Brewer Fanatic

Weeks to DL w/sprained knee; Iribarren Recalled (reply #25)

wOOgiE22
  • Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Geesh, it sure seems less than satisfying that we let Colorado completely off the hook for one of their players sliding late and putting one of ours on the DL. Hardnosed baseball my rear, that guy's legs didn't make contact with the ground until he was beyond the bag. Since Ned's newest excuse is "WWBCD?", (What Would Bobby Cox Do?) I have to ask...does anyone really think the Braves would have sat there and done nothing? And I wonder how our players feel about the fact that we let the Rockies get away with it. I bet they'll be forced to take matters in their own hands next time, as has been the case in the past.

I didn't like that play at all, either, BF. That was a dirty play that resulted in a player getting injured. I am not a fan of thuggery in MLB, but I was hot after that slide.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Geesh, it sure seems less than satisfying that we let Colorado completely off the hook for one of their players sliding late and putting one of ours on the DL. Hardnosed baseball my rear, that guy's legs didn't make contact with the ground until he was beyond the bag. Since Ned's newest excuse is "WWBCD?", (What Would Bobby Cox Do?) I have to ask...does anyone really think the Braves would have sat there and done nothing? And I wonder how our players feel about the fact that we let the Rockies get away with it. I bet they'll be forced to take matters in their own hands next time, as has been the case in the past.

What should they have done? Beaned a player or started a brawl? I think part of the reason the players didn't say anything because it's more or less a part of the game and at the time (assuming the Brewers weren't hiding anything) it didn't appear to be a serious injury. Who's to say Weeks and/or the Brewers haven't received an apology for it?

Geesh, it sure seems less than satisfying that we let Colorado completely off the hook for one of their players sliding late and putting one of ours on the DL.

It was a nasty slide, no doubt. But I think the guy only had one other appearance in the rest of the series, and that was in yesterday's game as a PH. Too close of a game to be throwing at someone.

Although it doesn't make it right, a few other managers do the same thing with the lineup as Yost. Of the top of my head, I know Leyland does it. Personally, I don't think it makes sense at all.

No, you only bean guys when its September and you're in a pennant race.

Duh!

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Hall has more experience at 2B than he does at any position other than SS. I'm sure he'd rather be in the lineup there than not in it at all.

I'm rather surprised they brought up Iribarren rather than Crabbe. Iribarren's hardly played 2B all year and hasn't exactly been raking since his return to Nashville. If they just wanted a lefthanded bat off the bench, then why not Nelson? Crabbe is the better player defensively at 2B.

I can't imagine they'd want to tick off Hall more by playing a guy hitting .273/.338/.326 at AAA over him against anybody. It's one thing to be platooned with a guy with major league experience with Branyan's power in the midst of a hot streak, but with an uproven AAA player who's been struggling, it's another.

Compared to Dillon, at 2b, Hall is clearly the better defender.

It was a nasty slide, no doubt. But I think the guy only had one other appearance in the rest of the series, and that was in yesterday's game as a PH. Too close of a game to be throwing at someone.

I see. Apparently though, a pennant race and a slight directly at him doesn't prevent Yost from a beanball war. Injure a player though and it's all under the rug. When LaRussa was screaming at him personally he had no problem throwing at the opponent.

Yes. That's what you do when an opposing player injures one of your own on a dirty play.

I disagree. Sliding hard is part of the game these days and beaning a player to show up the other team/player just doesn't do much for me. I'd rather win games than worry about a team injuring a player on purpose -- if that's even the case. Sliding hard is part of the game and I find it odd that this is again going back at Yost. Why didn't a Brewer pitcher just bean a player on their own if it was that obviously dirty? Does a manager have to tell a player to "protect one of their own"? Or were they more worried about trying to win a baseball game?

Although it doesn't make it right, a few other managers do the same thing with the lineup as Yost. Of the top of my head, I know Leyland does it. Personally, I don't think it makes sense at all.

I'm watching the Indians on ESPN and Sizemore has the day off, so the back-up CFer is leading off, I just thought it was funny.

I personally think the bean ball is stupid in almost all instances. Sure you might get "payback", you could also get multiple players suspended due to a brawl.

Yes. That's what you do when an opposing player injures one of your own on a dirty play.

I disagree. Sliding hard is part of the game these days and beaning a player to show up the other team/player just doesn't do much for me. I'd rather win games than worry about a team injuring a player on purpose -- if that's even the case. Sliding hard is part of the game and I find it odd that this is again going back at Yost. Why didn't a Brewer pitcher just bean a player on their own if it was that obviously dirty? Does a manager have to tell a player to "protect one of their own"? Or were they more worried about trying to win a baseball game?

That was not just a "hard" slide. It was a dirty slide, since the guy didn't even hit the ground until after the base. He basically jumped right into Weeks' planted leg. Having said that, I'm not sure beaning someone would have solved anything.

Yes, that's the way it went down. I'm still angry about that crap. The only time I can think of a Brewer doing that was Prince in Houston when he said he just felt (for some reason) like he had to "tackle the bag" -- Loretta's leg was bent akwardly as a result, and Prince was very apologetic for that both on & off the field. Oh, and yeah, he started to slide before getting to 2B.

If the Brewers engaged in more dirty crap like the slide into Weeks, then I most certainly wouldn't feel as angry about it. I have to say that I do enjoy/appreciate/respect that the Crew aren't into that dirty stuff.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

That was not just a "hard" slide. It was a dirty slide, since the guy didn't even hit the ground until after the base. He basically jumped right into Weeks' planted leg. Having said that, I'm not sure beaning someone would have solved anything.

I do think it was a "hard" slide. Did he intentionally try to hurt Weeks? I don't know about that, but I don't think that's an instance where he was or at least stepped back and thought about it. It's part of the game and again we have no clue what has been said to Weeks or the Brewers and the fact he was day to day to the DL tells me the Brewers didn't think it was all that serious.

And for all the comments made about Yost and the beaning against the Cards why is the beaning ok in this instance? The seems to be ripping on a situation just for the sake of ripping on it. Until I hear that this was intentional I don't think it makes sense to bean a guy. Again, Yost doesn't throw any pitches and if any "blame" for the lack of beaning I would look first at the players on the club and not the manager. Maybe if you feel there should've been a beaning you should blame the players?

Beaning is the technical foul of basketball. Is it going to get the players all jacked up so they can win? Putting a guy on base is never a good thing in my opinion and these players are professionals and should act like it -- just like the Brewers did.

I'd feel horrible for Hall if he got switched positions again. If this occurs, I would not be surprised if Hall comes out Personally this time, and demands a trade. Seriously, how many times are we going to lie to this kid? (if this occurs, of course)

I really hope this doesn't happen. My fingers are crossed for ya Hall...

There's a difference between lying and the need to adapt to a change in circumstances.

If I read this right, you guys are saying he should play hurt?

Any of you guys ever have a knee injury, or worse, blow it up?

If I am missing some between the lines stuff, sorry.

I think there was a post mocking a post on jsonline. I don't think anyone hear honestly wants to Weeks to play if he's hurt as bad it seems. My post about him playing hurt relates to the fact that some blame his lack of production on his wrist injury and playing through it. There have been posts that he "recovered" in August and September last year and that's why he played well. So far this year it doesn't look like Rickie can really blame his wrist injury for anything as far as production goes.

I just don't get the Iribarren call up. He's struggling mightily in AAA, had only one great month in AA last year. Nelson's clock is ticking much faster than Iribarren's. Is this just familiarity?
One good month? How do you get a career 800 OPS in the minors from one good month? Very interesting. Hernan has hit well in Spring Training for the Brewers the last 2 years as well. He does happen to be struggling right now in AAA, but he's a proven hitter at the minor league level and at least he has some power unlike Counsell.

Archived