's been discussed already. Close vents or divert air from the colder parts so that your house gets more evenly cooler. If the room where your thermostat is is cooler and shuts the A/C off prematurely, you need to not let that room get too cool, too quickly.

it's weird, i've tried closing all the vents that i would think might steal air from my room's, but nothing has worked. I just put a call into the landlord so hopefully they can get it going again, otherwise i'm going to just bite the bullett and drop $40 on the booster and hope it works.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

Archived