Brewer Fanatic

Weeks to DL w/sprained knee; Iribarren Recalled (reply #25)

wOOgiE22

I can't imagine they'd want to tick off Hall more by playing a guy hitting .273/.338/.326 at AAA over him against anybody.

I can't imagine that they would THINK that he's a better option than Hall. If they do, it's just because they are chasing some vague notion of what a lead off guy is supposed to be.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How? Easily. He had like a 700 OPS heading into August last year. There were questions if he would have to repeat AA. Now its not bad that it took until August for him to hit, the point is he likely needs more seasoning in AAA like his numbers seem to indicate. And his power didn't show up until August last year either.

Hall seems like the logical first choice to fill in at 2B if with his struggles this year at the plate. Not sure how he will react to playing another new spot with the glove, however he would be getting playing time. Dillion would then be at 3B with Branyan.

Dillion might get some playing time at 2B against righties though with Hall's struggles. Think of Dillion as Jeff Kent-lite.

How? Easily. He had like a 700 OPS heading into August last year. There were questions if he would have to repeat AA. Now its not bad that it took until August for him to hit, the point is he likely needs more seasoning in AAA like his numbers seem to indicate. And his power didn't show up until August last year either.
I don't care if he had a 700 OPS entering August. The bottom line is that his OPS was .793 at the end of the season. Also, it was .760 the year before. That's not too bad for a 2B. I also put some stock in Hernan being able to hit major league pitching in Spring Training.

Let's not forget that not every pitcher pitching in Spring Training was Major League quality. All you have to do to figure that out is to remember that yes, Hernan was getting at bats. Hernan was not quite a MLB-level player at that point. He was facing pitchers in somewhat the same situation as himself. On top of that, http://logo.cafepress.com/8/1971856.5157478.jpg

et's not forget that not every pitcher pitching in Spring Training was Major League quality. All you have to do to figure that out is to remember that yes, Hernan was getting at bats. Hernan was not quite a MLB-level player at that point. He was facing pitchers in somewhat the same situation as himself. On top of that,
Notice how I said SOME stock. I didn't say a lot. Please read carefully.

How much is some? Enough to rely on him playing nearly everyday?

Lol. Didn't that already happen?

No, agent sorta/kinda/not really did.

And I was being serious. If the Brewers expect Iribarren to have better production than Hall, he has no future with the Brewers.

And I was being serious. If the Brewers expect Iribarren to have better production than Hall, he has no future with the Brewers.
Well I currently have that opinion right now. Hall really does have no future with the Brewers at this point unless he starts to produce. With Gamel in the wings at 3B for next year, I consider Hall good as gone unless he can salvage his season. There is a decent chance of that, but he really doesn't have a role right now other than being able to hit Left Handed pitching with average defense.

Weird, we saw Weeks and Mike Rivera at the bar on Friday night after the game and he didn't seem to be limping at all. It always amazes me how much bigger these guys are in person compared to what they look like in uniform/on TV. I only wish they could have pulled out a few more wins for us Brewer fans out here in CO.

I just don't get the Iribarren call up. He's struggling mightily in AAA, had only one great month in AA last year. Nelson's clock is ticking much faster than Iribarren's. Is this just familiarity?

My guess is the Brewers wanted someone who could play 2B -- I'm not saying that's right or wrong. The Hurricane can play 2B if needed and can play the OF. They haven't had a 5th OF since Gwynn went down and The Hurricane provides more flexibility. Nelson can play 1B and maybe the corner spots, but I don't think Prince, Braun, or Hart need all that many days off.

I don't expect it to be a platoon at 2B more of a start or two a week and pinch hitting/running as needed. There's not much to get worked up about here IMO unless your Tony Gwynn Jr.

I don't expect it to be a platoon at 2B more of a start or two a week and pinch hitting/running as needed. There's not much to get worked up about here IMO unless your Tony Gwynn Jr.
Re: Tony Gwynn - as you said, they definitely needed someone else who could play 2B IMO. It's probably not perfect timing, but it may be a good opportunity to see if he'll ever be an MLB player vs AAAA.

(pared back long quote --1992)

They have three who can play 2B already in Hall, Counsell and if needed Dillon. Adding a guy you never want to do anything except pinch hit when you have to remove a pitcher early or take over 2B after two injuries just seems like a waste.

They have three who can play 2B already in Hall, Counsell and if needed Dillon. Adding a guy you never want to do anything except pinch hit when you have to remove a pitcher early or take over 2B after two injuries just seems like a waste.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong by any means. My guess is that The Hurricane gives them more flexibility. I wouldn't count on Dillon as a 2B. He doesn't have all that much range. I'd rather have The Hurricane getting some time there. I do think Hall is going to take 2B. The Brewers may have other infielders, but in terms of flexibility and not seeing Counsell start three times a week The Hurricane does make a little sense there. If The Hurricane is starting everyday there, then that is a different story.

Is Rickie only out for the two weeks or is this a serious knee injury that the team is covering up. I hope he comes back soon because I for one still believe in Rickie Weeks.

How about Santa Claus? I reckon they are nearing the same premise?

Does it make you feel better to constantly dump on Weeks? It'd seem that him being healthy & playing well would do something for you.

How did I dump on Weeks? I'm just saying that I think believing in Rickie Weeks is nearing the point of believing in Santa Claus. I'd love to see him healthy and playing well, but that's not any different than any other Brewer. I think Rickie Weeks problems are mostly mental and there is no fixing that. I dont think he has great baseball smarts and it shows in the mental aspects of the game, ie. plate discipline, field strategy, when to throw the ball, etc. It's the complete opposite of a David Eckstein, who doesn't have the utmost talent in the world, but makes up for it by being baseball smart and fundamentally sound. But No, I'm not trying to dump on Weeks and yes, him playing well would do something for me, but I want to see every Brewer succeed.

How did I dump on Weeks? I'm just saying that I think believing in Rickie Weeks is nearing the point of believing in Santa Claus.

I guess we have differing views on what's dumping on a guy -- to me, what you just said there is that. I get that you're frustrated & think he's 'unfixable', but calling him a child's fairytale is a bit harsh. Just mho, so take from it what you will. I admit I'm very much a Weeks backer.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

My heart doesn't want to give up on Rickie, but my head sort of does. This is shaping up to be his worse offensive season across the board -- average is down, OBP is down, SLG is down, and his OPS+ is a whopping 79. I know he's young, etc., but he's just not getting better at the plate. (And his defense . . . well, we don't even need to go there.)

What's really scary to me is that when you see "similar batters through age 24," one of the names that pops up is Dale Sveum. To be fair, though, there are several other serviceable guys on that same list, including Bobby Grich.

So I guess the question is: which one is he going to be?

Archived