Brewer Fanatic

Brewers looking at Brian Roberts according to Rosenthal

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brian Roberts would be absolutly ideal. Rickie Weeks hasn't produced all year and has been a dissappointment thus far in his career for that matter and needs a change of scenary. Roberts could fill 2nd base right away providing the Brewers with an excellant leadoff hitter who gets on base and steals bases, and could bring in another pitching prospect with him. Roberts is also signable if they would like to do so when he becomes a free agent. Good idea for a deal and i hope DM thinks about this one.

There was a very lively discussion of a Roberts for Weeks deal in spring training started by JoePepsi.

I said it then and it holds today that it's certainly worth considering. Roberts is a premier leadoff hitter while Weeks is still unfulfilled potential and you have to ask as he approaches 26, are we ever going to see it in a Brewer uniform.

What I like about it, is that it appears the Brewers have correctly identified one of the key problems plaguing this offense. They need more baserunners for Braun and Fielder.

I don't really want to give up on Rickie, but if we did, i'd be ok with doing it to get Roberts. he's only 30 so he'll have a few good years left. What kind of contract would he demand after free agency though? I wouldn't want to deal for him without having an extension all but in place.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

Baltimore seems to be lacking a shortstop (Bynum and Luis Hernandez getting most of the starts there this year)... throw Hall in too!

I wonder if we can trade Weeks and Hall for Brian Roberts and Chris Tillman http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/tongue.gif

Hall to Baltimore makes more sense than Weeks because a)Hall wants to be traded and b)Weeks is not healthy. The obvious question would then be, how do Weeks and Roberts fit in on the same team?

If it's Hall instead of Weeks, it would take a few very good prospects to nab Roberts. Guys like Salome and Gillespie would have to be considered.

What kind of contract would he demand after free agency though? I wouldn't want to deal for him without having an extension all but in place.

Brian Roberts inf

2 years/$14.3M (2008-09)

• signed extension 3/07
  • 08:$6.3M, 09:$8M
  • limited no-trade clause allowing Roberts to block deals to a small number of clubs each season

I'm still not ready to abandon Weeks, but if we were talking something like Hall+Gillespie, definitely count me interested. For sake of argument, would Weeks get moved to 3B possibly if they were both on the roster?

Roberts contract expires at the end of '09, when he makes $8 mil.

so would Roberts be looking for a 4/$40 kind of extension then? That makes it a little less attractive. some of the comments on mlbtraderumors.com were suggesting that we send the Orioles either Gamel or Braun, whichever one we don't see as our 3B of the future, haha.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

I think we could throw Nelson into the mix as well. Do they have anyone decent at 1B? Hall, Nelson and Gillespie for Roberts and a pitcher should get the deal done. Roberts in leadoff position would be dynamite for this team.

Archived