Brewer Fanatic

Weeks to DL w/sprained knee; Iribarren Recalled (reply #25)

wOOgiE22

Looks like Rickie is going to get his knee further tested in Milwaukee. He said that it is still stiff to walk on, so the Brewers are sending him home as a precautionary measure. Does this mean we get to see more Counsell in the leadoff spot.... that excites me a lot.

http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080608&content_id=2871432&vkey=news_mil&fext=.jsp&c_id=mil

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a post in the trade forum talking about how the Brewers had two scouts at Baltimore and Ken Rosenthal thought it was to look at Brian Roberts. link

I dont what it would take to get him. Rosenthal was saying weeks for Roberts. I don't want to start a trade discussion here if it belongs in the other forum, just wanted to throw out another replacement possibility that a rumor was floating around with.

Does this mean we get to see more Counsell in the leadoff spot.... that excites me a lot.

Yes, the 2B always bats leadoff, for clear reasons.

This is troubling news... I didn't like that slide or the way Rickie's knee looked on impact.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Based on the replay, I'm expecting bad news on Weeks. Or good news depending on your take on Weeks. I would bet Crabbe over Iribarren if Weeks goes on DL. So Hall gets another new position? If we move him enough maybe he will bat under .200.

Crabbe isn't on the 40 man and leaving him unprotected pretty much tells you what the organization thinks of him

I think this is overstated. Anyone could have had Russ at anytime for anything during spring training or April, but the Brewers need him now. It could be the same situation with Callix if the team feels they need a 2B.

Crabbe isn't on the 40 man and leaving him unprotected pretty much tells you what the organization thinks of him

They also thought enough of him to take him back when offered. They could easily add him to the roster by moving one of several guys from the 15 to the 60 day DL.

I dont think there is too much to be read into Crabbe being at AAA and not on the 40 man. I'm a Crabbe fan, so I'm bias. But all it means to me is that the organization is not ready to give up on Weeks, considering his "upside we always hear about" and his salary. And they value Counsell too much as the backup for veteran leadership. Therefore Callix gets regular hacks at AAA until something happens, which wont be known till an exam is conducted on Weeks. Everybody else seems to get a shot from AAA, why not Crabbe? Are people that pigeon-holed on Rickie Weeks that an alternative look would be so bad?

hernan has always been ahead of callix on the depth chart...if it's between those two, i'm sure it will be iribarren...

i would guess they'll just use counsell and dillon and bring up TGJ, or maybe brad nelson

I'm glad to see it wasn't a tear.

I did catch this little bit from a poster over there:

A sprain? Come on...does his tummy hurt too. Welcome to the big league Weeks. In Wisconsin we like tough guys (favre), not sally boys... - RyanhatesWeeks.

He's got all sorts of comments that are similar, and just as good.

Why does this site have all these rules?! It's posters like him that we're missing!

I love when people just pile on a player because he's hurt... clearly that player's desire to be healthy isn't strong enough! It's not like Weeks's knee was akwardly hyper-extended or anything -- using Favre's durability is a fair comparison... I mean, that Ripken guy wasn't such a baby, come on!

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I take it you've seen Crabbe play. What does he bring to the table that you like?

Plate Discipline, for one is his biggest tool. He doesn't think too hard on defense. I dont think his range is better than Weeks, but his brain is. He runs "under control, if that makes sense. Fundamentally sound. He's quick to get himself set and makes the throw. If the runner beats it, fine, but he isn't going to throw it in the dugout or the stands. Not neccessairly a power bat and slightly above average when it comes to stolen bases.

Archived