Brewer Fanatic

photo backup help for my mom

DHonks
hey folks, I simply backup all my photos to a backup hard drive. My mom recently went to Italy, and now I'm transfering her photos to her computer. She remembers a few years back when I lost around 500 pictures due to a hard drive crash. Are there any sites that--for a low cost--make it easy to store pictures and also to send them to a service, like Walgreens, to print? She has a photo printer, but doesn't like the way the ink smears when you barely touch them, and prefers photo labs at places like Walgreens handling the pictures.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
photobucket?
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Photobucket pares everything back to a maximum of 1024 X 768 px. Depending on what might one want to do with the picture in the future, that may or may not be significant.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I use a service from mozy.com to backup my files. For $4.95 a month you can store an unlimited amount of data and the software it pretty cool...you can specify certain folders or even files to back up on whatever schedule you'd like. It runs in the background and does everything for you once you set it up. I believe there is also a free version for up to 1 or 2 GB of data backup.

I'd highly recommend just backing up to CD-R's and keeping them someplace safe.I realize, its not online, but, you can make sure the quality stays the same, and most places can print photo's off CD's now without any problem.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I like Kodak Gallery.com - I used it for my 500 some pictures from Ireland, you can do some basic tinkering with the photos, order right from the site and pic them up from any CVS within a day or two and it's .15 a print with plenty of offers for cheap enlargements and prints.

I'd highly recommend just backing up to CD-R's and keeping them someplace safe.I realize, its not online, but, you can make sure the quality stays the same, and most places can print photo's off CD's now without any problem.

CD-Rs won't last for as long as you would want them to in this example. Five or so years down the road, you will run in to read errors on the discs and you will lose your pictures. You could do both I suppose, but I would recommend at least going with the online option if you were to choose one or the other.

Archived