Brewer Fanatic

Minnesota Twins are a BIGGER Rival that the Cubs

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't understand how the Twins can be a bigger rival when the Cubs are closer in distance and the games mean a lot more when we play the Cubs. Interleague is an artificial way to get fans in the stadium and good for Bud Selig for creating it to help attendance in baseball. The Cubs, Brewers rivalry is 10 times bigger than Twins, Brewers.

I don't understand how the Twins can be a bigger rival when the Cubs are closer in distance and the games mean a lot more when we play the Cubs. Interleague is an artificial way to get fans in the stadium and good for Bud Selig for creating it to help attendance in baseball. The Cubs, Brewers rivalry is 10 times bigger than Twins, Brewers.

You have it in three sentences. The "natural rivals" thing with Twins-Brewers is probably more to benefit the Twins' attendance. I remember their series against each other during the 1980s and early 1990s and it looked like half the attendance was Brewers fans. Based on anecdotal evidence from attending the interleague games at Minnesota last year, it hasn't changed much.

(Are the Twins drawing any sorts of home-fanbase attendance? I was at all four games of the Red Sox @ Twins and if it wasn't for Sox fans, there wouldn't have been any attendance at all. And if a team can't draw more than 30,000 for a game against the defending world champions, what do they draw against teams like the Royals? --well, nothing; I've been to a few of those games, too.)

Twins fans are usually quite knowledgable all-around, solid baseball fans in general.

St Louis Cardinals fans also in this category, even more-so on their baseball knowledge.

Welcome guests at Miller, I'd love to see both rivalries expand.

Cubs fans at Wrigley: substantial (skewed, but substantial) baseball knowledge on the Northside.

So ... how come the quality of "Cubs fans" they export to The Keg are usually from the bottom of their barrel ??? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/tongue.gif

Invader and Stein- I remember hearing stories about the seventies through the mid-eighties. Once I hit 10 or so and started really paying attention, right away you could tell it was a fierce rivalry. Garner and Bevington and the fights in the stands was insane.

For what it's worth, I have been to both Brewers-Twins series in Minneapolis and Milwaukee for the past couple of years. I was surprised by the number of Brewers fans at the Metrodome last year. Either a good amount of fans from Western Wisconsin crossed the Mississippi or there are many Brewers fans "displaced" in the Twin Cities area. Also, I work in Minnesota and many of my co-workers love the road trip to Miller Park. They love the tailgating and stadium.

While I believe that the Packer - Bear rivalry has been eclipsed by the Packer - Viking rivalry in Wisconsin, I don't know if this is true for baseball. But at the same time, I don't think the Cubs consider the Brewers their rivals in comparison with Saint Louis, so perhaps your on to something with the Twins Brew Crew rivalry.

Not even close; the rivalry is much stronger between the Brewers and Cubs. I actually like Minny and root for the Twinkies when we ain't playing them. I ALWAYS hate the Cubs, their fans, their team, their city. I cannot even think of a Twin player that is a pinhead. But the Cubs? Current team, Soriano and Ramirez for their showboating style; Zambrano is the biggest attitudinal reprobate in baseball this side of Elijah Dukes. Recent memory? Barrett, SOSA!!!!! Hate'm.

I don't think you can say a team is a bigger rival just because you respect their fans more. The fact that we hate Cubs fans so much is all the more reason that it's a big rivalry. The fact that we tolerate Twins fans and somewhat like them makes them less of a rival in my opinion.

Looks like detours didn't interrupt most of the inbound Twinkie faithful on Friday.

With Kevin Slowey's career hitting night and Bill Hall's misadventures, Twins fans had plenty to cheer.

Around home plate, not so bad, but man my eardrums got abused by Twins noise near the Kid Zone!

Needless to say, they still have far more class than the typical Cubs fans invading The Keg. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/tongue.gif

Last night some Twins fans in our section were starting to get pretty annoying (section 214). I believe an usher even had to tell them to calm down. This group of guys, all in Twins gear, near the front of the section, kept holding up a sign that said "Bert, it's your turn", or something like that (obviously, directed at Bert Blyleven). Someone even threw a mini helmet at them towards the end of the game, which was kind of hilarious. I admit, I was half tempted to whip a water bottle at them after the Twins got the lead and they wouldn't sit down.

I don't mind people standing up and cheering the opposing team, but it's like, you don't have to hold up your sign every half inning. Especially after the regular innings are over.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Community Moderator

Twins fans are better than Cubs fans. Still, Brewers fans aren't exactly the class of MLB. I've seen it go both ways during the Brewers/Cubs games.

Last year at the Metrodome there was a group of Brewers fans parading around after the Friday win with a Brett Favre poster chanting "Go Pack Go". Most Brewers/Twins fans around them got a laugh out of that.

I would call the Twins our friendly rivals. Nothing compares to Brewers/Cubs though, it has always brought us crazy games but the intensity has really picked up the last few years.

I don't mind people standing up and cheering the opposing team, but it's like, you don't have to hold up your sign every half inning. Especially after the regular innings are over.

Don't most of the Twins fans' signs exist to get Bert to "circle them"? Not to necessarily defend the annoying people near you, Invader, but their TV crew encourages that bit of signage culture. Just looking around last night, I saw what seemed like an unusual number of signs, and figured they were would-be "circleds."

I have to admit, the Twins fans in our section Saturday were all right, considering. The guy behind me was extremely loud, but was only cub-esque when the Prince hit was ruled a triple ("I'm glad they got screwed," he said to his companion). I experienced none of the taunting that tends to accompany cub games.

The loud guy and another Twins fan sitting near him got up during the extra innings and complained loudly to the usher about having had peanuts thrown at them "for three hours." That's not behavior I would condone (though I wonder if someone else got tired of the loud guy's shtick), but I wouldn't have waited three hours to complain and then act like the usher was negligent. The terrace level guest relations staff had their hands more than full as it was.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Don't most of the Twins fans' signs exist to get Bert to "circle them"? Not to necessarily defend the annoying people near you, Invader, but their TV crew encourages that bit of signage culture. Just looking around last night, I saw what seemed like an unusual number of signs, and figured they were would-be "circleds."

"Circle Me Bert" signs are definitely part of the Twins fan culture. Signs are indeed held up every half inning. (Nobody knows if Bert has circled them unless someone watching at home gives them a call, of course.) The Twins aren't the only team with that encouraged by the broadcasters. Jerry Remy of the Red Sox TV crew doesn't circle signs but he'll certainly talk about signs mentioning him during the broadcast. I admit to seeing equal numbers of "Hey Jerry" signs at the Dome last month as "Circle Me Bert" and thankfully I wasn't behind any of them.

The White Sox played the Brewers in my first game. I remember it being pretty unruly. I am glad my parents weren't there or else I would have never made it to another game. My uncles got into plenty of fights and were pretty immature when they were younger. I know they got into a fight with the Sox fans that game. I pretty sure one uncle ended up throwing a guys sunglasses onto the field and I think he was removed along with the whole group of the Sox fans. I am not proud of that, but I don't remember it too well anyways.

The Cubs fans have their handful of jokers, but so does every team, including the Brewers. I have had some of my best times at the park hanging out with Cub fans I just met. I think most people who act like other team's fans are so bad bring it onto themselves. I have never talked to a mature adult in person who said the Cubs or any team has the worst fans. The only people that I have talked to in person that say things like that are pretty much just like they describe the worst fans as.

To me the Twins are a step above the Cubs as far as fans, but not by much. They were being complete jerks after they won very luckily on Saturday and saying "Now we can sweep this garbage team" and such things like that, but I was glad to get back Sunday and see them have a nice quiet walk to their car and hopefully a very long drive back to Minnesota.

Maybe it's just me, but I never have any problems with Cardinals fans, and I hate the Cardinals. But their fans come and respect our park and don't just try to take it over. That gains a lot of respect from me. One time I was at a Brewers vs Cards game and the Brewers had won the game and a Cards fan came up to me and said "Nice Ballpark and good luck on the season!"

Could you imagine any Cubs or Twins fans ever saying anything of the sort? I'm not saying Brewers fans are any better at Wrigley or Minnesota, but I do know that Cubs and Twins fans are jerks when the come to Miller Park.

Could you imagine any Cubs or Twins fans ever saying anything of the sort? I'm not saying Brewers fans are any better at Wrigley or Minnesota, but I do know that Cubs and Twins fans are jerks when the come to Miller Park.

Yes. There are millions of each, I'm sure some of them are nice. I've been to three Mil-Min games at Miller Park the last three years and never really had an incident that would make me think Twins fans are jerks. Obviously there are going to be some but on the whole they seem fine. Cubs fans on the other hand...

Yes. There are millions of each, I'm sure some of them are nice. I've been to three Mil-Min games at Miller Park the last three years and never really had an incident that would make me think Twins fans are jerks. Obviously there are going to be some but on the whole they seem fine. Cubs fans on the other hand...
Although that could be true, from what I've seen it is not. I've been to a lot of Twins vs Brewers games in the last 5 years and every time I have gone, there have been plenty of jerk Twins fans each time. It was particular funny when the cops had to drag a Twins fan out of the game on Saturday due to disorderly conduct.

Archived