Brewer Fanatic

6/10/08 Brewers (McClung) at Astros (Oswalt): 7:05 PM CDT

wOOgiE22
  • Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Vent thread is going to be hot tonight. Yost goes with his worst pinch hitter and worst reliever in the biggest key spots of the game. Niiiiiiiicccccccccceee!!!!!!!!

Yost: "Well, he's been great in 4 IP with us, so I thought I would ignore the previous 300 innings over the last 3 years."

Wow, Ned really knows how to let these close games get away late. HtR, you are so right about the vent thread, worst available option at PH, and worst available option at RP. How anyone can honestly defend Ned Yost is beyond my comprehension.

When will some of the talk shift off of Ned and onto Melvin a little bit? He's the one bringing in the likes of Tavarez, Gagne, Mota, Cameron, etc. this season. A few good trades and signings from years back are saving him, in my mind, from fan's criticism now.

Seriously some are going to try and hang this on Ned for a bad pinch hit choice? How about terrible defense? He doesn't lose EVERY game...

How about putting Tavarez in during a one run game when everyone in the pen is available in the first place?

His bullpen usage is so random, I'm really starting to think he just calls the first name that pops into his head.

He's the one bringing in the likes of Tavarez, Gagne, Mota, Cameron, etc. this season. A few good trades and signings from years back are saving him, in my mind, from fan's criticism now.

Never mind that he also brought in Torres, Kendall, Kapler, and Branyan, who have all far surpassed expectations to this point. And Mota has actually probably exceeded expectations to this point as well, since most predicted him to be completely useless.

See bucksman4's post above. Who would you have gone to there Peavey?

Villanueva, without a doubt. He's been rock solid, and since the pitcher's spot had just cleared, he could give multiple innings. Tavarez should be the last arm out of the bullpen.

Well, cam's defense has been great so far this year. He just picked a bad time to embarrass himself.

Exactly, stuff like this unfortunately happens now and again. Tonight's misplay doesn't mean defensive replacements are a bad idea or that Cameron's been bad in the outfield this season, as you'd seem to think from all the sarcastic Gold Glove comments here.

When will some of the talk shift off of Ned and onto Melvin a little bit? He's the one bringing in the likes of Tavarez, Gagne, Mota, Cameron, etc. this season. A few good trades and signings from years back are saving him, in my mind, from fan's criticism now.

Tavarez was a guy who was picked up b/c Riske and Gagne went down. Gagne has been bad, so you are right there. Mota has actually been pretty good. He has only given up a run in 4 of his 22 games. His ERA is skewed by a couple terrible outings. Melvin has made some rough moves but the bullpen had been pitching really well, it just seems like Yost does not manage it that well in my mind

...or McClung who kept us in the game or Torres who has been lights out. We got Tavarez off the scrap heap, what do you expect? Mota has been fairly effective outside of Colorado and we got him for a 300 lbs. catcher we were going to cut. He's not perfect, but he's been fairly strong IMO.

Well, cam's defense has been great so far this year. He just picked a bad time to embarrass himself.

Exactly, stuff like this unfortunately happens now and again. Tonight's misplay doesn't mean defensive replacements are a bad idea or that Cameron's been bad in the outfield this season, as you'd seem to think from all the sarcastic Gold Glove comments here.

Exactly my point with the Ned criticism on this one. Yes he's lost some, he's also won his fair share, and then there are night like tonight. 162 games breeds this kind of thing.

Ned: Everyone in the bullpen is available. Except Torres and Mota. Maybe not Mota but probably Mota in the eighth. Unless it's the eighth. Dillard is available and so is Villy. Villy had that Snickers bar on his day off so we can slide him until...TAVAREZ! I totally forgot we had him. He has been kinda bad but an inning wasted is an inning earned. Yes.

Castro: sigh

Being manager of an underachieving team is a thankless job. The games the Brewers win, people are satisfied but do not praise Yost for anything he does RIGHT. But the games we lose because of misplayed flyballs and inability to string together two hits in a row make him look like an absolute dumbo. As soon as Gallardo went down, this season turned into an uphill battle to be able to string together winning streaks and play above .500 baseball. Taking a #2 pitcher out of the rotation and expecting this team to compete for the division against the Cubs is a big task that any manager would find an extreme challenge.

Archived