Brewer Fanatic

6/10/08 Brewers (McClung) at Astros (Oswalt): 7:05 PM CDT

wOOgiE22
  • Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, Yost did have a guy hit at the worst possible time. Cooper had a guy hit when they wanted to put him on first anyway, knowing that 99.5% of the time Fielder was coming to the plate anyway.

SO, it can be OK to want retaliation, but criticize the guy in charge for not understanding how and when to do it to minimize the damage to his own club.

I looked back at the thread and a couple people called it stupid and disagreed with it, others questioned doing it in front of Berkman and then a couple others said it was what should have been done according to baseball tradition

How do we know for sure Yost called it? Looked wild to me. Does someone have a hardwire to Ned's brain (now that can give rise to some great comments!).

End--not saying different opinions are bad, just thought I saw some reverse themselves, if not, I am wrong. Still, it does speak to the "instant" judgement mentality we all at times share.

Ned has shown in the past he is retaliatory (see: Pujols, Albert) when one of his batters gets hit. It is obviously a guess, but Ned's a play 'em by the book guy, and the baseball book says don't plunk lest ye want to be plunked.
"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

I didn't care if they hit somebody or not, but they sure shouldn't have hit Tejada in that spot, if that's what they did.

Maybe it was just a coinincidence. Maybe they didn't hit Braun intentionally and maybe McClung just lost his a bit inside.

I tend to think that Yost had him hit, because Yost probably thought that it was best handled right way and that both teams could put the situation behind them. Not a bad overall philosophy, but I think he kind of lost his focus on the immediate situation which probably should have overriden that philosophy.

So, may I ask, if LB made an out, did Yost make a good decision?

No. I hate putting opponents on base for free. Doing it in front of one of the best hitters in the game is monumentally stupid.

It was a poor tactical decision, regardless of result.

The decision can be defended philosophically as a larger point in the warped world of baseball's unwritten rules, but as with any academic exercise, as you continue to add facts and context the defensibility of the decision changes as it morphs from a question in a vacuum to a real-world situation.

I thought the unwritten rule was if someone hits your best batter, you hit their best batter... not the guy batting in front of their best batter

That was the part that confused me, why didn't you hit Berkman? Well, that and putting a runner on based purposely in front of one of the hottest hitters in the game.

Another very solid start for McClung so far

No bad for a guy who was called McDung by many whenever he entered a game. Time will tell if he can keep it up, but for a 5th starter, hard to complain about his results since the switch.

Archived