Brewer Fanatic

Brewers looking at Brian Roberts according to Rosenthal

Eh. It's the way he said it that makes me dismiss the story. It's one thing if he says "no comment" or something, but he pretty much said there was no truth to it whatsoever. The way he mentioned the O's trying to get the Brewers into it earlier this year, and never scouting him ... it just doesn't come off as the typical-GM-trying-to-keep-it-on-the-low stuff. I read it to be genuine.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Community Moderator

I didn't really see that myself, OSS. Melvin denied that they were specifically scouting Roberts, but he never really denied that they were interested. He never really even denied anything in Rosenthal's initial report, at least in what Tom has on the blog unless I'm missing something.

In actuality, he confirmed that the team actually did have discussions with the Orioles about Roberts in the spring (though they never really got off the ground).

Weeks barely hits enough to carry 2B, especially considering his weak defense, how could he handle 3rd?

Weeks Career is OPS is .752. The average NL position player last year OPS'd .757.

Weeks was eighth in MLB in OBP and 16th in slugging among second basemen last year.

In actuality, he confirmed that the team actually did have discussions with the Orioles about Roberts in the spring (though they never really got off the ground).

That is the interesting part. I think it was more of being a partner in a trade with the Cubs and Orioles. Which could have been interesting. But I'd like Roberts, because he's much more consistent. That's the thing that frustrates me with Weeks. Defensively, he can make the spectacular play look easy, but then a simple throw to first he botches. Hitting, he shows flashes of being the hitter everyone expected him to be, but then he's up there flailing at pitches and looking bad.

What reason exactly do the O's have for wanting to get rid of Roberts so badly? I was under the impression it was either because they want prospects or because they want to shed his contract (or don't want to pay his future contract). Either way, I can't imagine why the heck they would want Hall.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

I would have to wonder what the Orioles would want in return for Roberts. Logically I doubt that Weeks would be a player they would value as highly as the Brewers would value him. In my mind I would offer up a trade of Alcides Escobar, Jeremy Jeffress, and Hernan Irrabarean (sp?). Escobar would give them a SS that could be a very nice player. Hernan would at least give them a replacement for Roberts with some upside. Jeffress would be the high profile potential star of the trade. Is that to much for the Brewers to give up, maybe but Roberts would be a huge addition, and keeping him away from the Cubs would be huge.

The Brewers can't give up Escobar. If Hardy doesn't show some improvement, he could be in our plans pretty soon. The others you mentioned are more logical. There's an OF logjam making Hernan expendable, and Jeffress is the disappointing, high potential guy that I could see them dealing. As for the Cubs, I think that trade is dead, so no real motivation on that front.

What reason exactly do the O's have for wanting to get rid of Roberts so badly?

The salary.

Which is why there's no reason for them to take Hall since Hall's salary will be roughly similar to Roberts' salary. Doesn't make sense.

In my mind I would offer up a trade of Alcides Escobar, Jeremy Jeffress, and Hernan Irrabarean (sp?).

Maybe this is more of what the O's are looking for...in which case, no thanks.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

Weeks is cheep, not a free agent until 2011 and, at 25 years old, still would be viewed as having a lot of potential.

Roberts is proven and solid offensively and defensively (at least that's his reputation. I've seen some numbers that suggest his defense has slipped the last couple of years).

I guess I could go either way on this, straight up. I suspect that the Orioles would want more and I don't blame them, however. Some of the stuff being thrown around in that thread is insane, though.

DCab Roberts Sherrill and Burress for Escobar, Gamel, Weeks, LaPorta and Jefferess

Cabrera is Dave Bush and the Brewers are apparently supposed to overvalue Sherril because he has a lot of saves so far? What a joke.

Would the salary relief the Orioles would get be enough to make them want to do a deal like this straight up? Obviously, this trade becomes less likely in the immediate future because Rickie just got sent to the DL.

I don't see how Jeffress has been that disappointing. Personal issues aside, he is a 20 year-old who can consistently hit the mid to upper 90s, and his stats for this season are skewed by one bad outing. There is no way I would include him in a deal until we see what we have in the guys we just drafted.

Correct me if I am wrong. But isn't Rickie and Prince real tight. Isn't Rickie one of Prince's kids Godfather? I don't feel either way about it, but aren't you going to alienate one of your best players by trading his best friend?

I know Prince hasn't had the greatest year, but before the season, he was our premier player.

Just throwing it out there for thought.

I don't see how Jeffress has been that disappointing. Personal issues aside, he is a 20 year-old who can consistently hit the mid to upper 90s, and his stats for this season are skewed by one bad outing. There is no way I would include him in a deal until we see what we have in the guys we just drafted.
Jeffress has an amazingly high ceiling.

I wouldn't trade him straight up for Roberts.

I would still stick with Weeks. Now that he's on the DL, we can give him another rehab stint to work on his swing and hopefully that is the same medicine that propelled him to an outstanding end to last year's season. Roberts would probably be better for this year, but let's face it, we just don't have the pitching to contend anyways this year. We might be able to slip into the playoffs with a little luck, but after that it would take huge luck to get to the promised land.

We might be able to slip into the playoffs with a little luck, but after that it would take huge luck to get to the promised land.

I still take that. Just making the playoffs would be a huge step for this organization, even if the Brewers would lose in the first round.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I doubt our scouts being at the game has anything to do with us playing the Orioles in a couple weeks.

Normally I'd agree with you, but the Brewers don't actually have advance scouts at the major league level, unlike many teams. It's done on video.

Correct me if I am wrong. But isn't Rickie and Prince real tight. Isn't Rickie one of Prince's kids Godfather? I don't feel either way about it, but aren't you going to alienate one of your best players by trading his best friend?

I know Prince hasn't had the greatest year, but before the season, he was our premier player.

Just throwing it out there for thought.

If fear of alienating players is holding you back from improving the team, you're in the wrong job. Prince is a grown man. So is Weeks. They understand how it works, especially Fielder who's been around it all his life.

What reason exactly do the O's have for wanting to get rid of Roberts so badly?

The salary.

He's also only signed through 2009. He'll be 32 after that season. Shrimpy 2B don't always wear well into their mid-30s. Roberts may be an exception to that, though. At any rate, he doesn't figure in their long range plans. They're re-tooling around Markakis, Adam Jones, Wieters, and some decent pitching prospects. Those guys are all under 25 right now.

Jeffress has an amazingly high ceiling.

I wouldn't trade him straight up for Roberts.

Considering he struck 10 even with the runs he just gave up again, I totally agree with you.

Archived